14 - 16 rue Saint Jean, Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, 14400, France

Booking.com Priceline.com

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Walk out on to Cobbled Streets

Well I found this hotel on the net and then VTer Jakeline from Bayeux gave a recommendation so we booked and we were delighted with our choice. You walk out the front on to the cobbled Streets right in the centre of town. Not far away is the water wheel...I found two actually. And somedays there are markets outside your door.

They have a great gift shop in the foyer near to the beautiful staircase. So lucky this town not to be bombed in the war.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and gave ear to my 'un peu' French. In the evening we would join in with other guests in the cosy bar area.

We were not in the main hotel but in a double dekker unit at the rear. Worked out well for 4 of us. We were the most able so we took upstairs...further from the bathroom but more private.

We would certainly stay there again.

Unique Quality: I was in contact with Rima Hébert who was most obliging.

There is a fax line as well
    Fax: 00 33 2 31 21 41 66

Directions: In the main street. Carpark behind.

• jakiline's Profile Photo

Great name for Deserving Hotel

Nice welcome, whatever the circumstances: I had to find a room for me and my daughter,
    and we arrived in a nice furnished cosy room upstairs, and we could rest quietly there.

The room downstairs for breakfast is a veranda and there are always flowers on the tables, and it looks very calm and cosy to enjoy continental breakfast.

Unique Quality: Very convenient location:
    It is set by the main street, on the way to the Tapestry Museum: the entrance is in a passageway, which I often go down to the library now.

C'est un "3 étoiles": this hotel is labelled 3 stars.

Directions: town centre

More about Hotel Churchill

Great service at Hotel Churchill

by TripAdvisor Member rickyrocket

My husband and I stayed at the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux last July. With limited time, we wanted to see Mont St. Michel and the D-Day beaches. When we arrived at the Churchill Hotel in the early afternoon, the lady who owns it (Remi?) questioned us about our plans. When we told her, she suggested we hire a local taxi driver to take us to Mont St. Michel that afternoon. She said that late afternoon was the best time to go because you can see the tide come in. She made all of the arrangements for us, and for 100 Euro, we were driven to Mont St. Michel, and the driver waited for us for 3 hours after we arrived. We got to see the tide come in, and had plenty of time to see all that we wanted. It was magical! One of the highlights of our trip. Mont St. Michel is about 1 1/2 hours from Bayeux. The taxi driver was very nice, and it saved us having to take a bus and pay to stay at a hotel at the Mont. Also, we were tired from traveling, and the taxi ride gave us a chance to relax and enjoy the countryside. Plus it saved us a day of travel since we were limited on time. It was definately worth it for us. The town of Bayeux was a much better place to stay with all of its quaint shops and restaurants. There was also a festival going on.

One of the fun things that happened was that while we were driving back to Bayeux, the driver's cell phone rang, and it was for my husband. While we were touring Mont St. MIchel, the lady at the Churchill was trying to book us on a D-Day tour for the next day. She was calling us in the taxi to see if we wanted to get tickets for the Battlebus tour the next day because of a cancellation. We did, and the tour was excellent. We also got Geert for our guide. He was amazing! He was so knowledgeable and passionate about the D-Day landings. We felt like we were actually experiencing it. He had pictures to fill in what was missing, and he has spoken with and befriended many of the veterans who were a part of the Normandy invasion. My husband and I were visiting our son who is in the Air Force at Ramstein AFB in Germany. We had toured Italy with him, and later Paris. We had nothing but great experiences on our 3-week trip, but the Normandy part of the trip was definately the best part.

We felt that by staying at the Churchill, we not only got a great room, but a "travel agent" as a bonus. We highly recommend the Hotel Churchill.

Quality service at the Churchill Hotel

I have been in this charm and excellent hotel just one week ago. It was my 2nd stay and I am very happy to stay in this lovely hotel again. The location of the hotel is very good. You are just one step away from the main street where there are too many shops and cafes around. Also, it is just 2-3 minutes away on foot from the most attractive places such as the Tapestry and the Cathedral. You can take a D-Day tour just from the corner of the hotel.
Moreover, everybody working in the hotel is very friendly and helpful. They are putting so much effort to make your stay comfortable. The hotel is really in a good condition and very very clean.
If you are looking for a hotel, I strongly recommend you to stay here. I am sure that you will definitely like this wonderful hotel as much as I like.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member westernauto

The Churchill hotel in Bayeux has a friendly, helpful staff. The hotel is quiet, well managed and they are eager to make your stay enjoyable. They have informatio n on the D Day Beach tours and the tapestry as well as many other local attractions.

