Abbatial Saint Germain

Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain
Travelocity Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• babelic's Profile Photo

Good hotel in central location

We had booked a superior double room which was very nice. Best part of the room was the terrace - we had a corner room and the terrace went round it. There was nice view down to Boulevard Saint Germain and to Eiffel which could be seen quite well :) All of the staff spoke English and were very nice and helpful.

• bpritts's Profile Photo

Great Latin Quarter Location

We stayed for three days in August 2009. Our party included self, wife and 20 yo son (we had two rooms, a double and a single).

Our experience was consistent with the reviews on file already; to summarize:

Plus's: Excellent location for tourism downtown; convenient to several major attractions (e.g. Notre Dame and Louvre); close by good nightlife areas; entire property is clean, tidy and in good repair. Staff was uniformly polite, friendly and responsive. Good quality double-glazed windows kept outside noise to a minimum. Neighborhood was quiet.

Neutral/Minus: As a US traveler I am accustomed to larger rooms; the rooms were smaller than I expect, but I'm told this is typical of Paris; breakfast was 12 euro for scrambled eggs, pastry and juice (no meats or fruit offered?); although there were several fine cafes nearby to choose from. As some others noted, there was occasional noise (we noticed this most often from the use of plumbing - toilets and showers) in neighboring rooms; not a problem for us but a little odd. Rooms had "minibar" refrigerator which was stocked with a good assortment of soft drinks, although only 1 250cc bottle of beer (?) and no liquor.

We had one minor service incident with an airport shuttle which the hotel had offered and booked for us. When the shuttle arrived, they had an 8 seat van with 6 passengers and a driver; the driver spent several minutes trying to wedge 3 of us into the 1 open seat by shuffling passengers. He ignored our requests to contact his company for another van. When he refused to respond to our (fluent French!) requests, we re-entered the hotel, explained the situation and asked for a refund. The hotel front desk attendant provided the refund quickly, in cash, with no further questions asked and helped us find a cab (to get to the airport for our international flight home.) Good service recovery.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location. Latin Quarter, adjacent to metro station. There's also a "hop on, hop off" tour bus stop across the street.

• xstacey's Profile Photo

Paris Accommodations

Fantastic! Clean, friendly, reasonable. Large Bathrooms. We stayed in a corner room with two windows overlooking the street. It's only a short distance to the restaurants and jumping bars in the Latin Quarter and Notre Dame. Some nice cafes along saint germaine to grab a cafe au lait when venturing out to explore during the day and cafes in the afternoon and evening for wine and people watching. As well as shops for wine, fromage, produce and flowers.

There was some traffic noise that might disturb your sleeping if the windows are open. Om occasion we had to knock on the outside doors to the hotel when returning after a late night out on the tiles... took a number of knocks before the clerk would come out to let us back in. Our in room safe didn't work. Elevators are tiny, but that's expected, I believe.

Unique Quality: Windows! Huge floor to ceiling windows that open with pleasant views (ask for a room on a high floor) and watch the Paris World go by....

Great Bathroom. Really nice shower. Glass splash guard doesn't work really well since water escapes the shower and ends up on the floor, but still a fantastic and roomy bathroom especially by Paris standards.

Decor. Wasn't run down or shappy at all - the accommodations felt like Paris -- an American hotel in Paris.

• ChrisRJ's Profile Photo

Great Location For Sights & Nightlife!

I must admit that one of the indirect reasons for me to become an active member on VT was because of this hotel.

I had no idea where exactly to stay, but with recommendations from people on this site I found this hotel. The price was reasonable for Paris and the location was perfect. I will definitely stay here again on a future visit.

Unique Quality: The rooms in most of these typically Parisian hotels are smaller than your average American hotel room, so don't expect to be able to set up your tennis net in your room.

However, you're not going to be spending much time in your room anyway.

The rooms here were clean, very nicely furnished and had a very acceptable bathroom. The staff at the reception were polite and helpful and one even called around to a few night spots for us so that we knew some good places to hit that night.

When we checked out there was no problem with leaving our bags at the hotel until it was time for us to leave town.

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Hotel Abbatial St. Germain: Convenient location

I stayed here for 3 nights in October 2002. The hotel is located on Blvd. St. Germain but it's in the 5th district part of Blvd. St. Germain.

Request a triple room not only for more space but also the triple rooms are either on the 5th or 6th floors which afford nice views. Of course, singles and doubles are mixed in also.

