Cumulus

Cumulus Mikkeli
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Mikkeli

Street musicants from America and me:)Street musicants from America and me:)

War time telegram/telex machinesWar time telegram/telex machines

Marshall Mannerheim's private train compartmentMarshall Mannerheim's private train compartment

Garden by Lake SaimaaGarden by Lake Saimaa

Is Mikkeli a good place for summer holidays?

by Gemi_7

Hi, my name is Alya. I'm from Saint-Petersburg. I'm going to Mikkeli(Finland) for studying in its uni in summer. It's a summer programme. I'm interested if it's nice place... What else can i do there apart from studying?
Alya.

Re: Is Mikkeli a good place for summer holidays?

by Gili_S

To be honest, Mikkeli is not good place at all, it is very boring and besides getting drunk, there is not much to do. You can only hope for a good weather and Keti advice is good to explorer the beautiful nature around.

by Soili

Hello Alya,
Goodness, Gil has totally wrong information about Mikkeli..:))
Wel, yes, I think it is a very small place, but a perfect place for anyone who needs a lot of peace and quiet.
The lakes are there, I mean many, many lakes - and definitely a lake and a sauna is a good combination.
With your fellow friends attending the summer uni courses you won't have any problems tehre.
If you're getting bored, the train (or buses, cheaper for students, should be 25 euros to come and return) take you to Helsinki.
The market place is the place to have your cup of coffee..
take care,
Soili, whose mother wass born near Mikkeli

by Gili_S

Hi Soili,
I am sure you know Mikkeli better then I do, but still, you did not pointed a single place of activity in Mikkeli city that visitor can do. That is what I meant, if anyone thinks that the city is there and there are things to choose from, I believe there is none. In such a place, you have to create something to get out of the bored.
I did not check yet, did anyone have here already Mikkeli page?

by Gemi_7

Re: Is Mikkeli a good place for summer holidays?

by baronedivandastad

Let's be more specific. There are a number of interesting things you can do around Mikkeli. A must trip takes you to Retretti in the Punkaharju area, which is one of the most beautiful roads in the world. Tampere, Kuopio, Joensuu and Lappeenranta aren't far away, and you can visit a couple of natural parks nearby.
Otherwise come to the capital area and you'll have a lot to do in there. You're welcome for a glass of wine!
mac The Baron

thanks

Travel Tips for Mikkeli

Gathering at the market place cafe

by Soili

The market place is very central in Mikkeli. People gather there, and here you can also hear some of the Mikkeli dialect.
Don't be afraid if people come and actually talk to you: they mean no harm, they're just friendly. Even if you don't have a common language.

Two day trip to Mikkeli

by ZenLady34

Our friends have a cottage by the lake Saimaa, only nine kilometres from Mikkeli city center. They invited us over for a couple of days and so we decided to go. As Mikkeli is located only three hours of drive from our hometown Porvoo we decided to go there by car.

Mikkeli is not a big city. I wouldn't call it a city at all. It is rather a town than a city, like my hometown Porvoo. Mikkeli has only 46.000 inhabitants on an area of 1 622 km², where from 18,7 % is water.

The city center is quite small and we could not find a local restaurant in the area. The life seemed to be focused at the market place, where one can find few cafeterias and buy some local handicraft's and watch people walking by.

In my opinion best of Mikkeli is its location. It is in the middle of very beautiful lake area and surrounded by nature. There are absolutely many possibilities for an active holiday, like paddling the Oravanreitti (Squirrel route). It actually goes from Juva to Sulkava and is 52 km's of length.

In Mikkeli area one can also enjoy different Trails, more information on the official Mikkeli Tourist Office pages, take a look!

Mikkeli Tourist Office pages offers very good information on activities, accomondation, sights etc.

Not quite what you might expect......

by gordonilla

"The Marshall's Rocking Chair"

During my initial trip to Finland, my friends Irja and Hannu took me to some interesting places.

The picture is of me sitting on an armchair which was used by Marshall Mannerheim. The chair is in a Manor house which was used as the Marshall's billet during the War. This was the house he left to sign the peace treay with the Soviet Union.

The house itself, at this time of my visit, owned by the widow of opera singer, Marty Talvela; and we had a pleasant afternoon with the owner and her weekend guests.

Wonderful hospitality, coffee and cakes.

"Mikkeli generally"

Mikkeli is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Southern Savonia region.

The municipality has a population of 48,757 (31 March 2010) with some 34,000 in the actual town. The area captured by the Municipality is 2,124.62 sq km of which 423.2 sq km is water.

Mikkeli was the site for the headquarters of the Finnish armed forces during World War II. In recognition of this, the coat of arms shown incorporates crossed Marshal's batons, and the Cross of Liberty, awarded to the town is also displayed within the coat of arms.

My hometown Mikkeli

by Chatte40

Summerflowers beside Mikkeli-library.

This building is opposite the flowers above, the colour suits well to them...Frontdoor looks nicer, this is from backyard...

View from library to Mikkeli, marketplace is nearly front of you, just outside my picture :))

Kirkkopuisto, our park, is located in the middle of town. This wooden stage is a part of old church. Nowadays there`s concerts etc. on summertime. And a playing-place for kids.
My daughter`s going to refresh herself...

Cold water....

Nice statue, swans, in the middle of pool. Swan is our nationalbird.

I visited in Rapion Mylly this summer. It`s an old mill (?) about 50 kilometers from Mikkeli to north, direction Savonlinna. In summer there`s a theater-performances.
Nice place.

Look at these flowers, idyllic!!

Comments