Les Bords De Seine Hotel

The Water GardensThe Water Gardens

The waterliliesThe waterlilies

Return Train from Giverny to Paris

by DerryPSU85

I saw several postings regarding the Paris to Vernon train options, however, I'm wondering about the return options. If I'm reading the sncf site correctly, the first train back to Paris has a 4:53 departure---is that correct? It has a bearing on whether we go with the 6:30 or 9:00 seating at the 58 Tour Eiffel Rest.
Thank you!

by ATLC

I'd go with the 9 pm seating, regardless. The French eat very late and it will be more fun since you know you won't have to finish dinner before 9!

by ATLC

Yes, the trains become more frequent from 4:53 onward.

by DerryPSU85

That's a great point, ATLC!
Thank you for your reply.

by DerryPSU85

Ah, viva la difference! Actually, Pedmar, my wife and are quite often eating at 7:30 or 8:00. One of the things I'm really looking forward to on our trip is just to see the cultural differences between our two countries---that should be fascinating. I'm thinking I'll be envious of many aspects of French life!!

Travel Tips for Giverny

Claude Monet's Garden

by Carmanah

Doesn't this look like something out of a painting? Perhaps a painting by Claude Monet? Well, there's a very good reason for thinking so. I took this photo at Claude Monet's garden in Giverny, just outside of Paris. These are the gardens that surrounded Monet's house, which inspired him to create many of his well known pieces. The waterlilies in the pond are the same waterlilies featured in his paintings of the same name. While at Giverny, you can also tour Monet's house and his art studios.

Giverny is closed on Mondays...

by skywalkerbeth

it's the inspiration of many of Claude Monet's works! His home, gardens, and Japanese bridge are all magnificent!

I would love to spend a week here, with that as base and make day trips. I stayed at a very nice B&B I found by merely driving up and down the little lanes. Across the river is larger town with all the accoutrements you would expect from a decent sized village - including a post office and laundromat! spending the day here with my friend William in 1999. My recent visit was pleasant as well, but Monet's house and gardens were closed.

Begin with the house ...

by shrimp56

Although there are no major Monet paintings in the house at Giverny, the house gives an insight into the aesthetic of Monet's life. He took great interest in cooking.
http://www.fondation-monet.com/ Standing in the yellow dining room where so many wonderful meals were presented and consumed.
A wonderful book is MONET'S TABLE:

Claude Monet's garden in Giverny

by Carmanah

We visited Giverny briefly only to tour the home and gardens of French impressionist painter, Claude Monet. The town of Giverny is a fairly modest size, located on the Seine between Rouen and Paris in north-western France.

Monet's garden, which was his private residence in France, is open publically for tours. It's here in his garden that inspired his many famous paintings of the impressionist movement, such as Water Lilies and The Japanese Bridge. I was there in October of 1994 during autumn, so I was fortunate enough to see the leaves changing colour. The golds, ambers and deep reds were beautiful constrasts to the deep green hues of the other vegetation. I could only imagine what it would be like here in the midst of spring!

The Interiors of Radegone Church...

by coceng

These are the interiors of The Sainte Radegone Church captured by me.
The church has a Romanesque origin but was modified to the Gothic style during the 15th century.
It is dedicated to Saint Radegone who was reputed to cure scabies.

Comments