Hotel Trianon

Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

More about Tours

The Cathedral of St.-GattienThe Cathedral of St.-Gattien

Tours - Roman's ruinsTours - Roman's ruins

Villandry and gardens (click to expand)Villandry and gardens (click to expand)

Jazz rock and pop: Rue ColbertJazz rock and pop: Rue Colbert

planning a trip to France

by dushit

Hi
We will be arriving to Paris on the middle of August for a 2 weeks trip. We plan around 4 days in Paris and then we will take a car to your outside of paris. Does anyone have suggestions where to go?
Our trip must be a round trip because we fly back home from Paris.
thanks!

Re: planning a trip to France

by flyin_bastian

I would say: visit the provence, most likely the most beautiful area in the world. take the TGV to avignon or Aix-en-provence or fly easyjet paris - marseille.

by ogb4619

Spoken like a true Provence man Bastiaan.
I'd go south straight down the Loir as afar as i could in the time you've got. Those few days may give you 100 or 200 kilometres in the most beautiful part of France (in my opinion).
Tee hee

Re: planning a trip to France

Hi,
This saunds similar with our vacation in France.
So, we've visited Paris for 5 days and Versaille, after that we rented a car and went to Loire Vally for 2 days to visit the castels; and for the rest(we stayed in total 2 weeks) we went up to Normandy - Rouen, Mt. Saint Michael and in our way back to Paris, to get the flight home, we visited Giverny. It was a nice vacation and we didn't feel as tired as we expected.

...and now my turn, we are going in a marathon (I could say) vacation. we are starting in Munchen 1 day, Salsburg 1 day, Vienna 2 days, Budapesta 1 day, Romania 2 weeks, Gratz 1 day, , Venice 3 days, Logano 2days and back to Munchen to cach the flight home.
Any advice or sugestions, please?

by ogb4619

You describe that one quite well - a "marathon" - it's strenous and tiring.
But, a marathon is quite slow - i'd call it a "whirlwind".
You've got some lovely places in your list and you'll enjoy it but there's some even nicer places in- between.
Good luck.

OGB 46 19 - Greg thanks.
Ya, "whirlwind" would be the right word, but with a 3 year little one & an older one in our team we prefer to lie ourselves and call it just a "marathon". All the best.

by ogb4619

Txs. You've got 2 young'ns and your first trip away (according to your travel map). All the more reason to slow down. One day in Budapest?
I never criticse tour plans. I'm always envious. I've never been to Budabest so i'm really very jealous.
Can't you tell from my posts?!!Good luck, mate.
As they say is Oz "avagoodweegen"

by mari-ana

Actually we used to live 300km from Budapest, we've been there few times, so, for this one we got an excuse to stay just 1 day. It's a beautiful city, the architecture, the 13th century castle, the Danube splitting the city in two, etc.
It's true we are beginners this one is our third trip to Europe.

by flyin_bastian

I would still say go to the Provence. Its like you step into a painting. TGV is 2.5 hours and the flight with a low-cost carrier only 1 hour. So 4 days is more than enough. Whatever you do, I hope you will enjoy it!

Travel Tips for Tours

Chaumont-sur-Loire

by tiabunna

Another chateau we visited during our (northern) winter trip in 1997. Chaumont probably would have to rank as one of the less spectacular chateaux, its original purpose of being a defensive fortress showing through in its rather forbidding walls and towers. Originally a four sided building enclosing a courtyard, the side nearest the Loire, which it overlooks from high banks, was removed in the 18th century to improve the views. Yes, a visit is well justified, despite the relatively plain appearance.

You would have to feel for Diane de Poitiers, mistress of Henri II : after the King died his wife, the poisonous Catherine de Medicis (see the film ‘Queen Margot’ for a brilliant portrayal of her by Virna Lisi), relocated the said Diane from Chenonceau to here. Not that I’d mind if anyone offered to give me Chaumont in exchange for my house!

It is some years since we visited, but from memory we had a pleasant lunch in the little village nearby. The chateau is open year round.

Chateau de CHENONCEAU

by Lalique

Chateau de CHENONCEAU
The other name of the place is Chateau des Dames which reflects the rivalry between the wife of Henri II Catherine Medici and his lover Diane de Poitier. After Henri's death Catherine Medici turned out Diane from Chenonceau and later built there a Gallery across Cher river.

This Chateau is the most preserved one and thus sufferers that inavitable evil in the presence of hordes of tourists. The only chateau where I came across a group of compatriots, this means really something!

Voices of Angels

by Sharrie

& they started to sing...

Oh! The most beautiful voices I've ever heard! & it has to be in French! & I understand nothing... not a word! But I enjoyed it... so much so I cried! Yeah, cried! It's that beautiful... it touches something deep in my heart & words were not enough...

I simply cried... & cleansed my soul in the process.

Amen.

The valley of the castles

by catnapper

Above You see the castle of Saumur
CONCERNING MY TRAVELOGUE: I tried out the technique of Black and White photographs for I thought this could be more artistic and would better reflect the beautiful renaissance architecture of the castles around the Loire.

Comments