A room in Paris

TammyS1964's Profile Photo

Rent an apartment in Mont Marte

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 2, 2014

We did some internet searching and found that if we stay just a little farther out in Mont Marte we could rent an entire studio apartment for less than a hotel. My sister and I rented 2 in the row house we were staying in. Learned an extremely valuable lesson upon arrival. First floor is NOT the bottom floor. But other than all the carrying luggage it was AMAZING. We stay on Rue Lepic and it had everything we wanted. Our apartment road was parallel to the side of Moulin Rouge and for the most part that didn't phase us. Mont Marte isn't what it use to be , which was ALL red light district. It's families and couples and just perfect. I loved having my little balcony, smelling the bread, the chicken, the flowers from the vendor 2 doors up. There was nothing this street didn't offer us. Large Market 1/2 mile's walk, small market 1/4 mile's walk. If you do stay in an apartment, utilize what makes Paris remarkable, the vendors. In 1 block, we had rotisserie chicken, patisserie, spice & tea store, flowers for the table, and of course the fromage shop. Loved every minute of it. Then at night, your pick of numerous amazing restaurants. We did not go into Moulin Rouge because they were filming a movie. Which some of the RV's were in front of our building, it was fun to watch. You will find small shops with everything you could want. a block up from us, was the diner used in Amelia and we made sure to visit it. WAlk the famous stairs in Mont Marte, enjoy the authenticism of it.

Unique Quality: The stuido was small but so well equipped, every inch of space that could be used for storage was. I could cook, learned to love the french press coffee. Happy to see many English channels on the tv at night when I was in bed. The sofa/bed was incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was the winner though. All remodeled with an amazing shower, great use of space and incredible water pressure that stayed good and hot. The views were of the street, which was cobble stone and filled with vendors working so hard. I was so happy to give to these vendors who are part of a community as opposed to being a part of the tourism.

Directions: Mont Marte, If you are standing in front of the Moulin Rouge, the road that is to the right is Rue Lepic

I do not remember the name of the person I rented from, it was a small group who were amazing. If I can find it I will update it.

bendeaniko0127's Profile Photo

Housetrip and Airbnb

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 3, 2014

I was in Paris in 2012 summer and rented a room for 50EURs per night in Alesia -through Housetrip- ( one stop before Port d'Orleans Metrro station), and this time I found a double room for 10EURs per night in St. Denise -per Airbnb. Both rooms are in zone 3. I joined Airbnb and had also good accommodation through it in London last october. I do not have much money so I am for cheap but safe rooms. Last time our landlady was a young actress and now student in Paris studying art. Our landlady in London was a German language teacher, the leader of a multilingual department of a London university and our landlord washer Turkish husband who taught English and Turkish. In London we also got breakfast and loved their cat.

I just want to give a tip to those who like cheap but nice rooms.

We are also going to rent a house at a Hungarian spa (Kerekdomb) for those who like to sit in hot water healing their painful parts of the body.

Well I vote for Airbnb rooms everywhere.

Being superstitious I intend to give the exact address of our accommodation after the 23rd when we have already returned home. :)

Unique Quality: Nice landlords/landladies, clean rooms, cheap prices.

Directions: St. Denis

Malecka's Profile Photo

Accommodation in Paris

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 29, 2012

If you ask me, this is what any traveller needs most help and assistance with. No doubt.
So, after a long and painful search (on Booking.com and Tripadvisor) for a hotel, taking into account prices, location, room size (which tends to be surprisingly small), etc. we even made some reservations, although we were feeling quite reluctant to give 50 euros per night, per person for pitiful 16 meters squared.

But then my friend Irena came across Housetrip’s website and then we decided to opt for a small studio. That would always be my number one choice for accommodation. In this case, it proved to be the best option, and we ended up in a very small studio in Marais. The location was absolutely superb - a quiet street yet so close to the center of Paris. The amenities were okay. I mean, the studio was a nice little package – small kitchen, and even the luxury of a bathroom with a bathtub. It was really very small, but then again, the whole concept of space completely changes once you enter in a building in Paris. You realize that 20 meters sq. are literally precious.

It’s just that... I don’t know. I felt like giving Audrey (the owner) a call, and scheduling a visit to IKEA. She could easily spruce the place up with less than 100 euros, which would be nothing compared to what she makes out of renting it, and really freshen up the place a bit. No need for a lot of investment, but that old, dirty, disgusting carpet should just GO.
In any case, it was okay for us and certainly a great choice – money wise. And being able to move around easily is certainly a plus. Besides, the surrounding is so homey like, Rue de Bretagne is nearby, and there are many shops and cafes on that street.
So, all in all, a very positive experience.

Unique Quality: The major advantage of the small studio we found was its location. 3rd arrondissement, in the beautiful Marais. Close to the metro station of line 3 and line 1, nice neighbourhood, cafes, supermarkets close by, Rue de Bretagne (numerous bar, bistros and cafes) - very homey atmosphere.
The place itself wasn't bad, but... Ok, first of, in Paris the concept of "space" is... let's just say the concept of space is completely redefined in Paris. And so 20 m squared are... almost like a spacious condo. Going up the stairs in the older building, I was thinking: Okay, be prepared for something tiny. Which it was, but still, there was a micro-kitchen and a bathroom with a bathtub, which appears to be a luxury in Paris apartments.
I would've liked the place to be a bit cleaner, I mean... it wasn't bad, but small touches could do wonders. Anyways, it was still a good bargain.

Nearby A room in Paris

Amenities at A room in Paris

• Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Paris Travel Forum

Need advice about Paris, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Paris and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Paris hotel reviews