Abricotel Hotel Paris

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 34% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Hotel Abricotel

This is a no-frills two-star hotel located in the northeast corner of Paris. At first I thought it was a bit far from the center, but after I knew the way it only took me 22 minutes by Vélib' bike to get back to the hotel from Place de la Bastille.

Of course if you had business in Auteuil or Javel, at the opposite corner of the city, you would probably want to stay there and not here. But if you want to explore the Canal St. Martin, Les Buttes-Chaumont or La Villette Park (with the Music Museum, Cité de la Musique and Cité des sciences et de l’industrie), then this is a convenient place to stay.

Second photo: Vélib' station 19012, with 58 attachment points, is only half a block from the hotel across from a pleasant little square at 5 rue Lally Tollendal. I always found a bike here when I needed one, and always found a free attachment point when I returned in the evening.

Note the Wallace Fountain in the middle of the little square across from the Vélib' station. This is one of the sixty-five remaining "large model fountains" in which the roof is held up by four women representing kindness, simplicity, charity and sobriety. The water falling from the roof is safe to drink, in fact that's what it's for.

Third photo: My room at the Hotel Abricotel was small but perfectly adequate, and at 57 Euros per night was not unduly expensive. The continental breakfast cost seven Euros extra, but you could decide each day if you wanted it or not.

Fourth photo: The street, rue Lally Tollendal, was named after the Marquis de Lally-Tollendal (1751-1830), a politician who was active before, during and after the French Revolution.

Back to my first review from June 2012: Tomb of l'Emperrrreurrrrr

OR

Back to my Paris intro page to leave a comment

Directions:
    Vélib' 19012
    Location on the Vélib' map
    Métro Jaurès

More about Abricotel Hotel Paris

Economy hotel

by maria.dyachkova about Abricotel

I stayed there twice with my friend, we had a double room, cant say its a big room but enough for two who came to enjoy the city and just needed place where to sleep..
The second time i came they gave as a discount as a regular clients.. also we had breakfast included, common continental breakfast, but it was good!
Stuff is very friendly and they always tried to answer our questions and tried to assist us when we asked.. Always polite and smiling!! Its a small hotel, it doesnt have a pool or whatever 5*hotel have, but its located in just few steps from the subway, so it easy to get to any place from it.

Tomb of Jean-Baptiste Languet de GergyTomb of Jean-Baptiste Languet de Gergy

Palais-RoyalPalais-Royal

Arc de TriompheArc de Triomphe

Door of 29 Avenue RappDoor of 29 Avenue Rapp

rlizard

by rlizard

Where would you go in Paris for really good boeuf bourguignon at a reasonable price ie 35E or less for meal and wine. Look forward to your recommendations,

by rlizard

Pedmar, Yes it is always best prepared by loving hands...I suspect your wife would not be thrilled to make it for 5 strangers so I much appreciate your recommendations. Thanks

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER

Hi Elizabeth
I just wanted to let you know that Pedro is VT's foremost authority on Parisian dining (in my opinion of course) . he is a food and wine critic and I often compare notes or just relax with his suggestions. I expect to take my daughter to Paris in eight months and look forward to more of his dining recommendations.

Take his to heart as I am sure will not be disappointed.

Cheers!

by Manara

Pedro, I have added your suggestion to my Do-it-yourself travel guide and I will make good use of it on my next trips to Paris.

by rlizard

Pedmar, Your wife's recipe sounds fabulous! Now I'm really sure wherever we go will be no more than 2nd best. Again, thanks for the recommendations.

by ForestqueenNYC

Pedro, thanks for the recipe. I will give it a try next time I make it.

I just made it for my friend back here in Boston using a recipe from the internet. It was pretty simple (not like the recipe of Julia Child which I believe takes hours and hours) and absolutely delicious. Since the only wine I had in the house was a Cab that's what I used so I guess you could call mine boeuf cabernet. It was a bit sweeter than boeuf bourguignon.

It is standard fare in bistros and cafés in Paris. I have tried it a few times and definitely agree it's best made at home.

Travel Tips for Paris

Night Travel

by fishandchips

Paris is a nice place to wander about at night with the city having its monuments lit up to the best effect. The saying "all cities look the same at night" is true of paris in the main however there are a few exceptions. An example is the Eiffel Tower that gets lit up every hour after dark for 10 minutes or so and looks great.

A very exciting place to be when this happens is the lookout at Troccadero or from a boat on the Seine as I am in the photo in 1999 (220 days before Y2K).

The 8th Arrondissement

by Lady_Mystique

Back on the Right Bank, the 8th offers... the Avenue des Champs-Elysees, often described as the most beautiful avenue in the world and the symbolic centre of France.

There are magnificent views along the axis from the Arc du Carrousel by the Louvre in the 1st through the Arc du Triomphe at the juncture of 8th, 16th, and 17th, to the Grande Arche de la Defense west of the Peripherique.

The main branch of the Paris Tourist Bureau is here, near the Arc du Triomphe.

Other attractions in the 8th include the Grand and Petit Palais, the Place de la Concorde, La Madeleine, an abundance of haute couture houses, and the lovely Parc Monceau on the northwestern edge.
Neighborhoods include Etoile, Monceau, Faubourg Honore, and L'Europe (also in the 9th).

The Old Man Game

by basbed23

The French love their Boule. On many occasions I have come across old men playing Boule. Boule is a lot like lawn bowling. There is a small ball and each player has three chances to throw his larger, heavier ball towards the smaller in order to score points. The player who gets his "boule" the closest scores the point. I'm still having a difficult time understanding this simple game.

Pack, then take half of it out

by parismumsie

Let me start by saying that I am notorious for packing way more than I ever need. That said, I made a real effort to take only what would fit in my one and only suitcase. My daughter says you might have to pay extra if your bag weighs too much. I can't verify that, but my French wasn't good enough to argue with a French ticket agent. We traveled in March and we knew the weather would be in the 40's most of the time. I really think you could take 2 pairs of black slacks (washable if possible), and a few tops or sweaters and do fine. I stuck to black, but took more than I needed. If it's cold, who knows what's under that coat. I threw if a few pashminas (my daughter swears I took a dozen!) to add some zip to my somber wardrobe. We noticed that most of the Parisian women had scarves all wrapped in different ways. I felt tres chic!! My daughter took a short black peajacket and I took a black raincoat with a zip- in lining and used it. We forgot gloves. A mistake. For the first time in my life I didn't take a dozen pairs of shoes. Whatever you take ,they better be comfortable. We found black shoes with rubber soles were perfect and weren't too sporty so we got by with 2 pairs of shoes for the whole trip. Don't forget a small, collapsible umbrella! I understand that in order to bring prescription drugs into France it should be in the original pill bottle. I took one set in my tote and another set in my suitcase to be on the safe side. My camera had a rechargable battery , and I just bought a disposable one as a back up. I think some cameras don't use anything but rechargable ones. In that case, spring for an adapter. If you have a digital make sure you take a backup memory card. You will want to take a zillion pictures in Paris. I am sure they can be purchased there but wouldn't want to have to try and find the right kind. You might consider a smaller fold up type tote in case you have lovely items you buy that you can't squeeze into your suitcase. Also, I always try and take some zip type plastic bags for dirty clothes, and anything that might spill. If you forget something who cares! You're in Paris. Won't it be fun to shop for a replacement!

Comments