Chateau Belmont

by vbharath

Hi,

We were planning to visit at least 2 or 3 of the chateaux around Tours in
June.
What is the best way to do this - are there any tour operators who would do this? Any suggestions on which chateaux to visit?

Thanks!!

Re: Visiting chateaux near Tours

by zuriga

For me, the best way is to rent a car. There are so many nice chateaux to visit, but one can really get tired of seeing too many. My favorites were Amboise (nice Da Vinci museum nearby), Chennonceaux (sp?) and Azay le Rideau. I never got to Blois or some of the others.. I have to go back.

Re: Visiting chateaux near Tours

by ismenia

If you can only visit one, make the trip to Chambord.

Re: Re: Visiting chateaux near Tours

by Hamster_Huey

I would say:

Rent a car, and take your time.

You can make up your mind there: http://www.a-castle-for-rent.com/castles/

Travel Tips for Tours

Château de Chenonceau

by tiabunna

I would have to admit that it's quite a while since I studied French at high school. One of our books was called 'La Belle France' and one of the few things I can recall from it was a photo of Chenonceau. I'm not sure if it was the lilting name or the fairy-tale appearance, but for some reason it stuck with me over the years. In early February 1997, Pauline and I finally visited and, despite the bleak wintery conditions, we were delighted to find that the chateau was as stylish as my schoolbook had suggested.

The general story of the chateau is well known. It was owned and developed by a series of notable women, starting with Diane de Poitiers, the mistress of King Henri II. She developed the garden you see in the first photo. After Henri II died, Catherine de Medici sent Diane to Chaumont (see previous tip) and took over, creating her own garden on the other side of the chateau (second photo) and adding the famous wing of the chateau on the bridge (third photo).

You won't read much about it in the guidebooks, but the room which impressed us most was the one used by a subsequent owner, following the death of her husband. She apparently went into deep mourning for some years, wandering around in white outfits (the funeral colour in those days) and sitting in this room which was painted matt black with stencilled white funeral motifs on the walls. One of the spookiest places I have ever seen!

The Cheverny castle

by Pierre_Rouss

The Cheverny castle.
Very conventional castle. I am not sure we can visit it anymore.
The castle is filled with the original furnishings and is inhabited by the descendants of the original family for 6 century. They would let us watch the dogs being fed.
Classification: Photography , Site Seeing
Funny fact: Hey, that's Tintin's castle (Moulinsart)!!!

Gare S.N.C.F.

by Sharrie

The main train station. Most will undoubtedly come this way. I took the train from the Parisian airport & reached here & then to Paris from here again. It's a small train station compared to Montparnasse in Paris so one shouldn't have much difficulty navigating his/her way around here.

There are also a few great restaurants near this station. Le Baron is one & the other is L'Odeon.

la touraine et ses châteaux

by fabrice

I visited all these beautiful castles with my wife and my mother,when my mother used to live in the region(blois,then romorantin-lanthenay)

notice the different spelling:

chenonceau is the castle on the picture
chenonceaux is the village