Some history (2)
The cistercians maintained ownership until the french revolution, when all clerical estates were dispossessed, although Dom Goblet, the monk responsible for the vineyard and wine, had a sufficiently fine reputation to retain his job in the short term. In due course Clos de Vougeot was sold to Julien-Jules Ouvrard in 1818, the year before he bought Romanée-Conti, and remained in single ownership since 1889. Since then ownership has fragmented so that today are over 80 proprietors.
Once a Castle, Now a Clubhouse & Vineyards
"A Tourist Venue & Clubhouse"
The Clos de Vougeot is both a working vineyard and a chateau. Today the buildings are a tourist venue with a conducted tour of ancient wine-making instruments, an audio-vsual presentation on the history and activites and a visit to rooms of the chateau of importance. The Chevaliers de la Tastevin, founded in 1934 with presently over 10,000 members, have rights to the use of the chateau granted by the owners: the Friends of the Chateau. ( a co-mingled but separate group). These benevolent groups are devoted to promoting all things Burgundian (but mostly the wine and drinking it). They have lavish meetings and ceremonies and are vigorous supporters of the annual wine sale in Beaune for the Hotel Dieu charity.
The vast area, originally the greatest source of income for the Cistercians of Citeaux, is today owned by some eighty owner-vintners with plots of varying sizes and individual productions. It continues to produce some of the finest Burgundies.
The interesting aspects of the tour are the old equipment and the siting of the present activities.