Bateau Hotel l'Elegant

The spire of the DomeThe spire of the Dome

University GardensUniversity Gardens

Brussels??? OR Strasbourg???

by vaproska

Seeing in our medias as 'a view from Brussels'...
Is it right?
I've been to Strassburg before and this looks pretty much same as there...
V.

PS: http://www.mediapool.bg/show/?storyid=10866&srcpos=78

by Sjalen

I wish I could read Bulgarian so I could tell you my view on Brussels :)

by mariev

The photo certainly looks like the EU parlament buiding in Strasbourg rather than the one one in Buxelles.
(photos from the EU parliement website: http://pe.microservice.fr/4DCGI/FR/rech?A=&D1=&D2=&T=2&N=&P=1&NB=15&R1=1&vtOK1.x=58&vtOK1.y=13)

by Sjalen

Yes I misunderstood your question - it is indeed Strasbourg.

by Beausoleil

jacom_m has a photo on VT at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/24f4d/

This is the Brussels EU building.

There is a building in Strasbourg that looks much like it but a bit more modern and sleek. I'll dig mine up and post it on a Strasbourg page. It's an oldie because we haven't gone out to that area for years and years. We like Old Town better . . . although the Orangerie nearby is beautiful, especially the storks.

by Sjalen

Beausoleil, sorry but the Bulgarian photo IS Strasbourg. The photo you see on jacob_m's page isn't the European Parliament at all by the look of it, but the head office of the European COMMISSION. That building is called Berlaymont and on my Brussels page I have a photo of what it looks like after it was renovated due to asbestos leakage.

by Beausoleil

Thank you. I realized my mistake when I read Gaminari's post on another version of this same question. I've never been to Brussels but it sure didn't look like the European Parliament Bldg. in Strasbourg as it looks from the water side. All the glass office-type buildings built after the war tend to look alike to me anyway. We saw the European Parliament Building in Strasbourg on our first visit to Strasbourg and I took two photos of it (which I just posted) and we've never returned to see the building again. We like the Old Town and the Petite France sections so much better although I must admit a fondness for the Orangerie.

At least this had prompted me to finally put something on my Travel Pages about Strasbourg. We usually stay in a nearby wine village when we're in the area and don't always go into Strasbourg.

Again, thanks for the correction. I appreciate it.

by Sjalen

Yes Strasbourg is very nice with the Vosges nearby and vineyards and excursions to Germany and Switzerland...:)

Travel Tips for Strasbourg

The Cathedral, interior

by bugulma

The nave fill me with marvel by the harmony of its proportions. It kept most of its stained-glass windows with golden burst that, as I've heard, were made in the city by local glassmakers. The interior completely keep up the impression of the Middle Ages and the feeling that you're participant of life of the medieval city.

Violet flavoured lemonade

by Kate-Me

Friends took us out to lunch in Strasbourg to a restaurant they considered typical of Alsace, and they urged us to try a special drink which was on the menu......lemonade flavoured with violet syrup (made from real violets!) I was a bit hesitant but decided to try it anyway, since they all said it was their favorite......and it was actually rather delicious! And it's pink!
The taste is hard to describe, but the closest we'd have to its flavour in Australia is a drink called Creamy Soda (which is red or brown).
Was really glad I tried this drink. Several other places in France also used Violets - for example in Bordeaux we had a dessert which had lollies made from Violets on the top (tasted rather strange) and had the appearance of shriveled walnuts.

Other specialties of Alsace include Choucroute (sauerkraut) and Tarte Flambe (in German it's something like Flamen Kuchen) which is translated on english menus as "Alsacian Pizza" but it seems to be much more than this, though the base is pizza-like.

The astronomical clock

by MEdelmann

When you visit the cathedral (I repeat DON`T forget it.....) look at this beautiful astronomical clock. It looks wonderful and it was the last picture I could take because the camera gave up....

This is not the only interesting in the cathedral. You must keep your eyes widely open and take a lot of time to explore it ...

In strasbourg , it is nice way...

by Dophinfly

In strasbourg , it is nice way visit around by boat . It will spend a hour and they take you go over the town . You can visit almost all important places in Strasbourg and there also introduce the history through radio . But look at the picture , it was raining whlie I visited . :(

Alsacian restaurant, I

by call_me_rhia about Au vieux strasbourg

This typical restaurant is a few minutes walk from the cathedral, in one of the side lanes near the Marché aux Cochons de Lait. It's tiny and cosy, with a traditional wooden interior - and friendly (and rushed9 staff. Tarte Flambée (Flammekuche)- which is a sort of very thin pizza-like dish without the tomato sauce, cheese, onions, sour-cream (and even speck sometimes).

Comments