Scandic Gateway Helsinki Airport

See Amenities

airport hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 9, 2008

Incredibly modern, quiet, fuctional hotel. The hotel staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. The restaurant was good and the quality of the food was above average. The prices are high with the euro, but it had been many years since I'd been to Europe.

I would recommend the hotel if you have an early morning departure as you can easily walk to the airport from the hotel under a covered walkway. It can't be more than 200 meters. There are local bus connections about every 15 to 20 minutes and you can catch a ride to downtown (20 min ride) for about $7.00 US round trip. Easy way to get around.

Despite being located at an airport, I do not remember hearing one landing or take-off the entire stay (4 days). I felt like I was in a hotel room located inside a library...exceptionally quiet.

If I have any negative comments, the hot water could have been hotter...the sink tap water was much hotter than the shower or the tub. Also, checking under the bed for anything I may have dropped I found it could have used a good cleaning.

I would stay there again and recommend it to anyone. After searching online, I am sure there is not a newer, more modern facility in Helsinki.

Unique Quality: I stayed in a standard King room (kingsize bed) although it seemed to be an actual queen size by American standards. The room was very modern, very well designed and the bathroom was incredible. The tile floor was actually heated and the tub was nice, could be large if you have plans on sharing, but the stand up glass encased shower was very nice too.

The hotel lobby, bar and restaurant are very open, bright and inviting. It was hard to resist walking by going to the elevator to the room.

Directions: Walking distance from the Helsinki Intl. Airport

ValbyDK's Profile Photo

OK hotel for stopovers

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 23, 2007

The hotel is located inside the airport terminal. The location is perfect if you arrive late to Helsinki, and have to catch a plane the next morning.

The room was clean, but very small and without any windows. I felt like I was staying in an inner cabin on a cruise ship, but it was fine for just one night.

However, book a hotel in the city centre if you plan to stay more than one night in Helsinki. The airport is not the most interesting place to spend an evening. The hotel bar was open, and I learned that ‘Olut’ means beer in Finnish…

arcticboy's Profile Photo

An Unplanned/unwanted Stay

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 6, 2005

If you read my tips on Norway, you'll know that I stupidly forgot my passport in a cabin in Northern Norway on my way back home and didn't notice untill I was on a flight from Ivalo to Helsinki.

This also happened on a Friday evening so I wasn't able to contact the Canadian Embassy, also I had run out of money.

So to make a long story short, I ended up sleeping in various wings of the airport for a total of four nights eating only a bag of paprika chips and half a package of Wasa Bread.

The moral of the story? Always make sure you have your passport with you while overseas!

Unique Quality: Since I couldn't afford to take the bus into the city, I got very well aquainted with the Airport. Fortunately for me, Vantaa had been voted # 1 international airport 4 years in a row. So it is a very nice airport with a modern and bright design.

One great thing about the place while I was there was the luggage carts. they had little foot steps on the back and were built in such a way that if you had enough weight in front, I was able to ride them quite easily. This was especially fun since inbetween the international and domestic wing of the airport is a long corridor that slants to one side. I spent many a fun hours running and riding my cart down that corridor going at least 15-20 kms/hr. That was actually my main source of entertainment during my stay.

Another good thing about the place was that there are plenty of quiet places to sleep. Also surprisingly I wasn't bothered by any security guards during my stay.

Nearby Scandic Gateway Helsinki Airport

Scandic Gateway Helsinki Airport

• Scandic Gateway Hotel Helsinki

Address: Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, Helsinki-Vantaa Ulkomaantermin, Vantaa, Southern Finland, 01530, Finland

2 Photos of Scandic Gateway Helsinki Airport

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Helsinki Travel Forum

Need advice about Helsinki, Finland? Visit the Travel Forum for Helsinki and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Helsinki hotel reviews

Kaivohuone
Lost & Found
Saslik
Restaurants
Washing carpets at the beach
Local Customs
The Kirpila Art Collection
Design Museum
Virka Gallery
Things to Do
In the Vanha Kauppahalli (old market hall)
Restaurants
In the heart of the City
A city centre Chinese restaurant
Cultural and Quiet
Ways of getting from HEL airport to Helsinki city
Places to eat in Helsinki 4/6 - How about Finnish
Restaurants
Shopping at the central railway station
Shopping