Piispankatu 34, Porvoo 06100, Finland
Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

Satisfaction Average

More about Porvoo

Open Air marketOpen Air market

He still doesn't know there is no lunch comingHe still doesn't know there is no lunch coming

Our engineerOur engineer

JumpingMAJ, VTer Zenlady34, Porvoo, FinlandJumpingMAJ, VTer Zenlady34, Porvoo, Finland

biking route Porvoo to/from Helsinki

by tonyheli

Could someone reply and give me a direction of biking route from Porvoo to Helsinki, better with the route map? Please reply to my email: tonyheli@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Tony

by Gili_S

As far as I know there is no dedicated bike toad between the cities, take the old road 170, signs are there, you cannot get lots.

by JohntheFinn

I know an excellent scenic route, but no way am I going to take the trouble to send it to an external email address. You get your information here in the forum where others can benefit from it or not at all.

by ZenLady34

Yup, I agree with Gil.

From Helsinki, the shortest road is the road number 170 to Porvoo. I must say that the last five kilometres are not properly marked in terms of cyclist road but you'll get there by following the bicycle road which follows, more or less the road 170. I must say that we could do better in marking the route for bicyclist properly...

Travel Tips for Porvoo

Best place to take picture of wooden houses

by jumpingnorman

If you just walk past the bridge and go to the other side of the bank, you will see the best place to take pictures at Porvoo. This is where most photographers take pictures of the wooden houses. And you will look good in your pics too! Happy Kodak moment! (Just be careful and don't fall in the water...but the slope is not too bad)

Porvoo is the second oldest town in Finland (founded in 1346), and one of the counrty’s six medieval towns. It is famous because of the wooden houses (the Old Town or Gamla Stan in Swedish) that you see by the river canal. The river Porvoonjoki flows through the town which is situated on the southern coast of Finland, approximately 50 kilometres (30 miles) east of Helsinki. Walking around the town of Porvoo and buying sweets at their main grocery

Shoes!

by ZenLady34

This is a general tip, not my favorite thing.
Take comfortable shoes to your Porvoo trip as the old town has cobbled stoned streets. High heels might not be the perfect choice for this town visit.

Changing Currency

by starship

When visiting Finland, remember that unlike her neighbors, Finland is on the Euro system. At this point, we had already visited Tallinn, Estonia and St. Petersburg, Russia which used their own native currency or took American dollars in some cases.

As Porvoo was the first real stop in Finland on our day long tour, we had not previously changed money. Some of the best exchange rates are at banks and we easily found the TA-UUDENMAAN OSUUSPANKKI in the center of Old Town Porvoo. For 50 USD we received 36.20 Euros after commission. The bank is convenient to all the attractions in Old Town and also close to the Tourist Info. Center

River Porvoo

by HORSCHECK

Porvoo is situated at the mouth of the river Porvoo (Porvoonjoki). The banks of the river invite visitors for a nice stroll. Porvoo's picturesque Old Town is located at the eastern side of the River, where at Jokikatu various restaurants can be found. Among them is the Restaurant Ship Glückauf (see my Restaurant Tips).

Porvoo

by Gili_S

Porvoo is a small town about 35 km to the east of Helsinki.
It is surely worth a day visit especially during the spring or summer. The old city, I visit here every year for a day trip and I am always enjoying it.

Comments