Charm and Comfort at the Churchill

During the last days of October my fourteen year old son and I visited Bayeux. The sole purpose of our visit was to learn about the experiences during the D-Day beach landings. And I was wanting to explore a little of the charm I hoped a city such as Bayeaux could offer. Fortunately, both of our goals were met.

Initially, I booked reservations with the Chateau de Sully. It seemed beautiful from the website. However corresponding with them seemed too difficult and timely. Plus I was concerned about the distance between the Chateau and the city of Bayeux. I decided to change our hotel. I then chose the Hotel Churchill. Mrs. Hebert's(co-owner, along with her husband) responded so charmingly and quickly that I knew this was the perfect choice.

We arrived by train and walked the distance to hotel with our luggage. It is debatable if one would consider it walkable with luggage. You may want to take a taxi from the station if you have luggage,however it is less than a mile.

As we were nearing the Hotel Churchill we were so pleased to see that our Battlebus Tour meeting site was only steps away from the hotel, practically in their back parking lot. (I would also like to add that the Battlebus tours are small group tours and excellent. We took the Band of Brother tour along with the American Beaches/ Cemetary tour. Highly informative and done so well.) We could also see where the tapestry was easily located and the cathedral was also one half block away. I did not know what we were in store for as I was so excited just based on the back, main entrance.

When we entered we were greeted by Mrs. Hebert who offered us a warm welcome. She quickly told us where to find our room and there was not any formality regarding reservations as we had taken care of this before leaving. She made you feel like a guest. I later learned that her husband and her have many years of hotel experience and purchased the Churchill a couple of years ago and are in the process of renovating.

When we entered our room it was everything I was hoping for and more! I chose a superior twin suite for us. It was perfect. It had recently been renovated tastefully but did not take away the old charm I was wanting, a mix of french with modern simplicity. Nicely done. A small t.v.-but who is watching t.v.? We were watching all the activity directly viewed from our open french window. Peering out you could see the stores,bistro,creperies,etc. lining the streets. But all with small town charm. Watching every day the locals visitng the butcher or quickly picking up their baguette for the day. If I could have directly ordered what I was wishing to see this would have met every wish. Every night we slept with our window open (we were on the first floor which would be considered second floor to others) I did not want to miss any sounds of the daily life.

Every morning we had room service of baguettes,chocolate croissants, regular croissants with real Normandy style butter and jellies, cereal juice, coffee and tea. Every morning it arrived promptly and so kindly by the same woman. Both a great start to each day. Usually, each evening we were greeted by the most friendly "Bonsoir" by their gentleman staff. You knew if you needed anything he would help. He also spoke English, but his kindness was conveyed through his greeting so it did not matter if he did or did not speak English.

The hotel even offers a small gift shop mostly filled with delightful Normandy fare foods but other items as well. But the nice thing is if the shop was closed and you wished to make a purchase arrangements could be made. Which if you find yourself running out of time and are needing to purchase gifts to bring home, this would be a bonus.

As you can tell, a very satisfied guest.

Awesome location and service!

The Churchill Hotel can not be situated in a better location. I was on the verge of booking with Best Western in Bayeaux but after reading up on the not so good things Trip Advisors were saying about them, I opted for the Churchill at the last minute.

The room we had was on the ground floor right next to the front desk. The room was surprisingly large and quiet because of the solid double doors. It was also super convenient for coming and going throughout the day. I highly recommend this room for those who have difficulty getting up and down stairs. A small TV (about 13") was available in the room but with only two English channels, wasn't really worth it. A hair dryer is available upon request also.

One computer for Internet access is available next to the check in counter for $5 euros. Good enough to check quick e-mails but not for conducting business for a lenghty time.

A grocery store is located adjacent to the hotel. Great for purchasing snacks for your day's excursions or quick meals. A laundry mat is about a two minute walk around the corner. It took about $7 euros to wash and thoroughly dry each load. The Office of Tourism is right across the street. Free parking is available in the rear of the hotel. Crime is virtually nil in Bayeaux and around this hotel. Our WWII guided tours (Battle Bus) picked us up behind the Hotel so that was an added bonus.

We walked to the hotel from the Bayeaux Train Station. Being non-French speaking and anxious to get to the hotel, we opted to walk to the hotel when we arrived there from Paris. Even in the rain it was less than a 10 minute walk with great signage to the Hotel. I don't recommend this walk however unless you have a good rolling suitcase since the sidewalks and road can be bumpy. We took a less than two minute taxi ride when we left the Hotel back to the train station for less than $6 euro.

