The choice microclimate, pebbly limestone soil and low yields of the Vorbourg enable Riesling, Gewurz-traminer, Tokay Pinot Gris and Muscat to reveal their specific character.
When Bishop Heddo of Strasbourg founded the convent of Ettenheim in 762, he bequeathed to it the ancestral vines of the Vorbourg of Rouffach. The bishop also left fine Vorbourg vineyards to the Eschau foundation. According to the historian Theobald Walter, there was hardly any religious foundation that did not obtain great benefit from the work of the winegrowers of Rouffach...
Typical characteristics :
The Vorbourg produces fine, powerful wines that age well and thus develop aromas of peach, apricot, mint, hazelnut...
22nd Eco-biological Fair from May,20th untill May,24th 2004.
Witches'Fete: The 3rd saturday of July at 14:30.
Musicalta : from the 20th of July untill the 8th August. Informations at Phone number : + 33 3 89 47 59 93.
Rouffach's fete or S'Ruffacherfàscht :
the Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th August from 07H00 till 1H00 as well as the 11th and et Tuesday 12th August from 19H00 till 1H00.
Patron's and communal festival on August 15th .
Wine exhibition the last week-end of november at the Lycee Agricole et Viticole, from 10:00 to 19:00. Entrance fee 5euros winetasting glass as courtesy.
Weekly and "BIO" market on Wednesdays from 17:00 till 19:00 hours, some "BIO" products : Breads, dairy,vegetables,, fruits, sirups, marmelades .
Fair each 2nd Saturday of the month.
City of revolting woman
A significant vicus Roman was on the site of the city, precisely under the southern half. Occupied at the Roman time, its name " Rubeaquum " or " Red water " referring to its high iron content still testify to it.
Royal field at the Frankish time it was, according to the tradition, offered to the bishop of Strasbourg by " King Dagobert ".
Rouffach then became a church town of the episcopal seigniory of the " Mundat " or " Immunity ".
The bishop of Strasbourg who already during the 7th century owned there the castle of " Isenbourg ", fortified Rouffach during the 11th and 12th centuries.
Rouffach will remain until the 13th century the only fortified city of the High Rhine.
In 1106, the future emperor Henri V resided at the castle and the inhabitants were roughed up by his people.
The inhabitants revolted, expelled him and confiscated his royal badges. But, angry, he came back and set fire to the city.
Legend has it that it was the women who took the weapons and drove out the King, because the men did not have the courage.
Since this act of bravery the women occupy the pews on the right-hand side in the church (and not those of left like elsewhere in Alsace).
The city and the castle which were devastated in 1198 by King " Philippe of Swabia", against whom the bishop of Strasbourg had revolted, were extended during the 13th century.
In the 14th century, Rouffach knew persecutions against the Jews, then was plundered by the " Armagnac " in 1444 and completely depopulated by the Thirty Years' War.
In 1663, the bishop of Strasbourg recognized the sovereignty of France over Rouffach and Mundat.
Rouffach is also the birthplace of the marshal " Lefèbvre ", marshal of Napoleon 1st .
"symbol of the city"