37 avenue ernest Cristal, Clermont-Ferrand, Auvergne, 63000, France

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Suitable for a night.

The main reason for us to stay at the Cristal Hotel was that is located just 2 kilometers from the important road A75, exactly in between Riom and Issoire. This made it just over halfway the drive we took that holiday. And those 2 kilometers were by a very good road, so the loss of time during our stay was very limited. Besides these reasons we also knew that the hotel had an indoor swimming pool, which is great for the kids. To be honest, we found out that it was kind of a small pool, but good for a quick dive after the long drive we had that day.

We arrived at 15:00h and had some time left to spent that day. Immediately we learned another advantage of this hotel. It's located only 5 kilometers form the village center square called Place de la Victoire and its beautiful cathedral. We visited both sites and were overwhelmed by this unexpected city centre we had a good look at the buildings, facades and of course the flowers which decorate the square. So, our conclusion is not to expect too much of the Cristal Hotel, but that this particular hotel is good for a nice stay for one night for a very reasonable price. This conclusion is confirmed by the many Dutch and Belgian number plates we saw on many of the cars on the parking lot.

Unique Quality: Free parking spots and WIFI in the rooms for free as well.

Directions: Read this carefully. The hotel is located near the exit 1 of the motorway A75. Our navigation lead us towards the city center, but it is actually towards the new residential area once you have left the exit!

The family room.

We recently stayed at this hotel on our trip back from home (The Netherlands) to Pals (north eastern part of Spain). Once we found the hotel and arrived in front of the hotel we were easily able to park the car and we noticed that the proprietor was a very friendly man. Although he did not speak English very well, we had no problem understanding what he was trying to make clear. He even advised us to pay in advance so we wouldn’t have a huge queue the next morning during checking out. We had reservation (via Booking.com) for one family rooms and when we went into the room we saw that it was very neat, although somewhat on the small side. The beds were comfortable. All the accommodations were reasonable or good - shower/bath, toilet et cetera.

Like I said, we stayed in one family room. This means a double bed and three single beds in one room. So, it was a kind of cozy and we had the idea that we all slept in one large apartment. We read that the breakfast was about 10 euro extra per person, which was also very good and included rolls, croissants, chocolate croissants, juice, yoghurt, cheeses et cetera. There is also a possibility for a small breakfast called “Salon”, which consist in a hot drink and a sweet bread for the cost of 3,5 euro.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Close to the exit of motorway A75.

Whatever moves someone to have a stop in Clermont-Ferrand? In advance I could not tell you, but we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel itself and the village we visited in particular. The reason why we ended up here is quite simple. We just were on our way to a great holiday in the north eastern part of Spain (city of Pals) and on our way towards Pals the city of Clermont-Ferrand was over the half of our travel distance. We looked up some nice hotels via Google and so we ended up in Clermont-Ferrand. How about that! :)

It was not a very easy to find the hotel to be honest. We saw on Google Earth (and our navigation device) that it was near the exit 1 of the motorway A75. Both directed us at the exit towards the city center where it was located at the Avenue Ernest. We didn’t find any hotel and we tried to drive the other way at the Avenue Ernest, away from the city center. Finally the huge neon sign stroke our eye and we were able to drive to it. Anyway, one thing we noticed was that the hotel was surrounded by a nice garden and more than enough parking lots, and they were for free as well. And once inside the hotel and inspecting the room we knew it was a good place to stay a night over.

More about Clermont-Ferrand

Nice hotel.Nice hotel.

Travel Tips for Clermont-Ferrand

A nice town in the middle of France

by SirRichard

"Travel Diaries exhibition"

As some of you might know I use to make TRAVEL DIARIES of my trips, so I keep a nice memory of them while I enjoy painting watercolors on the road and kill the dead hours in hotels, bus stations... Surfing the internet I found out about a French Travel Diaries Biennal that took place every year in Clermont-Ferrand (France). In France Travel Diaries (Carnets de Voyage) are big business, there are professionals in this, many publishing houses and it is taken more seriously than in the rest of the world (in Spain ie. is practically inexistant). So... I wrote them a mail and there I was!
A total amateur in the middle of a big exhibition with more than 100 exhibitors, most of them with published books (several) about their "severalmonths" travels around all the world. I was lucky indeed to have that chance, as the Association invited me (with my little Peru Diary), payed me the hotel, meals and even transpotation and gave me the opportunity to take a look of this fantastic world that I (isolated in Spain) hardly knew...

"The city"

Clermont happened to be a rather interesting middle-sized provincial town in the very middle of France. Terribly cold in winter (and it was november), with a charming city center of narrow old streets and a wonderful gothic cathedral. I only stayed there 2 days, but took a free afternoon in my "official" activities to take a good look around.

"Alleys"

What I like most (more than the Cathedral perhaps) were those tiny little streets with the Boulangerie and the little cafés and the private houses with all those flowers and plants. Besides, it was really cold, not many people dared to walk around, so it was nice and silent. After a while walking I sat at a local cafe terrace (inside, of course) to enjoy a wonderful "Cafe-au-lait" with a croissant!

Comments