The triple room was not huge but comfortable enough to walk around in. Furnishings are modest but good enough and there were a desk and chair as well as two side tables. There were two large French (what else) windows with a balcony/terrace that overlooked Blvd. St. Germain on one side. On the other side where the bathroom is there is another smaller window when opened you could see the very tip of Notre Dame's spires.

The bathroom is not large but it is very comfortable. A plus is that there was a shower/bathtub combination equipped with a glass screen-water still splashed out though!
    Very clean with white tiles.

The one drawback (which is quite common) is that the walls are thin. I could hear my neighbor on one side coughing and the neighbor on the other side talking loudly to his wife. What fun! :( But that all goes with the experience I guess)

Breakfast is quite adequate as it's a continental buffet breakfast: croissants, baguettes, fruit salad, juice, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, cheese-the usual stuff.

On the whole this is a nicely located hotel as Blvd. St. Germain is full of shops (Diptyque is a few blocks away), boulangeries, etc., the hotel is a few blocks from the Seine (& Notre Dame) in one direction and St. Germain des Pres in the other direction. Closeby on rue Bernardins is Eglise Saint Nicolas du Chardonnet.

The hotel has a/c.

UPDATE as of June 2005: I inquired about a 2006 spring rate (high season) and the hotel quoted me a whopping 180 euro for a double room in addition to 12 euro for breakfast! Recent reports say the breakfast offers eggs now, but the rate has definitely increased tremendously since 2002 even with eggs included in the breakfast.

More about Abbatial Saint Germain

Would love to stay here again

by TripAdvisor Member Justraveling

My husband, 13 year old son and I stayed at the Abbatial Saint Germain from the 9th to 15th January 05. We had Room 61 on the top floor. As soon as we entered the room, we went to look out the window and had the most wonderful view of the rooftops of Paris, the spires of Notre Dame on the left and a distant view of the Pantheon on the left. It is a step out window with a small balcony, would be nice to sit out here in summer.

The room itself is small, but the normal European standard. A double bed and a single rollaway. We were lucky enough to be there when a brand new mattress was delivered to the room, so if you have this room, you will have a really comfortable bed. The bathroom is small for three, but adequate with a tub/shower. Remember to lay out an extra towel or bathmat on the outside of the tub, so you don't splash the whole bathroom, there is only a half shower screen. Fresh towels everyday. The room was always nicely made up and everything was clean.

The lift is just big enough for two, or one person and a suitcase. Walking down the stairs is easier.

The breakfast room is in the basement, a pleasant, high ceilinged room. A typical French breakfast of croissants and baguettes, also cereal and fruit salad, yoghurt, jam and cheese spreads, tea/coffee/hot chocolate. Eggs can be ordered for a supplement.

The staff at the Abbatial are really pleasant and friendly and ever willing to make bookings for tours, etc. Marco, on Reception, especially, who answered every question I put to him when deciding on a hotel, over a period of months, and Karine too.

Two suggestions for first time visitors. Get the feel of the city and what you want to see and do by taking the Open Top Bus tour. It covers four different itineraries within the city and the stop is a ten minute walk from the hotel. Also, if you think the Lido and Crazy Horse are too expensive, try the "Paradis Latin", ten minutes away from the Abbatial. A very enjoyable, French experience, at about forty percent less than the other more renowned shows.

The Metro is nearby and there are a hundred different restaurants to choose from.

Staying at the Abbatial you are in the middle of a French quarter, there are certainly more locals than tourists, at least in winter. We strolled around the fruit and veg stalls, visited the local churches, went to the supermarket. It makes you feel a part of the neighbourhood.

And if you choose to use one of the rooms on the 5th or 6th floors, with the view, you will love having your own little piece of Paris right in front of you.
I can wholeheartedly recommend this charming hotel to anyone who wants to stay at a nice place without five star prices.

