Pohtimolammentie 203, Rovaniemi, 97220, Finland
Expedia.com Travelocity Despegar.com

Costs 155% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Rovaniemi

Arcticum MuseumArcticum Museum

Hello there buddy!Hello there buddy!

Lisa, me Don and Anu VT meeting at Hemingway'sLisa, me Don and Anu VT meeting at Hemingway's

Mail to Santa ClausMail to Santa Claus

clothes

by amandine.7

Hi!

I'm about spending a few months in Rovaniemi for my studies and I would like to know the average of the prices of warm clothes (underwear, trousers, shoes and coat) in Rovaniemi.

Thanks and regards

Go to Sampokeskus:
And you will find Seppälä, Moda, vero Moda etc little cheaper shops for clothes. You can also buy clothes from Prisma and Citymarket, witch might be the cheapest opinions, but I don´t remeber how far from centre they are. Those are big supermarkets,with big parking-areas,usually outside the centre (but with bus-connections).
Prices can be so different depending what you want to buy. Shoes are most expensive in Finland, very warm shoes can be from 50 to 100e usually. If they are not real leather , the "plastic-leather" will get broken if it´s under -10c or something.
Underwaer you will find cheap, but mostely we use same kind of underwear at winter, only maybe some long pants, witch are easy to find cheap for Seppälä or those big supermarkets.
Coats you might find from 30 to what ever. It depends on material and lenght and so on. Quilted jackets are cheapest. I think that it´s the same with trousers. I am more a skirt-person myself, but my husband wear jeans, and they are sometime 30e in Seppälä. They are mostly warm enough.

by Turska

Tell you the truth, I hate cold weather, i hate minus degrees, I hate winter-and yet I´ve born in Finland!
Last years I have had troubles findin me warm clothes. People keep saying that winters aren´s so cold anymore, we don´t need them. But I´m freezin in -5c!! Can´t tell you how cold I was last winter,and I got depressed, didn´t want to go out at all, when it was -20c or more for A MONTH!!! It is like hell to me. One person once said, that if hell exists, it is cold for her. I agree!
So I try to buy warm clothes when I´m travelling! It´s so grazy, I have found warmer skirts and shirts from Spain for example! (I can´t use woolen shirt at my work).
I´m allready scared to think, how will I survive next winter, after this so lovely summer! This has been a pardise to me! Maybe I have to find clothes to buy from net-from other countries.
Quilted jackets are of course warm, but I just hate how they make me look-even if mostly I think like Fugu-it´s better to be warm than stylish. (And in my style Dr. Martins and wooles socks would be more my style than "official fashion"!) :D

by Turska

We are now going off topic (again?) but I can tell you what my mother thinks;) She said I "got started" at Creece,and that´s why I don´t like winter and snow :D
I´ll hope for long warm autumn too! And warm weekend-we are heading to our summer-cottage tonight! And stay three nights. I love to go there, but it´s too far to visit often.

Travel Tips for Rovaniemi

City web site

by ealgisi

Want to have general information about the city, events, shops, restaurants etc...
I suggest to go and check out the official Rovaniemi city web site, you can also download brochures, maps, etc...

Strolling

by Jusba

The best thing to do in Rovaniemi is just to stroll around the city and (especially highlighted in the picture) Ounasvaara region.
In the wintertime the small hill offers great fun alpine skiing, sledding or just for a walk. In the summer the forest is beautiful (but beware of the mosquitos, their small but annoying!) try walking on the top or hiking in around. Or go to the river, rent a boat, take sun, RELAX! I miss the ease in everything...

