"Seaside Village and Marina"
Established by fisherman in the ninth century as Rupella (the rock), the village became La Rochelle, capital of the country of Aunis, after the ruin of Chatelaillon. Its lords were initially Maul?on, but they gave up in favor of Eleanor of Aquitane in December of 1199.
With the marriage of Eleanor to Henry Plantagenet La Rochelle became English. It was returned to France when Louis VIII became king of France.
Jews were expelled from the city in both 1291 and 1305.
In 1360, under the Treaty of Br?tigny, it was once again under British domination. This lasted for twelve years.