Ivalo Hotels

Our Members Say

• hazped profile photo hazped
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wilderness Lodge: Totally Rustic

This hotel is in a beautiful location and is basically wooden lodges. Please don't be put off by first appearances and relax and enjoy the surroundings and enjoy something different from the "Hilton" or "Sheraton". It is warm, comfortable but quite basic but has a unique charm which made our stay there enjoyable. There is no bar or normal facilities like a reception but the owners and staff are very friendly and very helpful. The additional excursions like ice hole fishing and snowmobiling were just fantastic and the guides were fists class. I have to admit the food was on a take it or leave it basis with no facilities for a cup of tea or coffee. The bar only opens when the owner has time or is available so expect quiet evenings chatting to your fellow guests.
It is a hotel with a difference and gives a more authentic feel to your stay in Lapland.

Location, friendliness of staff and unique accomodation (even the lamp shades are wooden).

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Adventure Travel
  • Written December 12, 2005

• ubiq profile photo ubiq
  • Reviews: 75
Saariselkä trekking and skiing resort: Saariselkä trekking and skiing resort

There are quite many mispels - I will ocrrect them quite soon (I was asked to cover Saariselkä at VT quite quiclky and my keyboard is loaded with ash fro smoking) :-/

Saariselkä Centre is about 40 kilometers from Ivalo to the south. It is a major accommodation centre and good base among *all* Ivalo and Lapland faciilities in the north-east part of Lapland.

Saariselkä itself is not a place or village in the traditional sense of village or town, but on othe other hand, it is not a tourist trap. It is just a centre for tourists fror base to make trips. Many Finns go to Saariselkä for winter skiings.

You can decide your accomodation level quite freely at Saariselkä:
- resort / 4-star hotels
- 3-star terrace houses
- tent in a wood (recommended; with no costs)

It is articifially created tourist village, but it gathers many Finns yearly basis and most of best ways to enjoying Lapland in shortly: skiing, snowboarding, trekking, 'mönkijä' trails, gold mining etc.

have personally started my snowwboarding and telemark skiing there at Spring 1982. For eco-lovers, I have to told, as I am, I started also my motor skiing at Saaari before of Finnish legislations of thaaaat tihng.It is articifially created tourist village, where tourist might meet any natives live, but it gathers most of best ways to enjoying Lapland in shortly: skiing, snowboarding, trekking, 'mönkijä' trails, gold mining etc. I have personally started my snowwboarding and telemark skiing there at Spring 1982. For eco-lovers, I have to told, as I am, I started also my motor skiing at Saaari before of Finnish legislations of thaaaat tihng.

Saariselkä has post office, shops, warm swimming pools, even the respiratory and peaceful wilderness - actually not-so-wilderness- chuch for praying, but the chucrh is normally empty and if you ask, your own religiion will be respected.

It is articifially created tourist village, where tourist might meet any natives live, but it gathers most of best ways to enjoying Lapland in shortly: skiing, snowboarding, trekking, 'mönkijä' trails, gold mining etc. I have personally started my snowwboarding and telemark skiing there at Spring 1982. For eco-lovers, I have to told, as I am, II motor skiing at Saariselkä before of Finnish legislations of that tihng.

• Opinion of Price: about average