Bayonne Hotels

Our Members Say

• mikey_e profile photo mikey_e
  • Reviews: 1956

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Port Neuf: Centrally located, but humid as hell

I was rather lucky when I got to Bayonne and found that there was still one room available at the Hotel du Port Neuf. It is not the Ritz, but compared to the dump I stayed in when in Pau, it was extremely comfortable and welcoming. The room was clean, with a large comfortable bed, television, large closet and decent bathroom with good hot water pressure. The windows were small and hard to open (because they were right up against the ceiling, and I am short), but luckily the weather was cool and the room did not heat up too much. All in all, there was little remarkable about the room itself, as it was the standard selection that you might expect in the 40-50 euro range, with standard comforts and a fairly quiet room. The one problem was the humidity. Yes, I know, this is an odd complaint, but try staying in a place like Bayonne and you will realize that a somewhat drier room is a good thing. The air was so saturated with humidity that it took a good 5 minutes to open or close the door, as it stuck horribly in the door jamb. This was especially problematic when I wanted to leave, as I was never quite sure that I had locked the door properly. The humidity also led to a fair crop of mosquitoes that ate up my body.

Without a doubt, the best part of this hotel is that it is right in the centre of Grande Bayonne. I know that the city is not that large to begin with, but it is extremely handy given the very frequent showers and thunderstorms that are characteristic of the area. It is also very near a number of excellent restaurants and cafes, and indeed the ground floor is a bar/cafe that is open from about 8am to 7pm.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average