Hotel Kuninkaantie

Pokhara, NepalPokhara, Nepal

Statue of Alexander IIStatue of Alexander II

Learn dancing in Helsinki

by byipkw

I am planning to travel to Helsinki and would like to take this oppotunity to participate in dance workshop. Is House Dance and Waacking Dance or hiphop dance popular in Helsinki? Any recommending dance studio to learn these dance? I've learned these dances for several years. Thank you.

by Turska

I can be wrong, but I think house isn´t very popular in Finland anymore. About waacking dance I have no idea what it is :D Never heard of :D
Could you find any help here:
There seems to be also house-dance mentioned.
What I hear from my clients (I work as a hairdresser) the most popular things are pole dance (nothing erotic, but it has those poles to use-it´s really hip now) , zumba (even more popular??), salsa and many other latino-dances.
Also Finnish dances are becomming popular kmore and more. Like Finnish tango. But it´s much slower, not so much sporty.

by penny_g

What a coincidence! It has been almost a week since I am back from Finland and I met another Bulgarian there who was visiting dance courses in the University of Helsinki, byipkw.

First of all, just not to forget to mention that at Kampi (Helsinki's main bus station) there was a scene, where a gentleman was dancing and teaching anyone willing to join salsa. It was a unique sight and I doubt I can see it in many places in the world.

As far as I know from this friend, a wide range of courses are offered - from salsa to regeton. If you want more detailed information, please ask me via email here. I will get you in touch with my friend.

by Turska

By the way,Kamppi is also the biggest shopping centre in the centre of Helsinki, the other ones area far from centre.
I haven´t seen this dancing there ever, maybe it was some kind of happening. Now we have two popular dancing shows at tv right now.
But you have new info now for the person who asked, if she still needs it :)
If you want to search happenings in Kamppi:

Travel Tips for Helsinki

Check the activities program on the boat

by marielexoteria

If you travel by boat, check out their activities program in case you can fit in something interesting. The time I went to Helsinki with Silja they had a tour to the bridge where the navigation instruments and the captain and first men work. The captain couldn't receive us but the first man did and it was very entertaining to have him explain what the different instruments did.

For safety reasons, (1) the mobile phones must be switched off when visiting the bridge and (2) digital cameras are accepted as long as no picture of the instruments or the bridge in general is taken. Being on the bridge :D

Leave town... (just for a day)

by Marpessa

Ok, this isn't exactly about Helsinki... but if you have the time, I recommend taking a short trip over to Tallinn, Estonia. It's only a short ferry ride from Helsinki and is a nice city to explore. It is so close to Helsinki, yet it's history, architecture and people are completely different.

When I went I booked my day trip with Helsinki Experts and went over with Nordic Jet (which was a very nice ferry). There are three seating classes on the ferry; 'Economy', 'Jet' and 'Business'. I was in 'Economy' and it was very comfortable. There is a bar for snacks and drinks and a shop for duty free shopping. I recommend getting to the ferry early so that you can get yourself a window seat.

Just make sure that you have any appropriate visas you may need.

Nordic Jet website: http://www-eng.njl.fi/

Green nature, shy people, exotic food...

by FinElina

When visiting Helsinki, try to visit as many places or events as possible. Don't settle for seeing just the big monuments or 'must see activities', try to find your route to the actual nature too! (yes, there are also forests and green nature in Helsinki).. Make friends with a local person, so your next trip will be even better when you have someone to visit. Taste the exotic food and the specialities we have here, though they taste ugly! At least you get one more experience of Finland!!!

The cathedral which is very...

by indyj001

The cathedral which is very close to the port.The picture is attached.Its one of the few buildings worth seeing.

The square below is always filled with activity.U may find a lot of shops in the square during the summers.

If you go by ship u wont miss this place. Katu market square ...

Do some research.On the 1st...

by Michael_D

Do some research.On the 1st trip I had some preconcieved notions about Scandanavia vs Russia(my ultimate destination) Somhow I anticipated the Finns as jovial light-hearted people that would be celebrating/anticipating a joyous summer because the winters were cold and long and May was supposed to be a good month. In reality...it snowed the day I got there...and the people..while not at all unfriendly..were very laid-back. RESERVED is the best word I can think of. The truth is..the Finns were the somber ones...and the Russians ended up being light-hearted and celibratory.GO FIGURE.

Comments