Abotel Maine Montparnasse

More about Paris

Champs ElyseesChamps Elysees

A mixed boxA mixed box

Main entrance.Main entrance.

Wallace Fountain (1)Wallace Fountain (1)

CDG to Porte Orleans

by BonjourParis82

Hello All,

I am arriving to CDG at 12pm on Saturday June 5th and am staying at the Hotel Terminus Orleans. Does any have any recommendations about this hotel?? Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to my hotel?? I know i can take a bus or train or shuttle or even taxi but which is the best option and most economical :) I am traveling with a carry on and a rolling suitcase, will this be ok on the regular RER B train?? or are those normally congested??

by Roadquill

The RER B should not be crowded on Saturday coming into Paris. I have always found there to be a lot of room even with a few bags. There should be a metro connection or two to get you close to the Hotel, but you it may get squishy on the metro with baggage on Sat. afternoon (most economical). You may want to consider taking the RER B to Gare du Nord and then taking a taxi to your hotel. There are several buses from CDG to Paris center, for example the Airfrance bus. These are inexpensive, room for luggage, but may not drop you off close enough to your hotel. I brought my parents in on the airfrance bus so they could see the city on thier way in, something you don't get taking the RER B line in. As to the hotel, I always check reviews on tripadvisor.com and venere.com. Karl

by BonjourParis82

Thanks for all the help!! :)

by Maryimelda

I can recommend the Hotel Terminus first hand. I stayed tere last September (see my tip on my Paris page). If you want to take Karl's suggestion about the Air France shuttle which I swear by, you could get the Line 4 shuttle from CDG to Montparnasse and then take a taxi to the Hotel. It would be a shorter taxi ride than from Paris Nord.

by Suet

When travelling on the Metro do NOT have your laptop on display and if you get asked ANYTHING by anybody, put your hand on your case and hold on. Hubby was robbed on the Metro and so was I.

Travel Tips for Paris

Paris, Virginia, USA

by XenoHumph

Paris is a cute little village of less than 100 inhabitants. It is located at the foothills of the Appalachians, not far from the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. So, what's to do there? Well, I suppose you could have a nice dinner at the Ashby Inn (see photo, and website below) . I have to admit I have never eaten there. And you can hike in the beautiful surrounding countryside!

Location: about 40 miles (64 km) West of Washington D.C. on US50. http://www.ashbyinn.com/reviews.html

Place De La Concorde

by barryg23

Formerly called Place De La Revolution, over 1000 people were guillotened here during the French Revolution. Nowadays, it is one of the busiest squares in Paris, with traffic coming from all directions.

see the fantastic and...

by steventilly

see the fantastic and futuristic architecture of La Defence.

I've never seen anything like it, but then I don't come frm Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur or New York. Futuristic skyscrapers are new to me. I love it.

Customs

by CMagalha

Just ti clarify WHY I opened this topic:

Since the beggining of 2008, several brasilians ( I mean here a number around 200 people ) have been sent back from the MADRID, Spain, airport. This has made to the news and several people that we think that should not be discriminated are so. Other have been kept at the airport, for several ahours in a small room, without having access to a phone, barely having access to water.

Of course, I must admit, some of these people should be sent back, since they were trying to ilegally immigrate to EU using Spain as port of entry, due to similarities between portuguese and spanish. Some even did not carry more than US$100 in their pockets.

That trigged a response from customs officials here, in Brasil, and cities like Salvador and Rio de Janeiro started to check documents in depth and sending back spanish people. Retaliation, they say, and several comments on the press report this. This is NOT a official position taken by the goverment, I must say. Just a response from some custom officials.

Then I started to wonder: EU immigration rules are the same for all countries. And I called the French Consulate and got the answer I reported at the beggining of the topic.

I am 62 and do not want to leave things to chance. That's why I would like to get experiences and information on the subject.

I did not make a decision yet. But probably I will buy travellers checks just to show and will bring most of them back, wasting the bank spread and taxes, just to play safe.

I will re-read carefully all comments later on and post any responses, if needed.

Thank you all.

Packing List

by shalin

Rain is frequent,so be sure to carry some raingear(especially windcheaters or raincheaters which are more convenient than umbrellas) whatever you carry,wherever you go,be sure to take good care of it!:)

Comments