Hotel Regina

Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Tours

Nave View toward West FrontNave View toward West Front

Aquarium of TurenAquarium of Turen

Open air relaxation in place PlumerauOpen air relaxation in place Plumerau

PolichinellePolichinelle

Tours or Poitiers better to see the Loire Valley castles?

by tmosterhus

Which one does everyone feel would be a better "home base" for touring the Loire Valley? We will be taking a train down from Paris and picking up a rental car to use for the 3 days that we have in the Loire Valley.

We found a nice hotel castle in Poitier: Chateau de la Guillonniere...that is what originally started us looking in Poitier.

Any and all information is welcomed!

Michelle

Re: Tours or Poitiers better to see the Loire Valley castles?

by Beausoleil

Hi, Michelle. I answered this question on your other thread so you can check it there. Hope you enjoy your trip . . . and hope a few other people give their opinions on this. I hate to be a lone authority because we all see things differently.

Re: Tours or Poitiers better to see the Loire Valley castles?

by GUYON

Tours is certainly the best location because it is located on the River Loire with some castles within a short distance.

Poitiers is more South with other historical attractions in the neighborhood : Richelieu, Loudun .

Tours has a wax museum devoted to Renaissance and a lot of half-timbered houses to put you in the time atmosphere (Poitiers has also some ancient houses).

The real alternative is Blois which has a royal castle with a famous stair and in which the Duke of Guise was assasinated by order of King Henri III.

Do not miss the visit of the Clos Luce where Leonard of Vinci spent the last years of his life. There is an exibit of his inventions.
See also Villandry a castle of which garden is decorated with vegetables.

Re: Re: Tours or Poitiers better to see the Loire Valley castles?

by gyeaman

If you would liketo avoid a big town, Amboise is a good base for seeing the Loire chateaux. or if you were happy to be further west, I think Angers is a nice town. I agree that Poitier is not the best base if it is the Loire that you want to explore.

Travel Tips for Tours

Internet!

by adawn412

My first day in Tours I was directed to a rather scary internet establishment (see my dangers and warnings), On the second day I asked for places in the tourism office and they gave me two but when I passed one of those off of Rue Lavoisier the tariffs were not so good. However just a bit later, I was just strolling down the street and came to CyberGate, a delightful little internet place that I think specializes mainly in gaming and things like that--but it suited my communication needs very well. And was a great deal--an hour of computer time was about 2.50 euros and the people who worked there were very friendly and helpful. It is located right off of Rue Commerce on Rue du Pt.Merville, it's just south of the Museum of Natural History with a big blue and yellow sign that is hard to miss :) It is very near Place Plumereau....just east of.

Chateau de CHAMBORD

by Lalique

The 128 m long facade and its 440 rooms make Chambord the largest of the chateaux of the Loire. The construction began in XVI cent. by Francois I and was much inspired by Italian architecture. Francois's son Henri II continued the erection and it was Louis XIV who completed one of Chateau's sections and laid out the park. This castle is usually called 'Hunting castle' coz it's surrounded by forests where French aristochracy liked to hunt and this tradition has remained in our days.

This Chateau has stunning architecture, a lot of lace like towers of different hights and shapes are the landmark of Chambord. One can admire its view for a long time. However how it is beautiful from the outside as it is plain and less than ordinary from the inside. I got the biggest dissapointment wandering from hall to hall.

Rue du Commerce

by Sharrie

One of the main streets of the old town.

Tours is a very safe city to walk in. No beggars like in Paris & no pickpocketers. Well, at least as I've experienced it! Perhaps I'm dressed too poorly to be pickpocketed? ;-)

Guyon warned me about pickpocketing operations in Paris. Fact is, I only have a digital camera which I'm itching to replace. If I'm sooo "lucky", then my travel insurance will get me a new toy in no time. Wouldn't that be great? ;-)

Remember, travel insurance!!!
Also, keep all your documents in the hotel safe. Just bring along a xerox copy & carry that in your bag.

Don_Camilo's new Tours Page

by Don_Camilo

Favourite abode of French royalty and nobility in the 15th and 16th centuries, the Centre region, a part of the Loire Valley, has some of the greatest renaissance châteaux in Europe. Architectural gems such as Chenonceaux, Chambord, Azay-le-Rideau, and Amboise combine with delightful historic towns, riverside villages, and good food and wine to make this an ideal touring area. The landscape is a gentle one of rich pastures and fertile valleys, particularly in the Touraine, centre of the châteaux area and known as the Garden of France. The region produces a variety of wines, and there are plenty of places where you can taste or buy, ranging from tiny vineyards to highly organised cellars with guided tours in English.

Comments