Abbatial Saint Germain

Tags

Castles and Palaces Women's Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
See Amenities
babelic's Profile Photo

Good hotel in central location

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 30, 2010

We had booked a superior double room which was very nice. Best part of the room was the terrace - we had a corner room and the terrace went round it. There was nice view down to Boulevard Saint Germain and to Eiffel which could be seen quite well :) All of the staff spoke English and were very nice and helpful.

bpritts's Profile Photo

Great Latin Quarter Location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 10, 2009

We stayed for three days in August 2009. Our party included self, wife and 20 yo son (we had two rooms, a double and a single).

Our experience was consistent with the reviews on file already; to summarize:

Plus's: Excellent location for tourism downtown; convenient to several major attractions (e.g. Notre Dame and Louvre); close by good nightlife areas; entire property is clean, tidy and in good repair. Staff was uniformly polite, friendly and responsive. Good quality double-glazed windows kept outside noise to a minimum. Neighborhood was quiet.

Neutral/Minus: As a US traveler I am accustomed to larger rooms; the rooms were smaller than I expect, but I'm told this is typical of Paris; breakfast was 12 euro for scrambled eggs, pastry and juice (no meats or fruit offered?); although there were several fine cafes nearby to choose from. As some others noted, there was occasional noise (we noticed this most often from the use of plumbing - toilets and showers) in neighboring rooms; not a problem for us but a little odd. Rooms had "minibar" refrigerator which was stocked with a good assortment of soft drinks, although only 1 250cc bottle of beer (?) and no liquor.

We had one minor service incident with an airport shuttle which the hotel had offered and booked for us. When the shuttle arrived, they had an 8 seat van with 6 passengers and a driver; the driver spent several minutes trying to wedge 3 of us into the 1 open seat by shuffling passengers. He ignored our requests to contact his company for another van. When he refused to respond to our (fluent French!) requests, we re-entered the hotel, explained the situation and asked for a refund. The hotel front desk attendant provided the refund quickly, in cash, with no further questions asked and helped us find a cab (to get to the airport for our international flight home.) Good service recovery.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location. Latin Quarter, adjacent to metro station. There's also a "hop on, hop off" tour bus stop across the street.

xstacey's Profile Photo

Paris Accommodations

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 6, 2005

Fantastic! Clean, friendly, reasonable. Large Bathrooms. We stayed in a corner room with two windows overlooking the street. It's only a short distance to the restaurants and jumping bars in the Latin Quarter and Notre Dame. Some nice cafes along saint germaine to grab a cafe au lait when venturing out to explore during the day and cafes in the afternoon and evening for wine and people watching. As well as shops for wine, fromage, produce and flowers.

There was some traffic noise that might disturb your sleeping if the windows are open. Om occasion we had to knock on the outside doors to the hotel when returning after a late night out on the tiles... took a number of knocks before the clerk would come out to let us back in. Our in room safe didn't work. Elevators are tiny, but that's expected, I believe.

Unique Quality: Windows! Huge floor to ceiling windows that open with pleasant views (ask for a room on a high floor) and watch the Paris World go by....

Great Bathroom. Really nice shower. Glass splash guard doesn't work really well since water escapes the shower and ends up on the floor, but still a fantastic and roomy bathroom especially by Paris standards.

Decor. Wasn't run down or shappy at all - the accommodations felt like Paris -- an American hotel in Paris.

ChrisRJ's Profile Photo

Great Location For Sights & Nightlife!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 4, 2005

I must admit that one of the indirect reasons for me to become an active member on VT was because of this hotel.

I had no idea where exactly to stay, but with recommendations from people on this site I found this hotel. The price was reasonable for Paris and the location was perfect. I will definitely stay here again on a future visit.

Unique Quality: The rooms in most of these typically Parisian hotels are smaller than your average American hotel room, so don't expect to be able to set up your tennis net in your room.

However, you're not going to be spending much time in your room anyway.

The rooms here were clean, very nicely furnished and had a very acceptable bathroom. The staff at the reception were polite and helpful and one even called around to a few night spots for us so that we knew some good places to hit that night.

When we checked out there was no problem with leaving our bags at the hotel until it was time for us to leave town.

