Aida Marais Paris

Costs 23% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Best Western Aida Marais Paris

3 stars?

by TripAdvisor Member Coert

Good location, nice pictures on the website, promising entrance, but I'm very curious how The Aida Marais got their 3 star rating. During our 3 night stay, we couldn't even give one star per day:

The 1st night we spent in a very small room on the 1st floor, at the streetside. We had to squeeze ourselves in and out the bathroom since the bed was so close to the door, it opened only halfway. A change of rooms was not possible until the next day, so we went out for a drink and had a great evening.

Next morning, after an acceptable breakfast, we requested another room, and the friendly dutch hôtesse gave us a room on the 5th floor. It was bigger and looked cosy at first sight, but had some very poor finishing: The woodwork in the window needed some serious painting and wires were sticking out of the wall. But the bathroom was the worst and simplyunacceptable: There was hair and a used soap in the bath, the toilet didn't flush properly and the room spread a bad, moisty smell. The towels didn't smell fresh either, and were supposed to be white, but had some orange and brown spots on the edges and corners. We didn't want to complain again, used the one towel that was clean to take a quick shower and decided to go out and have a good time. And so we did.

At the end of the day the room was cleaned and... The used soap was still on the side of the bath!! The water boiler contained cleaning vinager (good to get the chalk out of the boiler but not in your tea) and the new towels AGAIN showed orange spots on the corners, obviously not from OUR ears. I went down with the water boiler and the dirty towels to change them and we decided to forget about it and go out for a drink. On my way out I looked at the door, which showed the rate for this room and I scratched the back of my head: 190 to 210 euro's per night...

In the end we had a great time in Paris, and I wondered if I would spoil it with a big complain on our checkout. But we weren't even asked if we had a good stay, so unfortunately, I had to keep all our remarks for this review, for which I was invited through an email.

Sorry Best Western Aida Marais, the entrance and the 3 stars look promising, but if it was my hotel, I would make some structural changes to make the hotel deserve them. I will definitely be visiting Paris again, so maybe you can offer me a chance to write a better review next time.

Coert Buiting

I've stayed in better

by TripAdvisor Member M&E_London

On the basis of the simple test of "would you stay here again", the answer would be a resounding no - there are many better options in Paris for the same or cheaper price.

Positives - Some things I accept in Paris - the room was small and no external windows (looked out into the lobby) - but the bathroom was fairly big and clean. Plenty of clean towels and good airconditioning unit.

Negatives - There was no bath plug and the shower head would not stay up without you holding it in place. These are simple things that a good hotel would have fixed. I asked to use an iron and the only thing they could provide was some 18th century contraption, and no ironing board - it did work though, as my hopes were not high - though without the board very difficult! The plug socket in the room was half off the wall and sparked when I tried to plug the iron in.

I was surprised after the other positive reviews on Tripadvisor, maybe I just got unlucky with the room.

Nice place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Vialetta

We only stayed one night here, but we were very happy with our experience. The rooms weren't large, but how large do you need them to be??? They were clean, the decor was really nice and there was a kettle etc. The bathroom was also very clean with a bath and a shower - and the water pressure was great.

The staff on reception were very helpful and allowed us to leave our bags on the second day so that we didn't have to lug them around the city.

We didn't try the breakfast, but the artisan boulangerie over the road sold delicious croissant etc.

Near the Strasbourg-St Denis metro entrance there are quite a few places to eat - we liked the bistrot and the creperie. Fairly reasonably priced and good food.

This metro station is about 5 mins walk from the hotel and everything they say about how good the Paris metro is is true. We bought a carnet (pack of ten metro tickets) for 11 euros, but I read somewhere on the internet that if you're staying in Paris for a week it's better to take passport photos with you and get an orange card for even cheaper travelling around.

Anyway, I digress! This hotel is perfectly fine for staying in and is handily near the Gare du Nord if you've come by Eurostar.

Very acceptable for my family on a budget

by TripAdvisor Member traveldadFrankfurt

Nothing great, nothing to complain about either. Very decent stay, quiet, clean, good location. Myself and my three sons, ages 14 - 20, stayed for four nights in two rooms. The place was clean, quiet, well located, helpful staff . . . what is there to complain about? Really nothing! What is there to rave about? Also nothing really. But that is the point . . . in Paris you need a room to sleep in, a shower to bathe in, and a filling breakfast to start your day . . . and nothing else . . . the rest of the day you spend in PARIS!

I am an international businessman, so this is not the sort of hotel I normally stay in (think Hyatt or Hilton) but, hey, when you are paying yourself, you can accept a bit less. And this place delivered, a very decent stay in a wonderful city!

A lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Jenibabes88

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 7 nights in july, and really enjoyed my time. The room was on the small side but it was fine for the two of us. It was very clean and the maid came in everyday to change the towels and make the bed.
The staff were all very friendly and very helpful when asked questions about Paris. The fact that the door on the outside was locked, and when entering the receptionist had to buzz you in, made me feel very safe and was a great aspect of the hotel.

The only problem that we encontered was the air conditioning not working properly in the room. The room was extremely warm and i did not feel comfortable leaving the windows open all day. Although, when the air conditioning was turned on in the corridor, this cooled the room down and made it a more comfortable temperature.

All in all, I found this hotel to be excellent and up to Best Westerns usual standard. I would definately stay here again.

"quick stop"

by TripAdvisor Member kcchiu888

We stayed at this hotel for just 1 night after a day spent at Disneyland Paris.The hotel is only a few minites from Republique metro station in Place de Republique and was easy to find. We chose this hotel for its location being near Gare du Nord.
Receptionists spoke good English and we were checked in quickly. We paid £58 for 1 night room only. We booked a double but got a twin with a 3rd bed laid out too. Even without the 3rd bed the room is small but was clean and functional.There was a bath with a shower but there were only hand towels, no bath towels. There were basic toiletries and the bathroom was bright and clean.
Satelite tv in the room had skynews, bbc news, cnn etc and we had a good night sleep.In the place de Republique there is a variety of eateries to choose from. So if you need a basic, clean room in a central loction then i would recommend this hotel.

Fab little hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tonesx

This is a lovely little hotel at the "nice" end of Road!!, if using the Metro i suggest using the "Republic" staion and not "Chateau Du" as were mobbed by the locals!!. We stayed in room 506 which was fantastic, with a lovely big balcony on which we spent a whole night sipping wine and just relaxing. We stayed for 2 nights and just had enough room for baggage - yes the room was slightly small and the storage maybe pushing it for more then 2 nights but the view more than made up for this. If your looking for a quality, budget hotel that is close to the centre of Paris then stay here in room 506 and enjoy!!!

Cold showers, safety concerns

by TripAdvisor Member Redpandachicago

I booked this hotel because I wanted a moderately priced room in a not so touristy part of Paris, near a metro stop. At 135 euros, the price was perfect, unfortunately the stay was far from that.

The first problem I noted upon my arrival, if it wasn't 10:00 pm I might have looked for other options. I am a woman that was obviously traveling alone. Properly trained hotel staff should know that when presented with this scenario, they should not pronounce the number of the hotel room loudly, twice, with other people, particularly men, within hearing distance. And then go on to say "you're staying right next to that guy" as another guest walks past the desk. Security should be their main concern for individual travelers, which was obviously not the case here.

The second problem occured on my 2nd morning there. I attempted to take a shower and saying that the water from the tap was lukewarm would be a bit generous. Apparently you need to shower before 9am to get actual hot water.

I only wish I could have been as lucky to have water that I could actually tolerate for two minutes the following day. The tap water was freezing! As it was 18 degrees (C) and raining outside that morning, this was definitely not acceptable. When I called reception I was informed that they were hoping to have the water fixed by 1pm that day. I had a tour that started at 10pm so that was not very helpful to me.

The final nail on the coffin so to speak was when I returned to my room later that afternoon and found that the housekeeping staff had left my door ajar after servicing the room. Not only did they not lock the door, it was open!!! oh, and the safe in the room had been blinking with the "low battery" sign earlier this morning so I was just ready to find everything missing. Thankfully, everything was intact, but again, I felt threatened for the safety of myself and my belongings.

After I presented the manager with the list of dissapointments I had experienced they were able to "apologize" with a whopping 50 euro credit! Hardly sufficient to justify 2 days of cold showers and a major security breach. I checked out of the room to head for the airport at 7pm and the management even refused to discount the room fee and charged me the full charge for the final night that I wasn't even staying at the hotel!

If you're willing to deal with the problems above and would like further information about the room, here it is. Very small room, which I consider acceptable for a moderately priced room in Europe. No minibar or complimentary water, but water and soft drinks available for purchase in lobby. Ladies, if you plan on drying your hair- bring your own or allow about an hour with a 1970's unit attached to the wall that works like a reverse vacuum cleaner. Soap and shampoo provided. Bed was decent and room/bathroom clean. Very limited storage space. Any more than one person/suitcase would result in several stubbed toes. Could not get the heat to work- only cold air came out of the vents. No fitness facility on site- you will be directed to the Club Med near Republique square for a fee of 25 euros/person/day.

Location was good for access to the metro, but if you walk a few too many blocks to the left from the front door of the hotel, the neighborhood can get a bit sketchy. The other direction was fine.

Comments