Hotel de la Gare

And AnotherAnd Another

The Clock FaceThe Clock Face

from Rouen to Brussels

by alide

I was told that there is not a direct train from Rouen to Brussels, so I would do the trip by car. Somebody knows how long would it take...? and how the routes are...? Thanks.

RE: from Rouen to Brussels

by chinagazer

We do the trip Rouen-Gent quite frequently. It takes us about 4 to 4 and 1/2 hours by car. But we do not go over Paris. Our itinerary is usually Rouen-Amiens-Lille then you go on to Brussels.
If you like to do the trip by train, why don't you do Rouen-Lille, change trains in Lille for Brussels. Should be easy. They have fast trains on both stretches.

by alide

Hi chinagaze, I would be interested in knowing how is the trip by car. This is my first trip to France and I would like to know if it could be easy for my husband and I to find the routes. We really rent a car in Versailles and we go to Mont St. Michel and then to Rouen. I was insecure about keeping the car and go to Brussels or taking the train. However seems to be difficult with luggages to change trains etc. Could you give more information about the routes? I would appreciate your information.

by chinagazer

There are actually different ways to go about it: you can take the easy way around and just follow the street signs which will take you to the highways, OR, you can choose to take some smaller roads and enjoy the scenery. Between Amiens and Lille for example you will drive through the region of the Sommes where the severest battles of 1914-1918 took place and you may want to stop at one or another military cemetary.
You should of course get a good detailed road map. I would recommend the detailed Michelin road maps which you will very easily find in France.
You may also want to check there online site: www.viamichelin.com (English version available) where you can indicate your departure point and your destination, and they will lay out several routes for you. In the box "Driving directions" just fill out Rouen and France for the departure point and Brussels Belgium for the destination. You can also change some "Option".
Give me some time and I'll take my map out and give you some more details about the route we usually take.

by alide

Chinagazer, Thank you very much for all the information you gave me. It was very helpful, I went already to viamichelin.com and I got the driving direccions!! from Rouen to Brussels. Thanks again.

Travel Tips for Rouen

Église Saint Maclou, the Good Shepherd

by JLBG

The close-up on the medallion of the left door of the left portal represents the Good Shepherd at the entrance into the sheepfold. The sheepfold is represented as a round enclosure made of plated reeds.

By the side of the Gros Horloge

by JLBG

In an adjacent building to the Gros Horloge this shop is awaiting after you. What do you think that this shop sells ? Actually, this is a Real Estate Office ! If you want to buy one of those romantic old "colombage" houses, then, this is the place. Unless you want to buy the shop !

What would we be without water

by Pavlik_NL

Water is present everywhere in Rouen. The city along the river Seine thanks it's excistance on some small creeks that ended here in the river Seine and provided the growing medieval town with fresh water and first forms of energy (watermills). When the town grew, the little creeks, such as the Robeq, disappeared into the sewer system, but in present times one recognises the soothing effect on running water throughout the busy streets in a large city and some well-planned projects made it possible to again bring the water back in the streets. Fountains and drinking taps are also found on many places in the city centre.

The Crosse Fountain

by hquittner

We stumbled upon this restored Gothic fountain as we were going to the Beaux Arts Museum from the Church of St.-Ouen. (I am not certain of this as our notes are long gone). It is at the corner of r. de l"Hospital and r. des Carmes.

See the Sides of the Church

by hquittner

Along the North and South sides of the church are other famous doorways. On the North is the Booksellers’ Door from 1300 and on the South the La Calende Door near where the greatest of the WWII damage occurred. to the nave.(some damage was not repaired in 1988). There is a tall cast-iron spire on the lantern tower at the central crossing that can be seen from afar, It replaced a wooden one in 1822 when it was struck by lightning.

Comments