Hotel Anne de Bretagne Saint-Malo

Rated 27% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

More about Hotel Anne de Bretagne Saint-Malo

two types of rooms

by voisbreton about St Malo Anne de Bretagne hotel

Anne de Bretagne hotel was easy to reserve on the internet, but when we reached, the staff told us we had only paid for the booking and taxes!
They first put us on a second floor on the otherside of the main building. I have bad asthma. I realized that they could have accommodated us in a room reachable by lift. I did ask for one. They first told me the hotel was full, but eventually found a room reachable by lift. My poor sife had to fetch all our luggage on the second floor and drag them down to the lift.
The room was alright for the night. We "déambulons" through the closed cicyt and found restaurants galore, maily serving crêpes qnd pizzas/
On the whole a nice enough accommodation for the night. I could speak French, so I got what I wanted easily. But a chap who tried a phone card could not understand what the staff told him. I translated that basically the hotel telephones were too old to function with a card! The facilities are in the enclosed city within the walls within easy distance of flocks of restaurant and near the beautiful St Vincent cathedral which is worth a visit.

StarterStarter

Sun setting over Fort National, Saint-MaloSun setting over Fort National, Saint-Malo

Seagull on the walls of Saint-MaloSeagull on the walls of Saint-Malo

Steeple from Castle TowerSteeple from Castle Tower

Campsites

by world_citizen

Does anyone know of good campsites close to the town of St Malo? Thanks!

by ATLC

There are plenty of suggestions if you google. Is there anything specific that you want in a camping? Young people? Swimming pool? Or more quiet?

by ATLC

OK, you wrote me and said you want:
"cheap campsite that's not far from town and suitable for adults. When I google I just got lots of family style places with pools."

Try the options at the ST Malo tourist office website.
Or contact them. The website is in English.

For distances, use www.viamichelin.com.

by pfsmalo

The closest campsite to St. Malo is on the Cité d'Aleth overlooking the harbour, but in summertime it's rather overrun with young students. Otherwise the nearest is the "Camping du Petit bois" in St. Jouan, about 6/7 km from centre of town. Another one is in Paramé about 6 km from centre. You don't say if you have a car,kids or when you want to come so difficult to give a realistic answer.

by ATLC

That indeed was my problem too. Not being able to answer more specifically for lack of information.

by world_citizen

Thanks for your replies. I checked out the tourist office website you suggested - thanks for that, it was very helpful. I'll be going with my friends who are in their 20s and 30s without kids. Also will be going in May.
Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

you're welcome :-)

by CaptainHM

Sorry to dig up a really old topic, but I have pretty much the same question. The Cité d'Aleth sounds ideal for me. My question is, can I book online? I am having trouble finding out for myself mainly because I understand almost no French, but partly because the websites I've found so far haven't been particularly helpful anyway.

Does anyone even know if there's even any need to book in advance. I'll be alone and staying for one night in my own tent on June 18th. Could I just turn up that evening and pay for a pitch on the spot?

I don't do a lot of camping usually, if that wasn't already obvious.

by pfsmalo

Hi Captain, here is the website for the campsite at the cité d'aleth :

It's in English.!!!

by CaptainHM

You star! Thanks!

Travel Tips for Saint-Malo

Great Sandwiches

by rexvaughan about Le Lion d'or

This is one of many restaurants in the Intra-muros and does a lot of business. It is not overly large, but has a large terrace which was covered against the cool rain and was quite pleasant. While there were a number of tourists there, the food was quite good. We started out to have a light meal started with a kir for my wife and a pastis for me. Then on to Croques which were accompanied by a small but delicious salad topped with nuts, sunflower seeds and a nice and light balsamic vinegarette. The "light" went out the window with dessert. My wife had rhum raisin ice cream and I had a Normandie apple pie topped with whipped cream. Since we were so near Normandy and Calvados, I had apple tart, pie, etc. four days in a row. This one did not disappoint. All the food was delicious and beautifully presented.

Visit the Eglise of St.-Vincent

by hquittner

The ex-Cathedral of St. Vincent stands near the center of the walled town. The south transept was blown away during WWII and has been replaced as well as other damages (such as the old stained glass). The West Front is in a severe Renaissance style (1713). Note the lateral windows which are repeated along the nave aisles when they were built in the 16C. The Tower (15C) is visible all over town. The nave has heavy pillars and attached columns with early Gothic vaulting from the 12C as are the aisles. The choir is 13C with a flat apse with beautiful trefoil triforium arches in the chancel.

Hotel de Ville-City hall and castle

by Beckhanne

The entrance of the city hall is situated beyond the Saint-Vincent's gate opposite the tourist office and near the casino. We didn' t visit the castle nor the museum of history of Saint-Malo housed within. Hope to do that next time.

Corsair City

by rexvaughan

"Fortified for a reason"

The old city of St. Malo, the "Intra-muros" is a 44 acre fortress. The rampart walls are 20 feet thick and date from the 14th C although there was some updating in the 18th C and some rebuilding after the city was bombed in WWII. Their location on a tip of the Brittany coast almost mandated sea going activities. The city is named, of all things, for a Welch monk who fled (I don't know why) to what was then called Aaron Rock. Evidently the folks here are somewhat independent as in the late 16th C they declared the city an independent republic with the motto, "Neither French nor Breton, but a Coursair am I." In looking for a good definition of "corsair" I concluded it depended on your perspective. The French king at the time would have called them wonderful as they brought a lot of booty to him. The English would call them pirates, as most of the booty was from hijacked British vessels.

"Symbol of the Corsair City"

Robert Surcouf was an 18th C Corsair captain who first went to sea at age 13 as a ship's boy. By his very early 20's he was already a captain. One of his most famous coups was in 1795 when he had captured 3 English vessels then met and English warship with 150 men and 26 guns. Surcouf had only 17 men and 2 guns so he resorted to trickery. Hiding his men on the boat, he pretended to be alone on the ship until the ships were close, then they jumped on and took control of the British ship. By the time he was 36 he had become one of the richest men in St. Malo, so he retired. This statue stands at the northern tip of the ramparts pointing toward the sea.

"Tremendous beaches"

The beaches of St. Malo are huge - stretching for miles. In the top photo on this page you can see a small beach beside the ramparts and here is one that seems to go on without end. This photo was in the morning at low tide (the beach all but disappears at high tide). We strolled a while and did a little shell picking. This beach is what we looked out on from our hotel. Great spot!

Comments