The owner of the Hotel was very friendly and spoke perfect English. She helped confirm some lunch reservations we had in Paris for the trip back and booked us a car rental on one of our free days. We were always greeted with a "Bon Jour". Don't worry about driving in the Normandy area. It is much more rural and signage is great, although we were there in early March. I hear the busy season starts around Easter and continues until September/October. I prefer the off-seasons.

The continental breakfast was around $8 euros per person. I think it's worth the price as it was very filling.

I would definitely stay at this Hotel again.

Visitors and families on vacation will love it.

by TripAdvisor Member SKEArizona

I wanted to write a long, positive review but the person before me from Los Angeles covered everything I wanted to say. In fact, we even stayed in the same room downstairs after Remi gladly changed our room to accommodate staying in the same room as our teenager.

The hotel is warm, cozy and convenient. What more can I add than this made for a wonderful experience. It was an easy train trip back and forth from Paris.

As far as Battlebus goes, I had second thoughts about spending an entire day on a tour and the cost of $80 euro per person made me hesitant. However, this turned out to be one of those experiences of a lifetime. Our guide, Geert, was so knowledgeable and enthusiastic that we came away with an appreciation and understanding I would have never dreamed of. One word of advice, dress warmer than you anticipate. Those beaches were cold in March.

As far as restaurants, for good meals I would recommend le Pommier and the Petite Normand. Both are close to the hotel. However, there were several others I would have liked to have checked out time permitting.

Recommending this hotel is a “no-brainer”. Visitors and families on vacation will love it.

Wonderful hotel in a perfect location!!

I recently stayed here for 2nights/3days. I stayed in the same room as the review from LA. For Europe, I found this room to be very spacious. I had a rental car and it was very easy to get to and from the D-Day landing areas. Beautiful countryside. The staff were very friendly and speak English. The breakfast was great. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone and I would definetly stay here again.

Sunday openings

by drdlgonzales

We will be arriving in Paris (CDG) on Saturday morning 8/8/09, and want to go to Normandie. Any hints on the best way to get there and where to stay for about 40-50 euro? We posted on the Caen forum to ask if the museum & memorials are open on Sundays.We read there are no tours on Sundays, is this true? Normally don't do tours but think we won't be able to figure out what & where things happened. tour recommendations. Is rental car necessary. What auto rental is most econmical? We would really appreciate any feedback and your time in responding. again thanks in advance

by kathymof

I used Overlord Tours when I was there and they were excellent. http://www.overlordtour.com/

I stayed at a nice B&B a few miles outside of town. You would need a car to get back and forth. http://gibert.eric.free.fr/index.html

by Jeannette1

The Caen memorial is open on Sundays. Check out the website:

I highly recommend it but you need at least 1/2 day for the visit.
Bon voyage

by wise23girl

Lucky thing we were in Bayeux for 4 nights earlier this year. We stayed in Churchill Hotel right in town but it was a bit expensive.

You can get a train direct from Paris to Bayeux. Sometimes you need to change at Caan. Gare St Lazare in Paris.

We used Normandie Tours. They are based in Bayeux. If you want the history I think you need a tour unless you have heaps of time to research.

6 rue Saint Jean 14400 BAYEUX FRANCE

www.normandywebguide.com

Tél : 00.33.(0)2.31.51.70.52 - Fax : 00.33.(0)2.31.51.74.74

Email : fredericguerin@wanadoo.fr

Otherwise in my opinion you would need a car. It is a very extensive area to cover. Sorry I do not know the hire car scene there.

by kathymof

The American Cemetery is very moving. There is a relatively recent visitors center there that is very well done. I actually went back twice.

There is a Hertz auto rental, about a 10 euro cab ride from the trai station. It is very small and part of a Total gas station just west of the really large round-about on the D613 on the west side of town - I know that is a strange location description but if you look at a map it will be clear. All Hertz gives you for an address is a road name and the road goes for many kilometers.

by kathymof

another book you might want to check out is "A traveler's guide to D-Day and the Battle for Normandy" by Carl Shilleto and Mike Tolhurst. It provides 7 circuits with lots of commentary and pictures.

by drdlgonzales

Thank you so very much. The info provided was very helpful. We are thankful for your father's service.

by noshipsherlock

Im seeking almost the exact same information. I will track replies to YOUR post for answers and suggestions
Raf