Vapaa Aikakeskus, Imatra, The Lakelands, 55420, Finland
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

More about Imatran Kylpyla Spa

by yumyum

Kylpyla Spa is actually a hotel complex with a stylish restaurant, a self-service café with yummy ice cream and a spa area.

We visited the spa which cost Euro 13.00 per Person in March 2008. The spa area is in a nice setting and it was packed with Russians on the weekend. So don't expect any quiet bathing and all the special water taps were constantly occupied. There is a small outdoor swimming area but in winter it was rather cold so I went straight back inside. There is also a 25 m swimming pool. There are separate sauna for males/females. You are not allowed any clothes in the sauna area.

You can rent bathing suits if you don't have one but when I wanted one they only had giant sizes left. So I bought one in the shop opposite in the atrium.

When you pay your entry fee you get a wristband. Choose a locker and close the door and hold the wristband to the nearby patch and it shows your locker number. Don't let anyone come in between your clothing your locker door and the patching. It happened to me and someone else locked my locker. But this can easily be fixed.

Welcome to Imatra!

by yumyum

I first got to Imatra thanks to Risto, who took VTers vitochka, Amala and myself there in July 2005. I only found out after several hours that Risto is also a VT member.

My second visit in March 2008 was thanks to Natalya_2006 who wanted a swim and took her host Amala from Luumaeki and me to the Imatra spa in her car.

Imatra is in southern Karelia and next to the Russian border.

Risto from Lappeenranta (raton), Marja-Liisa from Luumaeki (Amala), myself and Vika from Vladivostock(Vitochka)

A small VT outing.

museummuseum

The State HotelThe State Hotel

Natasha and Marja-LiisaNatasha and Marja-Liisa

hotel complex from outsidehotel complex from outside

Helsinki to Imatra

by Mellie67

Hi,

Am flying out to see my son in Imatra. I fly into Helsinki airport but have no idea which is the best form of transport to get to Imatra. I was looking for a reliable taxi company, but not sure this is the best or most economical way as I believe it is approx a 3 hour drive?

Any help/advice would be grately appreciated.

Thanks,

Mel.

Re: Helsinki to Imatra

by Gili_S

Its easy, just take the train, it is less then 3 hours.

Re: Helsinki to Imatra

by Soili

Hello,
I think a train is a good choice. You can check the website www.vr.fi where you can get all the information about the prices and the timetables.
You could actually take a taxi from the airport to the main railway station; it wouldn't cost you more than (maximum!!) 35 euro. (It will cost me about 40 euro to get to my home, from door to door).
Just take it easy: trains are safe here in Finland. There are good buses, too, but I think trains have more space than a long distance bus (my knees suffer when I travel 3 hours in a bus..)

regards,Soili

Travel Tips for Imatra

Free maps

by yumyum

I was amazed at the map machine which gives you a free map of the Imatra and surroundings. It sits on the main drag in the center.

Update winter 2008:
Those map machines are closed for the winter.

Jazz festival

by yumyum

Every year there is a jazz festival in Imatra. There are also some stands that sell liqurish and other things and of course there are food stands with a whole variety for different tastes as well as outdoor cafes.

Imatra

by Natalya2006

Imatra Rapids was arised about 5000 years ago. In 1929 the dam was built and now one can admire the stream in summer during special starts.

"Hotel "Vationhotelli""

This hotel-castle was built in 1903 in modern style. It's located close to Imatran rapids.

"The Church of Tree Crosses"

The Church of Tree Crosses/ designed by famous architect Alvar Aalto, is architecturally an interesting building. Instead of altar painting there are tree crosses. Among the 103 windows only 2 are identical.
The Church of Tree Crosses was completed in 1957.

Comments