Sokos Hotel Arina

Tags

Sailing and Boating Family Travel Disabilities
See Amenities

Disappointed experience in Sokos Oulu

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 26, 2010

I stayed in oulu sokos from Dec 18th 2010 to Dec 23rd 2010, 5 nights in total. My company booked the room for me through travel agency. The room was double room.

When my friend asked if she could come visit and stay with me in the room for 3 nights, I said of course. We got the second key card from reception when she arrives at Dec 19th. Everything went normal, she checked out at Dec 22nd.
The morning when I checked out at 6am Dec 23rd, I was informed that I have to pay 60 euros for her stay for 3 nights. I was so shocked by the notice. It is ok for hotel to have its own policy/rule, but when surprised me the most was that I was not informed when my friend checked in.

At first I thought it was a quite common rule in Finland that even nobody bothers to inform guest about this. But after I checked with my colleagues in Finland, colleagues in NA, Germany, they say it is not the common rule. So if this is not written in law, from my understanding, it should be hotel's obligation to inform guest that they are charged per person not per room!!! If I was informed earlier, my friend would choose to stay with other Fin's house instead of in my hotel room.

It is my 3rd time being in Finland and it is by far the most disappointed one.

I have my colleague in Oulu called the hotel and they replied that they are "sorry" that they didn't inform earlier, but they don't refund either.

I am so disapointed about the service and attitude that I would never choose it again. And this is always a nice story to tell about Sokos!

Merry Christmas!

Unique Quality: Awful service

Elena77's Profile Photo

Nice town centre hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 20, 2008

This hotel is located at the town centre of Oulu. Within walking distance there are many restaurants, bars and shops. The standard rooms are a bit small but clean, very well equipped (minibar, TV, radio, hair dryer, safe, air condition) and do have modern furnishings. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and on request they equipped us with a town map and some tips for sight seeing. At the reception there also are plenty of brochures/ city guides in various languages available.

Unique Quality: At Sokos Hotel Arina you will also find: a parking garage (fee: 10,00 €uros/ day), a guest sauna, wireless broadband connection in all rooms and, for sure, one of the best breakfast buffets that I have ever been "setting about"! ; ) The hotel also houses 4 restaurants (including a French and a Spanish one).
There are different types of rooms: standard, superior, family rooms and rooms for disabled. Most of these are non smoking rooms.
The hotel offers 24 h check in.

Directions: At the centre of Oulu. Close to pedestrian zone and harbour.

Gili_S's Profile Photo

The Sokos Hotel Arina

by written on December 23, 2007

The Sokos Hotel Arina is just by the pedestrian street in the centre of the shopping district of the city, it is a good location but do not expect it to be any peaceful.

Best location hotel with great breakfast

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 12, 2005

Recently renovated (2004) and now the room we got was in very good condition. New furniture big bathroom with tub etc. Reasonable room rates when location and room quality is taken into consideration.

Location is great, if not best in the city of Oulu, in the old city centre close to pubs, bars, shops and restaurants.

Only the soundproofing left a lot to be desired..

Unique Quality: Breakfast (full buffet style) was included in the rate and was excellent and easily worth EUR 10 per person.

nomadig's Profile Photo

Just little bit better accommodation

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 2, 2005

Sokos Hotel Arina is a typical good quality Finnish hotel. The lobby is airy, corridors are clean, rooms have good furniture and the bathroom is excellent compared to hotels with the same pricetag abroad. The location next to Rotuaari is very central.

The amenities cater for both the pleasure and the business traveller; every room has a net connection and Sonera wireless lan is available in the hotel, too.

There are also saunas available every day and some rooms have a private sauna (and bigger price). The buffet breakfast is excellent and will keep the hunger away for best part of morning.

Directions: On corner of Pakkahuoneenkatu and Rotuaari

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Oulu Travel Forum

Need advice about Oulu, Finland? Visit the Travel Forum for Oulu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Oulu hotel reviews