Hotel Yopuu

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Jyväskylä

Free parking in Jyvaskyla

by Natalya2006

Is there a free parking in Jyvaskyla (not far from the city center) where I can leave a car for a night?
Thanks in advance for the reply.

by Gili_S

Of course, Jyväskylä is not so big. It's also depends where actually you need to leave your car, at the hotel I stayed it was for free, I think it is only cost till 18:00 in the city center, the rest of the city should be for free.

There is no parking near the hotel Omena in Jyvaskyla :-(
Can I leave my car near the other hotel (not where I stay)?
I don't want to get the ticket :-)

by Gili_S

The streets marked very clear in international signs with time of pay parking. Common is 9:00 to 17:00 weekly days. Saturday is usually shorter time and Sunday free. If there are no P signs then the parking is free.
And by the way, are you with a Russian registered car? To tell you a small secret? If you do get a parking ticket you can just trash it ;-)

by Natalya2006

Yes, my car is with the russian numbers.
I am a honest person. Pathological honest.
:-)

by Turska

Sorry to say,but there are no free parking-places at Jyväskylä.I have known this town better than Tampere my first 21 years and when I had just got my driving license and I thought that there was no free places then.So I asked my friend,who still lives there.She said there are practically none alltime-free parkinplaces there.Only some little ones near big blockhouses,but she said ´she don´t remeber the addresses.

If you only use the nighttime-parking,the free time might start at 18.00 or 20.00 and ends at 8.00 in the morning.At saturday it ends at 16 and sunday is free as Gili said.

by Natalya2006

Thank you, friends, for your replies.

by Turska

I just came back from Jyväskylä.The closest parking-area to Omena is in front of Gigantti-shop.Check here:
It´s not free,but it´s free at night.I forgot to check if it was after 18 or after 20,but anyway,it´s very close to Omena.

Gili_S:
>And by the way, are you with a Russian registered car? To tell you a small
> secret? If you do get a parking ticket you can just trash it ;-)

Aren't parking rules mandatory to comply with for any driver in Finland? Or do russian cars have some priviledges in parking? ;) I'm just interesting, i travel by car from Russia too. :)
Couple of my friends got problems in getting next finnish visa in S-Petersburg. Just because of unpaid parking fine...

Natalya2006, there are two indoor parking places (or parking shelters; parkkitalo) right near Omenahotelli on Vapaudenkatu. One is in 20 seconds by feet, second is in 1 minute. Of course, it's not for free, but payment is not so big either. I spent ~8e for one night (whole day was for 10e).
But there are some outdoor parking places right in front of parking shelter located on Väinönkatu - they are free from 21:00 till 9 or 10:00 and all day on Sunday.
And, by the way, as i remember Omena have some parking places on 'backyard', but i don't know if they are free for visitors or cost something.

Ah, have found a map with parking places:
I was talking about P3 and P5.

by Gili_S

try and see if you get visa next time.... ;-)

by smbd

i'm sure i won't get visa if i leave parking fine unpaid.
Just wondering, why did you say that one can throw away parking fine if he/she drives a car with russian registration.
Are you egging that driver on to receive a ban next visa?

by Gili_S

Well, I don't know about visa, I never applied for Schengen visa ;-)
I just know that the authorities cannot do much about tourist cars parking without payment, it is the good will of the tourist if he do go to the bank and pay the fine. Anyhow, do not understand me wrong, of course you should try to avoid parking in wrong places, but sometimes tourist might not know the local rules.

by smbd

Well, i heard that while issuing a visa, general embassy of Finland checks finnish authorities to see if one have any law violations or any fines unpaid. And if so, it refuses a new visa and gets that person to "black-list" (often named as quarantine).
Well, maybe it is more correct to say that finnish authorities have not much to force foreign driver to pay a fine, but that driver will certainly get troubles receiving next visa (any schengen, not just finnish). And surely he can have current visa cancelled if traffic violation was something like severe speeding or drunk-driving.

So, general advice can be smth like: do not throw parking ticket away and just pay it as soon as possible if you happenned to receive such. And do not fall apart: finnish parking inspectors can be very kind to explain parking rules (especially about parkkikiekko) instead of writing a small fine.
At least one among all inspectors :))

Travel Tips for Jyväskylä

Town of students

by Turska

"This was only real town for me as a teenager"

We lived 100km from Jyväskylä,and I studied later in Petäjävesi,witch was veru close here.We spent a lot of time in Jyväskylä,but I don´t go there often anymore-just wanted to add something about it here.
People say that this is Athens of Finland.Don´t expect any historical places here-this name is because of so many students.I don´t know if there´s so much students in Athens,but so seem to Finnish people think-maybe taht´s true.

Comments