Le Boieldieu Hotel

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Rouen

Abbey Church of St. Ouen in RouenAbbey Church of St. Ouen in Rouen

sister JumpingwithNorman and CesVT at Sacre Courssister JumpingwithNorman and CesVT at Sacre Cours

Another ViewAnother View

Same-Looking East (Toward Cathedral)Same-Looking East (Toward Cathedral)

PLEASE HELP me on my driving trip from PARIS to northern NORMANDY!!

by bettyo70

Hi VT Family!

In June 2005, I'm driving from Paris to ETRETAT in northern Normandy. (I may or may not stop in HONFLEUR also, depending on how touristy/crowded it is.)

My questions are:

1) DOES ANYONE KNOW A NICE TOWN or smaller city in the area that might be similar to ST. MALO? I LOVE walled cities like St. Malo, but I know we will be too far from St. Malo. Is there any place with a similar atmosphere that is situated closer to ETRETAT??

2) When driving from Paris to Etretat, are there nice, scenic FORESTS we should pass through?

3) Where is the region where we can drive past old abbeys? Someone mentioned an "Abbey Road" near ROUEN. Please advise.

MERCI BEAUCOUP!/Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

--Betty (NYC)

RE: PLEASE HELP me on my driving trip from PARIS to northern NORMANDY!!

by michaelayne

A little village called connelles near Louviers is very nice. We will be going there again in august, our third time!! Near connelles, there is a little place called poses where there is a huge man made lagoon. Very tranquil and peaceful.

Travelling from paris to etretat will pass alot of scenic places, especially if you are driving through rouen(since your question is posted in the rouen forum)We took this route last year and it was great.

Les Andelys is a quaint town. There is a ruins castle, chat giallard. It is quite interesting.

RE: RE: PLEASE HELP me on my driving trip from PARIS to northern NORMANDY!!

by bettyo70

Thanks, Michael! We look forward to driving through the forests of this route, as well as seeing the portion called Abbey Road off of Rouen.

Happy Travelling!
--Betty

RE: RE: PLEASE HELP me on my driving trip from PARIS to northern NORMANDY!!

by raphaellecrevet

Well a city a bit in the walking-type like St Malo would be Honfleur, really cute and easy to walk around!

Travel Tips for Rouen

Église Saint Maclou, left portal

by JLBG

Each door has been completely carved with many figures. Four statues support the medallion of the left door of the left portal : Samson, David, Moose and Salomon. Between them, in the background, human figures represent False Belief : Greco-Roman paganism, the religion of the ancient Egyptians, Islam. A close-up on the medallion will be given on next picture.

The fountain

by JLBG

Close to the Gros Horloge, is a monumental fountain, built in the 18th century and which symbolizes the good relationships that prevailed between the governor of the city, the Duke on Montmorency, and the citizens.

Drunkeness

by Cham

Unlike many countries I visit it seems to be perfectly acceptable here to be drunk in the afternoon... and i don't just mean drunk I mean to the state that can only be described as.... legless...

but fear not, the drunken frenchies i met on my trip all seemed to be very funny... a group of people dressed themselves up as knights and were stumbling along the road trying to get more people to join their... "army" lol

I have to admit though i was suprised by how many people were peeing in the streets, I thoguht that was only an english thing :)

Garbage collecting at Saint Maclou Church

by JLBG

In most towns, garbage collecting takes places in the early morning and as it is usually the time when I wander in town, I can get a shot on it. In Rouen, it takes place in the late afternoon, and... I was there ! When I will have enough stuff, I will make a tip on garbage collection in the world !

Meet Monet, Pissaro, Gaugin and others

by wandeljp

Meet Monet, Pissaro, Gaugin and others

The Museum of Fine Arts offers a complete journey to the land of the most famous Impressionists: Especially Monet who painted the facade of the cathedral 20 times at a different time of day, in another light.
We have had the chance, during our visit, you can visit a special exhibition devoted to these tables. For the occasion differ from these tables were combined. Impressive!

But the rest of the collection is worth more than a visit.

---oooOOOooo---

Le musée des beaux arts vous offre un voyage complet au pays des impressionistes les plus connus: Surtout Monet qui peignit la façade de la cathédrale 20 fois, à un différent moment de la journée , sous une autre lumière.
Nous avons eus la chance , lors de notre passage, de pouvoir visiter une exposition temporaire consacrée à ces tableaux. Pour l'occasion différents de ces tableaux furent réunis. Impréssionant !!!

Mais le reste de la collection vaut plus que certainement le détour .

---oooOOOooo---