Belambra VVF - Omaha Beach

Belambra Clubs - Omaha Beach
Orbitz.com Booking.com cityzenbooking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Colleville-sur-Mer

Jumping VTer StumpTim, Colleville-sur-Mer, FranceJumping VTer StumpTim, Colleville-sur-Mer, France

Memorial at the American Military CemeteryMemorial at the American Military Cemetery

Rows of crosses at the American CemeteryRows of crosses at the American Cemetery

An unknown soldierAn unknown soldier

touring from Paris

by hihat

My wife and I will be touring Paris this next May 2011 for our 52nd anniversary....Is there a train to Colleville-sur-Mer and can we get around to the memorials and cemetary by walking? Lastly, any thoughts on a hotel that is reasonable in rates? Jerry, Florida, USA...........thanks

Re: touring from Paris

by Roadquill

We went to Caen and rented a car, but you can get closer via train at least to Bayeau. Colleville-sur mer is a very small town (as are most of the towns along the Normandy coast) and I don't recall seeing rail service to them as we drove along. The place closest to the Cemetery to stay (less than a mile) is L'hosteiere, however, I have no idea on the quality or what it is like. You would need to check it out on tripadvisor or the like. There are a number of old farmhouses that rent out rooms similar to B&B's all along. They typically run 40 euro per person and many are quite nice. We stayed at La Ferme de la Ranconniere Crepon and it was a trip highlight, however, Bayeau is closer.

Re: touring from Paris

by cubsur

Bayeux is the nearest town to Colleville sur Mer that has a railway station. It's an easy journey from Paris St Lazare station taking a little over 2 hours with a train about once every 2 hours. No reservations needed either!

From Bayeux there is a bus to Colleville taking about 30 minutes. It's line 70 of Bus Verts www.busverts.fr

I suspect that in May there will be fewer buses than in the summer 2010 timetable currently on show, especially at weekends.

Hope that helps.

Travel Tips for Colleville-sur-Mer

America in France

by Mikebond

If you visit the American cemetery of Colleville-sur-Mer, you will notice the big stars and stripes flag that overlooks the dead soldiers. That flag doesn't have the aim to remind you that the buried soldiers were Americans who died for Europe; instead, it is a real territorial mark, because the area of the American cemetery is a territory of the United States of America. If you look at this map, you will see that the area between Colleville-sur-Mer and Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer is delimited and marked as USA.

Looking for "my comrads"

by Pavlik_NL

Born and raised in a city that too was extremely damaged by the war and place of a tragic event (Maret Garden, Battle of Arnhem, a Bridge too far), I always am very involved in places that shared this tragedy. With my relatively international familyname, I made it a tradition to seek out "family comrads" on commemoration sites or cemetries. After finding them, I pay my respects personally to them and place flowers or something special (a poem, a lettre, a flag or a poppy) on their grave.

american cemetery

by lclaudio

"american cemetery"

on the road, getting in colleville sur mer...here is the american cemetery. it is one of the most impressive places i had been, once, for those who are interested in second war, that is the place of the places. thousand of crosses indicating the enormous number of deaths when the american landed on omaha beach...it is a place to visit, no doubt, to reflect a lot about, to honour, and to save forever in your mind. in colleville there is not much to do, but the cemetery wiil take about one hour of visiting. it is just about the beach and there is a free park near it. be carefull, when i visited it, it closed at 1800 hrs.

"american cemetery-2"

at the american cemetery

Jumping in Colleville-sur-Mer, France!

by Jumping

On Aug 3, 2009 at 00:29:29 PM EDT, jumpingnorman wrote:

Hey Tim! I am revamping my whole homepage...and I am going to make a
travelogue of my friends who "jump" all over the world...can I download
your jumping pic and put it in my travelogue?

And VTer StumpTim answered:

....absolutely....look forward to seeing the new pages....

(and later after sending jumping picture from Colleville-sur-Mer, France)

looking good Norman - lots of fun with your new site - happy to be jumping for you all the best

If I had only one day in Colleville-sur-Mer,
I would not miss going to the US Army Cemetary and museum,
with plenty of walking all over the hills and beaches

Tim of Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

American Military Cemetery at Omaha Beach

by Beausoleil

"Overlooking Omaha Beach"

We chose a strange day to visit the American Cemetery in Normandy. It started a bit cloudy with a rainbow in the distance; cleared for a sunny market in Bayeux; poured rain in Port-en-Bessin then cleared again as we approached the American Military Cemetery.

We were treated to this beautiful rainbow as we walked through the cemetery along the cliff overlooking Omaha Beach. It seemed very appropriate, as though the rainbow had been planned for the experience.

Later we packed into the chapel opposite the Memorial as it poured again. That over we continued through the cemetery and out to our car. As we drove away, we were treated to a double rainbow, one of few that we have seen.

"Rows of crosses"

Visiting the cemetery is an overwhelming experience. You look out over Omaha Beach and you know what happened there. It was horrible as wars always are. Then we looked up at the rainbow offering hope. The rain fell renewing the earth. And finally, you realize what a very peaceful place this is. The sun, wind, sea, flowers, trees and quiet thoughtful people all combine to make this a place of rest and peace . . . and remembrance.

"The storm is over . . ."

There are many military cemeteries for many countries in this area. We stayed in Cauvicourt near a Canadian Military Cemetery lined with beautiful Canadian maple trees. It was October and they were in full color.

Lest we forget . . . or reverting back to the 1960s, "When will we ever learn . . . When will we ever learn."

Comments