Le Medicis Hotel Blois

2 Allee Francois 1er, Route d'Angers, Blois, Loire Valley, 41000, France
Le Medicis Hotel
Enter dates for best prices
Compare best prices from top travel partners
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

69%

Satisfaction Poor
Excellent
17%
3
Very Good
47%
8
Average
5%
1
Poor
11%
2
Terrible
17%
3

N/A

Value Score No Data

Show Prices

Good For Business
  • Families63
  • Couples57
  • Solo0
  • Business100

More about Blois

Photos

The Chateau FacadeThe Chateau Facade

mi'smi's

Eglise Saint-Nicolas, Main Entry, Blois, July 2008Eglise Saint-Nicolas, Main Entry, Blois, July 2008

Château Royal de Blois: The Ceilings, July 2008Château Royal de Blois: The Ceilings, July 2008

Travel Tips for Blois

Château Royal de Blois: The Chapel, Part I

by von.otter

“Blois, among all the other cities of the Loire, is the favorite with the tourist. Here one first meets a great chateau of state; and certainly the Château de Blois lives in one’s memory more than any other chateau in France.”
— from “Castles and Chateaux of Old Touraine” 1908, by Francis Miltoun

Tastes may have changed since Mr. Miltoun wrote his book in 1908. If this town and its castle are popular with tourists they were not visiting the day we did. Few were tourists at the château; that was a welcome relief from the crushing crowds at Château de Chenonceau.

The town of Saint-Calais takes its name from a French hermit Calais, who was the founder of the monastery of Anisole. King Childebert I granted him land, after a forest encounter while the king was hunting.

La chapelle de Saint-Calais was established by monks in the Middle Ages when the castle was still in the hands of le comte de Blois. These monks had fled Saint-Calais, a monastic market town not far from Blois to the northwest, bringing along the relics of their sainted founder.

La chapelle de Saint-Calais was rebuilt by Louis XII. In November 1508 it was consecrated by Antoine Dufour, bishop of Marseille and Queen Anne’s confessor.

Forming the end point of the southern arm of the Louis XII Wing, the present-day facade was created entirely by Félix Duban in the 19th century, when this French architect carried out extensive renovations to the whole castle. The chapel’s nave was destroyed when Gaston d’Orléans’s Wing was built; only the choir remains.

Above the entry door, Duban has recreated the L, for Louis XII, the A, for Anne de Britagne (see photos #3 & #4). Next to the L is a shield with the royal fleur-de-lys; and next to the A is a shield with ermine tails, Anne’s emblem.

The Displays of Fine Antique Objects

by hquittner

When we return to the lower floor we can see the fine accessories that are on display before exiting through a passageway to the Salle des Etats General. There is an ancient harpsichord and a Spanish “Bargueno” ( a secretary cabinet) of the period as well as fine majolica and other ceramic ware. The other elaborately decorated doorway can also be examined.

THE QUEEN'S STUDY

by Helga67

This is the only room in the castle that has kept its original decoration, 237 carved panels. Four secretive cabinets are built within the walls. According to some, these were the cabinets where Catherine de Medici would have kept her poisons

more

by dromosapien

"dromosapien"

Porte de l’Eveche -exit

- gate of the bishop, exiting from the Hotel de Ville courtyard to the Cathedrale at Place Saint Louis

.

.

"Maison de la Magie"

- house of magic, Museum of the magician Jean Eugene Robert Houdin (1805-71)

opened : 1998
location: 1 place du Chateau

"Fontaine Louis XII"

- fountain Louis XII a.k.a. Fontaine de l’Arcis, of the 12th century

reconstructed: 1511
location: Place Louis XII, moved when the square was created in 1822

"Eglise Saint Vincent de Paul"

constructed: 1634-c.1660
architects: Pere Ange Etienne Martellange (c.1568-1641) & Frere Charles Turmel (1597-1675)
restored: 1847
architect: Jules de La Morandiere (1813-1905)

"Escalier Denis Papin"

- stairs named for steamworks inventor Denis Papin (1647-c.1712)

"Jeanne d'Arc"

- Joan of Arc statue, a monument to WWI, identical statues are in New York, San Francisco, Gloucester MA and Quebec.

created: 1921
artist: Anna Vaughn Hyatt Huntington (1876-1973) US
location: Terraces de l'Eveche

"Gare de Blois"

- train station

constructed: 1890-93, replaced an 1847 station
location: 70 Boulevard Daniel Dupuis

Comments

Popular Hotels in Blois

Cote Loire - Auberge Ligerienne

2 Place de la Grave, Blois

Relais de l'Octroi Hotel

14 Avenue Gambetta, Blois

Show Prices

Hotel de France et de Guise

3 rue Gallois, Blois

Show Prices

Hotel Du Bellay

12, rue des Minimes, Blois

Show Prices

View all Blois hotels

View all Blois hotels

Latest Blois hotel reviews

Hotel de France et de Guise
93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 10, 2014
Hotel Renaissance Blois
13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
Hotel Du Bellay
22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 1, 2013
Relais de l'Octroi Hotel
43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2014
Tour Hotel Blois
1 Review & Opinion
Cote Loire - Auberge Ligerienne
165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2014

 Le Medicis Hotel Blois

We've found that other people looking for this hotel also know it by these names:

Le Medicis Blois

Address: 2 Allee Francois 1er, Route d'Angers, Blois, Loire Valley, 41000, France