Saint-Malo Hotels

Our Members Say

• Beausoleil profile photo Beausoleil
  • Reviews: 697

Hotel Restaurant Pointe du Grouin: Hotel with peace and a view

We've never stayed here. We found it as we drove around Brittany, but we went inside and it was utterly charming. They have a wonderful restaurant and we vowed we would spend a few days there in the future.

You are directly across the bay from Mont St. Michel and can see it in the distance across the water.

The view, the walking paths, the nature reserve, the restaurant . . . location, location, location.

• Related to: Beaches, National/State Park, Hiking and Walking
  • Written September 6, 2005

Hotel-Restaurant Pointe du Grouin

• sara_canadian profile photo sara_canadian
  • Reviews: 3

Le Centre Patrick Varangot: Cheap Hostel in St Malo

This is the cheapest accomodation I was able to find in St Malo. It is not located within the city walls which is its biggest downfall. The walk from the city to the hostel is about 30-40 minutes.

There is a bus that runs from the city and train station to a stop 5 minutes walk from the hostel but it does not run after 7:30 at night. You could take a taxi and at 7 euros a trip it is still less expensive to stay here than within the walls.

I stayed 3 nights, a different room each night and all were clean and well kept. I opted for a room to myself because it was only a couple euros more (I payed from 14-22 euros a night, it varied depending on how crowded the hostel was). The price included a breakfast as well...baguettes, cereal, coffee, tea, milk and juice. So that is pretty cheap!

I found the staff very friendly, i noticed they were speaking english to other visitors so it should not be a big problem if you do not speak french..

It is also worth noting that there are no lockers in the rooms and the doors to the rooms are locked between 10am and 5pm...so you can not enter you room. So if you want access to your bags during the day you have to leave them in the baggage room beside the office. So there is a risk of theft but they said that does not happen.

Overall I was impressed with this hostel, very clean, friendly staff, good rooms (for a hostel) and cheap. The only drawback is the location. If you plan to be making a few trips back to your room to change or shower during the day this would probably not be a good location because of the time involved to get there and back from the city....and if you take too many taxis suddenly it is not so cheap anymore!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written September 20, 2004

• Goner profile photo Goner
  • Reviews: 1128

Le President Hotel in Rennes: Inexpensive and Quaint

After being booted out of the Mercure Hotel we found this quaint little hotel along the river. They had a room on the 3rd floor. A small caged elevator only took one person and one bag at a time (at least there was an elevator). We had a room on the street side with a small balcony. Since it was very hot, we opened the french doors to the balcony for some air and noise from the street. We said hello to some passersby before going to bed.

The next morning we went to the dining room for our petit dejeuner, the night clerk was swearing, in English, in the kitchen at the delivery man who was late with the pastries. The clerk, now a waiter in his serving jacket, entered the dining room carrying our coffe and pastries with a smile (we were smiling too - very funny!)

The hotel was too warm for a hot summer's night, but quaint and clean. Skip the Mercure and stay at the Le President

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written May 15, 2004

• Goner profile photo Goner
  • Reviews: 1128

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mercure Hotel in Rennes Center: If you can't find a hotel in St. Malo

We didn't find lodging in St. Malo so stayed in the city of Rennes at a Mercure Hotel. We had called ahead to reserve the room for three nights. After an enjoyable two-night stay, our third night turned into a nightmare. We returned at 10 p.m. from a long day of visiting St. Malo and found our bags sitting in the lobby. "Why, we asked?". The night clerk became very nervous, and informed us that we didn't have a reservation for the night! Oh yes, we did I informed him, we had made the reservation with the red-headed clerk. Our bags were in shambles with clothes falling out - my son's dirty socks were in my makeup bag - I was *^@#&* to say the least. My son still had a key and raced up to the room - his laptop was missing!!! The night clerk was ready for a nervous breakdown by then as I was resorting our suitcases all over the lobby checking for any other missing articles. Dan came down with his laptop that which had been hidden in the extra blanket bag. We finished repacking our bags before giving back the key. The night clerk was on the phone calling other hotels and found one for twice the price we were paying for a room at the Mercure. I guess he was afraid we would leave without paying and locked the front door. We had him in a sweat as his glasses kept sliding down his nose - actually it was enjoyable watching him sweat. I paid the bill and we left to find another room at 10:30 at night. We didn't have to go far to find a small hotel, but this one was without air conditioning. Some Italians were being evicted with us, glad we weren't there when they returned. I had noted to the night clerk that he had mixed some of their articles with ours.

Just one of our many experiences while traveling in France.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Beaches, Arts and Culture
  • Written May 13, 2004

On the Rocks

• Tea4Two profile photo Tea4Two
  • Reviews: 100

Hôtel de la Cité: Intra Muros - In the Walls of the old town

To stay within the walls of the old town certainly bumps up the prices of the hotels. This hotel is clean and always offer a friendly service. It is also one of the "average" costing hotels.

Breakfast is the usual continental affair however I would recommend going out to a local coffee bar/creperie for something a little different and very French!!

The sea views are nothing spectacular so don't fork out the extra money! You are far better off walking along the top of the walls for a romantic stroll!!!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written July 24, 2003

Hotel at Night

• Sunshine64 profile photo Sunshine64
  • Reviews: 487
Hotel Blue Marine: Nice Enough

The rooms were nice enough. We had 2 triples. One was a loft with a door that opened out onto a shared patio on the boardwalk / beach.

• Written October 18, 2002