Hotel Saint Jean

Formal path, VillandryFormal path, Villandry

Galaries LaFayetteGalaries LaFayette

tours and loire valley

by jessma

I am travelling through tours and the loire in sept,and on to Nice .Would like to know of any small villages off the main hwy Icould visit before lyon and nice. I have 8 days in which to get to nice.My husband will be driving and I will be navigating so would like something not too complicated .
Jessma

tours and loire valley

by kiwi

These are closer to Nice, but recommendations all the same.
Moustiers Sainte Marie and the Gorges du Verdon.
Forcalquier, Sth East of Sisteron.
And Sisteron is very interesting too. Napoleonic Route and all that.
Don't forget the cellars of Chartreuse at Voiron and the Abbey in the hills.
Have fun, I could go on forever!
kiwi-francophile.

Re: tours and loire valley

by Suet

I just spent 6 months living outside Tours to the east. The nearest villages were Amboise and Blere... Blere is very small with nothing much to offer except a pretty town square (have lunch at L'Emeraude, the seafood platter is excellent and try a bottle of Sancerre, Vouvray or Mont Louis), or you can go to the Castle at Amboise and also visit the house where Leonardo da VInci died. Nice pedestrian street for toursity shopping and you can have lunch across from the Castle at L'Epicerie, excellent food there. Follow this with a walk along the river for a short distance abnd a wander round the town. Quiet, peaceful and very pleasant.

Re: tours and loire valley

by JLBG

You have been given good advices.
I would add Perouges (old town 20 km from Lyon)
www.perouges.org

Annecy and Gorges du Fier
www.gorgesdufier.com/

In Grenoble, the ''petit train de La Mure'', with breathtaking landscapes (that will be on my Grenoble page, not built yet)
www.trainlamure.com/

Vienne (famous Restaurant Fernand Point "La Pyramide" **** (expensive, booking necessary well in advance) and St Romain en Gal (gallo-roman excavations)

The Luberon region, typical old Provence villages
www.guideweb.com/luberon/indexa.html

Le Pont du Gard, roman aqueduct
lepontdugard.com/

Re: Re: tours and loire valley

by Suet

MOn Dieu JLBG!!! ou est tu????

Travel Tips for Tours

Amboise – Visit Leonardo

by tiabunna

During our visit in 1997, we stayed in a pleasant B&B outside and across the Loire from Amboise, so we had a view of the chateau from this bridge leading from the Île d’Or (midstream Loire) whenever we travelled (main photo). Unfortunately, because it was winter, everything tended to be grey.

The current Amboise was built by Charles VIII, when chateaux were developing from being fortresses into luxury residences, and sits upon earlier massive defensive walls. Back in 1560, the Catholic Guises accused the Protestant Huguenots of conspiracy, then hung about 1200 from the walls of the Chateau and anywhere else convenient. It seems that, because of the resulting smell, the French Royalty decamped afterwards. Much of the chateau has been dismantled, partly following the Revolution and partly in Napoleon’s time because it was unsound. Quite honestly, the interior of the residual building contains relatively little of interest apart from good views.

But Francois 1 had brought Leonardo da Vinci to France to enhance the Renaissance. When Leonardo died at Amboise in 1519, he was originally interred in a cloister within the chateau. Following the demolitions, his remains were relocated to the St Hubert Chapel (right of photo 2), within the chateau area – and this does provide real justification for a visit (photos 3,4). While in Amboise, you might also care to look at the nearby Close Luce, Leonardo’s former residence (closed in winter when we were there).

Amboise chateau is open daily except Christmas and New Year.

Verdon Canyon

by rachel_sun

Nothing more romantic than the contrast of rock and abyss,of green waters and crimson shade,than this sky which resembles the Homeric sea and this wind which speaks with the voice of gods lomg dead.
Jean Giono.

High above

by Sharrie

It was still quite dark when I entered. I began praying... don't ask me what, it's private & confidential ;-)

As soon as I almost finished my prayers... the basilica was filled with lights. You see, the ceiling was glass-panelled & the lights shone! It was as if God spoke to me right there & then. Without darkness, you can't see the light as clearly!!! HE spoke & I heard! That's pretty amazing for me. It's a personal experience...

& Manuel, stop arguing with me :-P

Tours

by Carmanah

I went to France in 1994 along with 29 other French Immersion students from my high school. We spent our first night in Paris, and then made our way towards Tours the next day. On our way to Tours we stopped at the Chateau Chambord in the Loire Valley, the town of Amboise and Clos Luce. Finally we arrived into the city of Tours in the late afternoon where we did a quick walking tour of the city, and then spent the evening in our hotel. The following day we toured the nearby Abbey Royale de Fontvraud before making our way north to the town of Fougeres in Brittany.

Comments