Rovaniemi - the Capital of...

by mocneto

Rovaniemi - the Capital of Lapland an international, developing town of business, administration and education, is located at the confluence of Lapland’s mighty rivers Kemijoki and Ounasjoki. As the capital
of the province, Rovaniemi has always been a gateway to Lapland.
Rovaniemi has maintained contact with the surrounding countryside but the urban infrastructure creates opportunities for deveploment and also provides versatile educational and cultural facilities. Within 10 kilometers from the city centre you can find undisturbed nature or a busy international airport. Rovaniemi remembers its past but is not afraid to look into the future. People enjoy living here and are also friendly towards visitors. Arktikum at Rovaniemi is a science centre and museum focusing on the Arctic regions and presenting the life, natural habitats, history, customs and cultures of the peoples living north of the Arctic Circle. Arktikum is also a meeting and conference centre and a sight in itself.

Nature and where is Rovaniemi

by Fjord87

Rovaniemi is located in the branch of two rivers, Ounasjoki and Kemijoki (joki = river). The city is surrounded by fjelds, small mountains or big hills. Because Rovaniemi is only 8 kilometers south from the Arctic Circle, it is mostly surrounded by evergreen conifer forests. The city is not very wide, and only 5 kilometers from the town, where I live, the landscape has merged into forests instead of roads.

There are also many small lakes around Rovaniemi, and people have summercottages around them.

Finland is said to be the country of thousand lakes and neverending forests. The truth is, that we have 180 times 1000 lakes!! 180 000!! Can you believe that? I dropped from my chair when I heard that.

There are about 42 000 different species of animals, plants and fungi in Finland. Here are some examples of them.

Large mammals: moose, bear, wolf, lynx, reindeer, deer.
Medium mammals: hare, fox, beaver, pine marten, wolverine.
Small mammals: mouse, shrew, lemming, stoat.

Large birds: swan, pheasant, goose, eagles, hawks, owls.
Medium birds: crow, raven, magpie, goldeneye, duck, woodpecker
Small birds: great git, robin, blue tit, yellow-hammer

Insects: mosquitoes, ladybugs, small butterflies, bumblebees, wasps... about 20 000 different species, but none of them are really hazardous or horribly big.

Amphibians: lizard, frogs, viper (the only poisonous snake).

Fish: salmon, pike, perch, whitefish, bream, baltic herring..

Because Rovaniemi's nature is very similar to the nature in the rest of Finland, this page will be very useful to you if you wanna know more:
And on this page you can see sattelite map of Rovaniemi: (later)

Weather all around the year

by Fjord87

I love the Rovaniemi weather! In Finland we have all fours seasons. Here's how they are in Rovaniemi.

Winter in Rovaniemi is cold - usually something between -5 and -25 degrees celsius. We have a lot of snow. The winters are dark and we have the so called "Kaamos", dark period when sun never gets above the horizon. This is because the Earth is tilted on it's axis: northern and southern areas are either really sunny or really dark, depending on the season. In the winter we have beautiful natural lights: the beautiful Aurora Borealis. Winter is from November to the half of April.

Spring is warmer than winter, from -8 to +8 degrees, (warmer in the end of the spring), but there's still enough snow! Springtime starts in the second half of April, and lasts until the first days of June. During the spring snow starts melting and sun starts shining more & more. Snow reflects the sun beautifully and there's light everywhere! Early spring is the best time to do wintersports. When it comes closer to June, snow has melted and the summer starts.

Summer is lovely. In the summer people get active. It's about +18 to +30 degrees warm. Usually it's sunny, but there can be cloudy summers too. In the midsummer Finland is best!!! People are active and happy and there's a big midsummer feast all over Finland (June 21st). Summer lasts from June till mid-August.

Autumn is a colourful season. All trees turn yellow and red, and the ground gets covered in berries and mushrooms. Also the grass-root plants get painted in red and brown. The weather can be from +18 to -8 celsius, depending on what stage of autumn we are. From mid-August to September the autumn is lovely, but October is probably the ugliest month of the year, because it's so dark, the leafs from the trees have dropped and the snow hasn't come yet. But the whole year apart from October is lovely!

The best time to come is either in March-April, or from late June to the mid-July.

Comments