Roscoff - Point of entry to Brittany.
Roscoff is one of the main points of maritime entry to Brittany, used a lot by holidaymakers from the S-W of England from Plymouth and also from Cork in Ireland. Founded as early as the 5th century, it suffered from English attacks during the 100 year war. Witness to a visit by Mary Stuart in 1548, when only 6 y.o. the town became independent of St. Pol de Leon shortly after.
Around town can be seen carvings showing the maritime history of the town and also can be seen evidence of some of Roscoffs most famous sons, the "Johnnies". In the early 1800's Roscovites began to make the journey across the Channel to sell their famous "pink" onions. Frequently taking adolescent children with them, these kids, many of whom were named Yann, Breton for Jean or John in English, became known as "Little John or Johnny", giving the plural of "Johnnies". These onions were part of the local vegetables, along with artichokes and potatoes that first gave Brittany Ferries their start in cross-channel ferries.
A nice walk to be had along the port and around by the church with it's fabulous belfry. There are two parts to the port in Roscoff, the old part for leisure boats and the deep-water side for the cross-channel ferries and fishing fleet. There is also a shuttle service over to the Isle of Batz.