Formule 1 Bordeaux Ville

Grand Théâtre de BordeauxGrand Théâtre de Bordeaux

mi'smi's

Simple Life

by robhallums

Hi, or bonjour, or Salut - I never know which one to use!!

Anyway, I have been in Bordeaux for a few weeks now and I am settling in quite nicely. I started my new job in June and will only be here until the end of July - I'm training. Basically I am trying to live a normal life here, but it is very difficult meeting people about the city.

I was just wondering if people had any suggestions for things to do, the best places to meet people (that are not on holiday) or failing that, any ideas of things to see, places to go.

As I am here for a while yet, it would be great to get some ideas rather than just stumbling around on my own, taking chances - which I believe I can do only for so long (about three weeks is my limit!!)

It will be good to hear from you

Thanks

Rob

RE: Simple Life

by zuriga

Head for the lovely towns of the wine country.. east of Bordeaux. There's St. Emilion for one. I'd also rent a car and explore the Dordogne region and/or the Lot Valley. They're full of great things to see and do.

by robhallums

Thank you for the advice - I have one petite problem... I cant drive :-(

I really wish I could though - I would visit these places vary quickly... and the beach would be more accessible to. The local trains just arent designed to cope with this heat.

I will do my best to visit the wine villages/towns though...

Do you know much about Bordeaux the City? The biggest problem I have with visiting local towns is that I dont finish work until 6.30-7pm so I am stuck in my flat unless I go out exploring. I just feel that I have explored the city so much, I might now be overlooking some key places to visit, maybe some friendly bars/cafes etc... it's always very hard to tell these things - especially when you don't speak the language.

Unfortunately, the friendliest bar I have found so far is my local Irish pub (just round the corner from me) and I really want to stretch a little further.

I will visit the outskirts and other villages over the weekends though :-)

Thanks

Rob

by zuriga

I understand all too well about not driving. I'm a transplanted Yank who lives in Surrey. :-) After having driven many,many years, it's been healthy to start walking more but I do miss having a car at times. When we go to Provence in September, it will be my partner having a tough time for once!

Well, see what you can and enjoy all the adventures. I know nothing at all about Bordeaux itself.. have only seen the airport and that's about it. Do what you can by rail or bus - maybe it will cool down or you'll make some friends at work. Good luck!

by Mique

A good way of getting to know some people (in any country) is to join a gym, dance classes, local language school or something like that. Things that can be done after work. And who knows you might make friends and one might have a car and drive you up to St. emilion ;-)

Good luck

by nzobx

Try the Saint-Pierre bars, place Camille Jullian, or Place de la Victoire if you want to meet students. And Quai de Paludate, between 2 and 4 am :)

You can go to the beach with regular buses that go from the train station, departing in the morning and coming back @ around 18:00... I've read there was a special operation, 2 euro round trip, but I dunno if it's for everyone.

If you've got more questions just ask ;)

Travel Tips for Bordeaux

Eglise St-Michel

by Klod5

Le quartier Saint-Michel, bâti autour de la basilique de style gothique flamboyant dédiée à l’archange, est le quartier le plus vivant et le plus coloré de la ville.

Un marché se tient les lundis et samedis matin sous la flèche, les magasins et boutiques tout autour entretiennent une animation populaire pittoresque que les poètes bordelais ont toujours recherchée, Meste Verdié ou Ulysse Despaux.

The district Saint-Michel, built around the basilica of Gothic style blazing dedicated to the archangel, is the district the more living and most colorful of the city.

A market is held all around Mondays and Saturdays morning under the arrow, the stores and boutiques maintain a picturesque popular animation that the poets from Bordeaux always searched for, Meste Verdie or Ulysse Despaux.
Les gabares à fond plat chargées de cargaisons de bois du Quercy, du Rouergue ou de Gascogne, jetaient l’ancre au bas de Saint-Michel, débarquaient du bois qui alimentait les ateliers des charpentiers de la rue Carpenteyre, des tonneliers de la rue de la Fusterie. Le fer était travaillé par les forgerons et les armuriers de la rue des Faures. Le sel, entreposé quai des Salinières, servait aux sècheries de poissons et de viandes établies rue de la Rousselle.

Artisans, matelots de tous pays, portefaix, badauds, bourgeois se côtoyaient, se disputaient ; les regrattières, marchandes des quatre saisons, vous interpellaient au passage dans leur langue pleine de saveur mais redoutable. On chantait, on jouait aux cartes, on buvait dans les nombreux cabarets qui "servaient à pot et à pinte".

The gabares flat-bottom charged of cargos of wood of the Quercy, the Rouergue or Gascogne, threw the anchor to the low of Saint-Michel, disembarked of the wood that nourished the shops of the carpenters of the Rue Carpenteyre, of the coopers of the Rue de la Fusterie. Iron was worked by the blacksmiths and the gunsmiths of the Rue des Faures. Salt, stored embankment of the Salinieres, served to the sècheries of fishes and meats established street of the Rousselle.

Craftsmen, sailors of all countries, porter, idlers, bourgeois coasted themselves, argued; the "regrattières", pushcart peddlers, challenged you to the passage in their language full of flavor but dangerous. One sang, one played the cards, one drank in the numerous cabarets that "served to pot and pint".

Cycle !

by nzobx

Transportation in Bordeaux during the roadworks for the 3 tram lines was... impossible.
So the bordelais went back to an ancient transportation mode, their bicycle. And seem to be happy with it now, as you still see a lot of bikes everywhere. The funniest is that you often see businessmen cycling, it's the only transportation mode that guarantees you get to your destination on time !
Get rid of those ugly exhaust fumes, cycle too !

Cathedrale St. Andre

by mallyak

The main features of the cathedral are its Royal Door and the North Door, covered with sculpted ornamentation. The church is dominated by pointed spires. The Tour Pey-Berland — the cathedral’s belfry, is built on a site with foundations dating back to 900 years ago.

SARLAT

by zuriga

Most tourists to the Dordogne visit the interesting town of Sarlat. I found it a bit touristy, but it's fun to stroll the pretty streets and there's always an artist painting one of the scenic views.

Bordeaux - the unknown jewel.

by davidtee

"Elegance on the Garonne"

What a pleasure to arrive in a city where there really is nothing internationally famous to 'visit'. From the St. Jean train station we took one of the finest train/trams we have ever seen. We had asked for a reasonably-priced downtown hotel, possibly near to an Internet cafe. We got off at Quinconces, the centre of so much. There was the Grand Theatre, currently undergoing renovations, a real colonnaded masterpiece. A block away we found the moderately-priced Hotel du Theatre, a friendly 20-room pied-à-terre.

Of course there were frequent strolls on the pedestrian-only Rue Ste. Catherine, which led almost everywhere. Lots of narrow side streets suddenly open onto a small square, with as many cafés as the square will hold. A short ride on the tram brought us to the amazing 13th-century Cathedral of St. André, with its dominant, but separate, Bell Tower. The contrast of these ultra-modern, navy blue trams gliding by the beige limestone Cathedral was magnificent. The Hotel-de-Ville is also worth seeing, as are the long Napoleonic bridges over the river.

Comments