Acadia Opera

Costs about the same, but rated 12% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Paris

choises at Maraischoises at Marais

The modern section, Nov 2010The modern section, Nov 2010

casual and nonchalantcasual and nonchalant

Superb glasshouse found at no. 40.Superb glasshouse found at no. 40.

One Last Question - Duty Free at Orly Airport

by MapleMoose

For some reason I am just getting around to checking out the Orly airport layout and the duty-free situation for our trip home. Tomorow is our departure TO Paris. From what I have read, the duty-free booze seems to be tied in with the VAT refund. i.e. buy more than 175 Euros worth and get a refund at a different location in the airport. Am I reading this right or can I buy it at the already reduced price in the international departure area as I have in every other airport?

by MapleMoose

Thanks Pedro but I was not going to buy that much. I normally pick up 2 bottles of duty-free liquor at reduced price to bring home without forms or anything. It usually costs about half of what it would normally cost. In other European countries I have been to they have VAT refund but also duty-free store in international departures area which is unrelated. Seems strange that this would not be same in France.

by MapleMoose

OK, thanks Pedro. Before I leave I want to thank you and all the others for all your answers from Versailles to Eiffel Tower to Duty-Free booze. I feel that much more prepared to face the big city now. Merci.

by MapleMoose

Pedmar, we have returned and your tips definitely helped. Just too bad you couldn't control the weather. The week we spent in Paris Aug. 11-18 was very rainy. However, we put up our umbrellas and saw almost everything we wanted to see, although every time we started to plan a picnic the skies seemed to open so we had baguettes and wine in our hotel room! All in all a successful trip though, Thanks!

Travel Tips for Paris

Public toilets and their working hours

by prasadp77

Though there are public toilets, for us we had some troubles in understanding their arrow directions, so we had tough time sometimes finding toilet.
Though there are few self cleaning toilets, at least we didn't come across many of them but there are many attended public toilets and they are open only between 10.00 to 12.00 and 13.00 to 17.30
Suggestion is, you see a public toilet and even if you are not in a rush, better use it, you never know if you gonna find it soon if you are walking around

Notre Dame

by grishaV1

Some people say the French are arrogant, too much so. Seems lately it's some groups of Americans that say so too loudly, but looking at architecture like Notre Dame how could one not be a little bit overly proud of what you consider your country and its works? No justifying going overboard, and France in general has a long history of war and strife at certain times especial fueled by the church, but as much as I am not religious I really love to see cathedrals and churches such as this one. Its so beautiful what man can do if they apply their mind and efforts. Much better than war and intolerance to other men and ideas.

Visit Place de la Concorde.

by sheryl_tan

The most magnificent square of Paris. It was the main execution site during the Reign of Terror when 1119 people, including the King Louis XVI and his wife Marie-Antoinette, were executed.

Around the square, 8 statues representing 8 different cities in France were commissioned. The 2 fountains there were inspired by the ones in St. Peter's in Rome. The 3300-year-old, pink granite obelisk in the middle of the place was given to France in 1831 by Egypt.The base of the obelisk depicts how it was transported and erected on the square.

From the square, you will be able to get superb views of the entire length of Champs-Elys¨¦es avenue and Arc de Triomphe, on one side, and Le Louvre and the Tuileries gardens, on the other side.

Quality of service in restaurants

by Hamster_Huey

Many of my internationall friends, especially americans, complained about the poor quality of service in France in bars and restaurants.

It is just a misunderstanding: in France, you have to FLAG the waiting staff if you want something. Bothering a customer while he is eating or having a conversation is considered rude here.

Don't snap your fingers or yell 'garçon' though. Just make eye contact and wave, or say something like 'please' or 'excuse me'.

Paris in the Springtime

by Erin74

I've been to Paris twice in the Spring. If you're traveling to Paris in March or April, it will probably be cold and a bit rainy. Be prepared! Bring a good umbrulla and warm clothing (in layers, just in case it warms up).

I highly recommend bringing a scarf and gloves in addition to a warm coat. If you plan to spend a lot of time outside, pack a pair of long underwear. Better safe than sorry!!

Comments