Hotel Ibis Falaise

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

More about Caen

Ticket machineTicket machine

Renaissance StyleRenaissance Style

Nave: View to Chancel (Altar)Nave: View to Chancel (Altar)

Graceful gates that lead to the women's domainGraceful gates that lead to the women's domain

Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

Hi.
We're taking a friend to Normandy in September. Staying in a gite about 10kms east of Bayeux.
On our last trip, in 2001, we found some okay restarants in Bayeux, but nothing great.
We're looking for reasonably-priced, non-tourist-ripoff places that specialize in Norman cuisine. It's our bud's first time in France, and we want him to have a great experience.
If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be delighted to collect them.
Thanks in advance.

RE: Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

by Roadquill

I am in the same predicament, looking for a good restuarant near Bayeau in September. I have several names and will be checking them out this week. I will let you know.

Karl

RE: Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

Hey, Karl -

I'm doing some web-based research, but not finding much of anything.

In what area are you going to be staying? From what I'm reading, Caen and places north seem to be more densely saturated with restaurants.

I did read a review for a restaurant in Bayeux called Amaryllis. But, it was only one person's opinion.
What I've found, is that Bayeux tends to have its share of tourist-oriented places. The three times I've been there have been in May-June, which, as you can imagine, can be a circus. I'm wondering what the situation will be in September (and the weather!!).

RE: RE: Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

by Roadquill

Try checking out these (described as gourmet) in the central and NW Normandy area:

Chateau de Sully in Bayeux
Pave d'Auge in bEuvron-en-Auge\
La Mere Oulard in Mont-St-Michel (tres cher)
La Terrasse in l'Assiete, Honfleur
Le Ferme St.-Simeon in Honfleur

I have not tried any of them but I have seen them noted in travel books or comments on other sites.

I am still trying to decide on where to stay for only one night.

Karl

RE: RE: Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

by pcsqueen

What do you want to see? I've been there three times, so I know the geography pretty well, at least between St Mere Eglise and Caen. Happy to make some suggestions regarding B&Bs, attractions, etc.
Actually, I'm familiar with a few restaurants, in Bayeux. It's just been three years, and one became a dissapointment on a second visit.
Our friend's really psyched to be travelling to France and Germany, so we want his experience to be a memorable one -- and for all of the right reasons!
Happy to share whatever info I have, including maps and guides.

Travel Tips for Caen

Maison de Quatrans, miraculously spared

by Pavlik_NL

In 1944 Caen was bombed several times in advance to the Battle of Normandie, which eventually brought even more damage to the town. Many monumental buildings were detroyed or damaged, but miraculously saved was the magnificent "vakwerk" (woodwork) "Maison de Quatrans". Therefore it now is one of the best examples of 14th century architecture in Caen as well as Normandie. Some even say it is the largest here in it's kind.

Sainte-Trinity, the curch of the women's abbey

by Pavlik_NL

Even more then with the Abbaye des Hommes, the abbey church of the Abbaye des Dames (Women's Abbey) is the masterpiece of the old buildings. The Sainte-Trinity is full of grace and has two towers that are fully decorated with beautiful sculptures and pinnacles. Here too the Normandian Gothic style rules.

Last known french relative of Louisiana Tillys

by nana1555

Cousin LeBon, aged eighty, contacted my fathers sister, and made arrangements to meet me for lunch in this wonderful port town.
About ten minutes into our visit a strong wind blew one of the contact lenses out of my eye. I had no glasses with me and was virtually blind. Could not see any of the sights from that point very well, could not use the camera at all or tell the cousin how to, his acccent was unintelligilble to my ear just barely knowing enough french to travel. This was very disappointing. And life has just snowed me from then on, so I didnt get to go back, and have not kept up the search for more related persons.

Comments