Great Location, Fine Hotel

We just got back on February 25th from a 5 night stay at the Abbatial St. Germain. It was a very nice hotel to stay at. The location was great very easy to get to. We came in on a Sunday afternoon after an 8 hour flight. We were expecting to get sleep on the plane, as it said on our Northwest ticket, there was no meal service. Instead we had two meals and two beverage services and one medical emergency on a full flight. Every two hours there was a major interruption. So my advice....don't expect to sleep on the airplane. So we arrived in Paris tired, grumpy, and having no clue as to how to get to our hotel.....and with minimal French skills. However everything went smoothly. We took the RER to the Notre Dame/ St. Michele stop. We landed in terminal 1 and had to take a bus (its free) to Terminal 3 to get on the RER. Our first adventure was trying to find the shuttle. The signs say take the lift to door 22. We misinterpreted this to mean there was a lift at door 22. We finally found a lift at door 20 (it's off to the right of the door). Take that up one level, and the bus will be outside door 22 on that level. The bus drops you right off at the train station. The lady at the information desk was very friendly and showed me where to go (which was right behind me, doh!). The train we were on didn't make all the stops, it went directly to the center of Paris. Once at the Notre Dame stop we followed signs to get to line 10 which is where Maubert-Mutualite stop is on. Once you are in the Metro tunnels you generally don't need your ticket again, but HOLD on to it at least until you get out of the system and are on the streets. Once on line 10 (head towards Gare D'Austrelitz) it was only one stop to Maubert. There are a few different places you can actually pop out from this station. The Hotel is to the east. It is next door to a brasserie on the north side of the street. The desk staff is very friendly and all speak English well. The breakfast was good (I don't eat much breakfast anyways so I would rather have this than an omelet). The room was very small at first we in room 21 which overlooked the courtyard where they kept the trash bins. We asked to be moved and the next day were moved to room 43 which was very nice. Both rooms were quite small, but much better than a place we stayed in New Orleans.
I wouldn't recommend getting the museum pass, unless you really plan on going to 2-3 museums per day and you really enjoy art. We went to Normandy in the middle of our trip and got a three day museum pass thinking it would save us money. But since we lost a day on our museum pass no matter how we worked it, we ended up losing a bit of money. It also became an obsession to go somewhere just to use the pass. There are a few museums included in the Museum pass that you can get into for free anyways, so I didn't find this to be a good deal at all.
I also wouldn't recommend the CityRama tours. We used them for Normandy and for the Eiffel Tower. For Normandy you were rushed through all the beaches, the meal was at the Peace Museum it was good, but you didn't get to pick your meal. But overall we were rushed and didn't enjoy it because we were familiar with the history and would have enjoyed taken some more time at less places. OH and the bus was EXTREMELY cramped!
The Eiffel tower and Seine dinner cruise was also kind of lacking. We did the dinner first at "Altitude 95" why we did that first I don't know because it was only 6:30 when we got there, they weren't ready for us. Again you were just served a meal and did not get to choose. I did not like it at all, the vegetables were very bland and the chicken was not impressive. Also you had to seat with the whole tour group. For some reason my husband and I assumed we would get our own table and it would be more romantic. Although we did have a whole bottle of wine to ourselves and finished it off quite nicely.
Honestly both of those tours you can sign up for while you are there through many travel agencies.

We did buy the Paris visite pass, for zones 1-3 for 5 days. The Metro system was very easy to figure out, although remember to use the buses as well, my knees were in so much pain from the stairs in the Metro. On the way back to the airport we just used our Paris Visite ticket and we were able to get back, I don't think you are supposed to but it worked anyways.
We had the breakfast at the hotel every morning and if filled us up until dinner mostly. I would have to say we didn't stop to eat a whole lot it gets time consuming, and we were just as happy with a hotdog from a street vendor. We are from Michigan so the weather in February was just fine for us. On the trip to Normandy our tour guide freaked out because it was snowing....which made us laugh because it was just flurries.
I would advise strongly that you should attempt some French. Even if you say bonjour, Merci, and Pardon I think you will be treated much better. We never had one problem with rudeness of any Parisian. The only "people" issues we had were with other tourists. I guess it was also a school holiday at the time so there were teenagers EVERYWHERE. They tended to be obnoxious just like teenagers you would find here. At the dinner at the Eiffel Tower some of the other guests would just speak English to the waiters (Thank you, Excuse me), I kind of found that a little rude and I can see how Parisians would find that annoying. I mean to just say Merci and Pardon sounds so much better.
Overall the trip was great and we are so happy we went. So go yourself and have FUN!

For a first timer--Pleased with my choice

by TripAdvisor Member Alshaw70

I booked this hotel after reading other reviews from tripadvisor members. I was nervous but felt very relieved when my taxi driver told me that my hotel was in a good neighborhood and a very nice hotel. I thought the location was wonderful, lots of restaurants nearby, a pleasant walk to Luxembourg Gardens and a very short walk to Notre Dame. The staff at the hotel was wonderful. They were pleasant and helpful.