CALSF's Profile Photo

Hotel Abbatial St. Germain: Convenient location

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 9, 2004

I stayed here for 3 nights in October 2002. The hotel is located on Blvd. St. Germain but it's in the 5th district part of Blvd. St. Germain.

Request a triple room not only for more space but also the triple rooms are either on the 5th or 6th floors which afford nice views. Of course, singles and doubles are mixed in also.

The triple room was not huge but comfortable enough to walk around in. Furnishings are modest but good enough and there were a desk and chair as well as two side tables. There were two large French (what else) windows with a balcony/terrace that overlooked Blvd. St. Germain on one side. On the other side where the bathroom is there is another smaller window when opened you could see the very tip of Notre Dame's spires.

The bathroom is not large but it is very comfortable. A plus is that there was a shower/bathtub combination equipped with a glass screen-water still splashed out though!
Very clean with white tiles.

The one drawback (which is quite common) is that the walls are thin. I could hear my neighbor on one side coughing and the neighbor on the other side talking loudly to his wife. What fun! :( But that all goes with the experience I guess)

Breakfast is quite adequate as it's a continental buffet breakfast: croissants, baguettes, fruit salad, juice, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, cheese-the usual stuff.

On the whole this is a nicely located hotel as Blvd. St. Germain is full of shops (Diptyque is a few blocks away), boulangeries, etc., the hotel is a few blocks from the Seine (& Notre Dame) in one direction and St. Germain des Pres in the other direction. Closeby on rue Bernardins is Eglise Saint Nicolas du Chardonnet.

The hotel has a/c.

UPDATE as of June 2005: I inquired about a 2006 spring rate (high season) and the hotel quoted me a whopping 180 euro for a double room in addition to 12 euro for breakfast! Recent reports say the breakfast offers eggs now, but the rate has definitely increased tremendously since 2002 even with eggs included in the breakfast.

binhdt101 May 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I know the hotel having good quality. However, I post my story which relate to the hotel as a reference before you make decision.
I'm studying in France. In 28 April 20013, my friend tried to make reservations in order to support for her travel on July in booking.com. However, she made some mistake because she first time use the website. Unluckily, she chooses option in the hotel which is no-refund. She use my friend MasterCard for booking.
When we realize the mistakes, I quickly inform to the hotel from 30 April. Because I run out of money and that is money for my living in this month (May) and June. Now, my account is minus near 200 euro. I call and beg pity of the hotel to refund my money. Although the assistants are ready to cancel my reservation and other good hotels such as Arial (Nice), Mas des Oliviers.. support me to payback money as my friend errors. I try contact and persuade them to help me. However, firstly, they call me that they're finding the solution and said that I need waiting. However, after waiting nearly 2 weeks, I don't receive any information, I actively contact with them. They said that they can refund for me. The reason they give to me that they cannot change the system. I beg them to pay back my money because I'm currently borrow money to live while I need to stay in France to end of June to finish my study.
I know that it's hard to change a hotel policy, specially a good reputing hotel. Abbatial Saint Germain is nearly no damage or harm because my friend haven't used their hotel. They have two months for sale the room which my friend booked if they cancel my friend's booking. However, they didn't do as other hotel. I also like to travel and want to choose the best hotel. One day, when you meet a hotel like "Abbatial Saint Germain Hotel". The hotel only focuses on their business and don't care to other. They only want to catch money from your pocket. After you send them money, no way you can get back. What will happen to you when you in my situation?

• leics's Profile Photo
    leics May 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I am sorry that you were placed in this situation. But it was your friend's mistake and you really cannot blame the hotel, nor expect them to refund your money.

Booking.com is *very* clear indeed about which rooms are 'non-refundable' and which rooms allow free cancellation. This is made very clear not only on the hotel page but also during the booking process. Your friend simply did not read the pages properly before she made the booking.

So whilst I am sorry that you have lost money I am sure you can see why any hotel which offers 'non-refundable' rooms (usually at a very good discount rate) is very unlikely indeed to return the money paid. After all, anyone can say they are desperate and anyone can say they made a mistake...but, in the end, it is up to the individual to read everything before making a booking.

It is a harsh lesson for you and I am sorry you had to experience it.

Nearby Abbatial Saint Germain

Amenities at Abbatial Saint Germain

• Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

Paris Travel Forum

Need advice about Paris, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Paris and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Paris hotel reviews