La Vrillonnerie Route Nationale 10, Tours, 37170, France

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 27% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Tours

Bridge over the Loire at ToursBridge over the Loire at Tours

The railway stationThe railway station

The famous chateau across the river.The famous chateau across the river.

Interior of Tours CathedralInterior of Tours Cathedral

Private car & driver?

by SandiM

I've looked at the Ligeris (Tours) website and saw what they have to offer for tours of the chateaux, however I'm pretty picky about what I want to see and when. We (mother and I) are staying right at Chambord at the St Michel hotel for 1 night, and browsing the chateau & grounds in the early morning. Then, we'll take the train and head to Tours for the afternoon and stay 1 night. I really want to find a tour group that will take good ol' ma and me to Azay le Rideau and Chenenonceau in the early morning for some photos of the (uncrowded) grounds and exterior of these 2 chateaux (not really necessary to view the interior), however I see that the Ligeris website doesn't offer this kind of tour. We don't drive (can't) and we don't really want to be hustled around in a van at 930am (we're ready to go at 7am). Are there any private (reliable) companies out there who can fulfill our demands? I don't think trains or buses go that way that early in the morning, do they? Thanks!

by wise23girl

If you are in Normandie France this company offers private and group tours...we used them 18 months ago....they were excellent

Normandy Sightseeing Tours

6 rue Saint Jean 14400 BAYEUX FRANCE

www.normandywebguide.com

Tél : 00.33.(0)2.31.51.70.52 - Fax : 00.33.(0)2.31.51.74.74

Email : fredericguerin@wanadoo.fr

by SandiM

No, I'm only interested in companies that service the Loire. But, when I'm in NOrmandy, I'll keep that name in mind! thanks!

by tmpaca

by 64novpt

Look at this website www.toursbylocals.com "Take a private tour with a knowledgeable local person as your tour guide! Reliable guides carefully selected and approved by ToursByLocals." It's supposed to be an international network of tour guides providing personalized services.

Travel Tips for Tours

University city

by d_d

In Tours there's a big university with many subjects.
It's in front of the Loire river, and it's well connected to the city center by a main street if you travel by car, or a a bridge if you want to go there by walking.

Chateau de VILLANDRY

by Lalique

Villandry was built in XVI cent. by Jean le Breton, Francois the 1st Minister of France. After changing hands in the beginning of XX cent. the castle was purchased by Dr. Joachim Carvallo, great grand father of the current owner. He created French style XVI cent. gardens, which made the Chateau clearly distinctive among the others. Definitely worth visiting!

Can you imagine that majority of these magnificent flower beds are just simply groceries such as cabbage and other ordinary stuff, planted in such extrodinary way.... My Mom would've bitten her elbows seing how the beds in her country house might be arranged...

Tours Cathedral

by June.b

Since the year 337, Tours cathedral or Saint Gatien's Cathedral had undergone several rebuilding, restoration and rededication. It's a gothic roman catholic church.

Work on Tours Cathedral proceeded over the centuries until 1547. The lowermost stages of the west towers belong is of 12th century. The rest of the west end is in the profusely detailed 15th century flamboyant gothic. Completed just as the Renaissance was flourishing.

Tours

by smetser

"Moving to Tours"

This was not the first time that I have seen the French city of Tours. However, it was the first time that I did not just see it from the highway A10 crossing the city. When I was younger we used to pass the city on our way to the south of France. This time I was moving the younger sister of my girlfriend to Tours for a half year of studying abroad.

Although Tours is not that big, there is plenty to see and do in the city and the surrounding countryside. The city lies along the banks of the rivers Loire and [...]. If you just follow the banks of those rivers you'll find lots of beautiful castles taking you back to the times of the French kings. We visited the well known castle of [...] If you don't like big crowds, skip this one (however, it really is beautiful as it is build over the river).

Like most french cities what you do in Tours is hang around and enjoy a glass of wine before while you are waiting to take dinner late at night. There are plenty of nice bars and restaurants around the central square in the centre of the old city. If you enjoy being away from all the other tourists, just move east of the old city centre towards the cathedral.

We stayed in an excellent hotel (clean, nice beds, big rooms, friendly personnel...and cheap!) just across the Tourist Information Centre, along the Avenue [...].

Comments