I would rate this hotel highly for pleasantness of staff and location. My only problem was the room. In the bathroom there were a couple of tiles missing near the toilet. It didn't disturb my stay and I didn't even report it, but if you are someone where everything must be perfect please be aware that you may see a few imperfections. That is the only thing that reduced my rating.

Excellent Three Star Abbatial

We were so impressed with this three star hotel at a modest price. Excellent staff support, very nice small room, newly redone (1 year?) bathroom. The elevator is very small but just fine one large suitcase at a time. Location on Blvd. Ste. Germain is excellent, right across from St. Nicholas of Chardonnet church (1625) and 10 minute walk to Notre Dame. Great, great stay for four nights! Some rooms open onto the street (can be noisy at night but airy and beautiful), others onto a closed courtyard (quieter, no beauty). You should ask if it matters.

Hotel Abbatial St-GermainHotel Abbatial St-Germain

Abbatial Saint Germain Hotel

by countingdays

I'm booked up to stay here in November and just wondered if anyone had stayed here and if so was it nice? I've never been to Paris before so any comments would be appreciated.

RE: Abbatial Saint Germain Hotel

by CALSF

Yep, I've stayed at the Abbatial St. Germain. I had emailed the staff about reserving a triple room with a view. I asked for a room on either the 5th or 6th floors and they actually confirmed a specific room number to me. Upon arrival it was indeed that room we received. The staff is friendly and helpful. It's a typical Parisian hotel meaning that the walls are thin and the rooms are small if you have a regular double room. However, the bathrooms are spotless and has a bathtub/wall mounted shower combination. And there is a shower screen so as to avoid wetting the floor! We had two windows that could open in the bedroom area and one window in the bathroom. There was a balcony but you really couldn't sit or stand out there. There was a tiny view of the Notre Dame spires from the bathroom.

Location is ideal as it's just a block or so away from the Seine in one direction and a few blocks from St. Germain. There are lots of stores near the hotel on Blvd. St. Germain. Restaurants are plentiful as well.

Here's my comments based on my hotel tip:

• May 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I know the hotel having good quality. However, I post my story which relate to the hotel as a reference before you make decision.
    I'm studying in France. In 28 April 20013, my friend tried to make reservations in order to support for her travel on July in booking.com. However, she made some mistake because she first time use the website. Unluckily, she chooses option in the hotel which is no-refund. She use my friend MasterCard for booking.
    When we realize the mistakes, I quickly inform to the hotel from 30 April. Because I run out of money and that is money for my living in this month (May) and June. Now, my account is minus near 200 euro. I call and beg pity of the hotel to refund my money. Although the assistants are ready to cancel my reservation and other good hotels such as Arial (Nice), Mas des Oliviers.. support me to payback money as my friend errors. I try contact and persuade them to help me. However, firstly, they call me that they're finding the solution and said that I need waiting. However, after waiting nearly 2 weeks, I don't receive any information, I actively contact with them. They said that they can refund for me. The reason they give to me that they cannot change the system. I beg them to pay back my money because I'm currently borrow money to live while I need to stay in France to end of June to finish my study.
    I know that it's hard to change a hotel policy, specially a good reputing hotel. Abbatial Saint Germain is nearly no damage or harm because my friend haven't used their hotel. They have two months for sale the room which my friend booked if they cancel my friend's booking. However, they didn't do as other hotel. I also like to travel and want to choose the best hotel. One day, when you meet a hotel like "Abbatial Saint Germain Hotel". The hotel only focuses on their business and don't care to other. They only want to catch money from your pocket. After you send them money, no way you can get back. What will happen to you when you in my situation?

• leics's Profile Photo
      May 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I am sorry that you were placed in this situation. But it was your friend's mistake and you really cannot blame the hotel, nor expect them to refund your money.

Booking.com is *very* clear indeed about which rooms are 'non-refundable' and which rooms allow free cancellation. This is made very clear not only on the hotel page but also during the booking process. Your friend simply did not read the pages properly before she made the booking.

So whilst I am sorry that you have lost money I am sure you can see why any hotel which offers 'non-refundable' rooms (usually at a very good discount rate) is very unlikely indeed to return the money paid. After all, anyone can say they are desperate and anyone can say they made a mistake...but, in the end, it is up to the individual to read everything before making a booking.

It is a harsh lesson for you and I am sorry you had to experience it.