Altona Hotel Paris

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 27% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

• Bed bugs (mites)!!!!!!

The hotel had BED BUGS!! STAY AWAY!! We were bitten all night and woke with huge itching spots on our body and face. Showed hotel owner and they were very rude and unhelpful, they refused to believe we'd been bitten even when I showed them the bites on my face! They reluctantly gave us another room which we found later was swirling with bed bugs! When we told them they threatened to throw us out the hotel saying 'madam we cannot receive you any longer' . My baby was bitten on his face! The hotel was filthy and the room ABSOLUTELY STANK.
    There are two brothers working here who are CERY rude and racist to guests!
    We had to spray deodorant around just to be able to enter the room.
    The lift is broken and only gives 3secs time to enter and leave the lift, so I got stick in the doorway with my baby's pram so many times and it doesn't reopen when you're in the way, it just crushes you!!! When I told then about all this on my way out of the hotel they shouted at me as if it's all my fault. The room only had 1 plug Socket which was on the floor and ripped out of the wall and left there with wires sticking out! Unbelievable. Please keep your family away from this hotel from hell! It's not 2 stars it's NO stars. I'm taking legal action against them soon. Anyone want to join my legal action my email is Sarah . Sohrabi at yahoo.co.uk

Unique Quality: The most rude, fraudulent and racist staff I've seen running a hotel (with the exception of the tall dark gentleman)

• doodybee's Profile Photo

Cheap and Cheerful

we stayed in Hotel Altona in Monmatre - booked through alpharooms - cheap and cheerfull imo - not too far away from gard du nord - sacre couer - and moulin rouge - its one of those places you just have a bed - eat your breakfast and go out for the day - nothing to spend any time in the hotel for

hope you sort something nice
    Julie

Unique Quality: The photos are from the hotel website

More about Altona Hotel Paris

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member howsitfeel

Me and a few friends stayed at the Hotel Altona to see Paris, it was a really great place to stay. The rooms were clean and perfectly spacious, the location was ideal with several Metro lines to the heart of Paris, plus the owners were really nice, and helped in any way they could.
We really liked this hotel and are thinking of going back again.

this hotel is a fraud

by TripAdvisor Member alinutzapif

I have made a reservation for 8 nights for this hotel through an important reservation center. I had made a reservation at the Altona Hotel 1 month prior to arrival and, as I've had bad experience with hotels that cancel reservations without letting the customer know, I've called the hotel twice - 1 week and 2 days prior to my arrival. Everithing appeared to be okay, I speak French so it wasn't a problem for me to communicate with the staff by phone.
When I arrived at the hotel, 1 hour before check-in, and the guys at the reception saw my voucher (the reservation had already been paid for 1 month in advance), one of them, not knowing that I understand his language, started to tell the other that he would never give me a room for the price I paid, and that he'll tell me they're overbooked. I was shocked and told him in French that everything had been paid for and I want the room I had booked. Well, they let us in, and, 2 hours later, they told us that they only have a single room, even though we were 2 people, and that if we can't manage that, we should leave. The same guy at the reception kept insulting us, said that we bought the room too cheap and that, anyway, he had sold all of his rooms.
Also, there were other 10 people at the reception with vouchers, who couldn't get in, their biggest problem was that they didn't speak French, so they didn't understand what was going on.
The hotel looks awful anyway, and, except for the location, very close to Sacre-Coeur, there isn't anything good I could say about it. The guys at this hotel are frauds and if you want to have a pleasant stay in Paris - which, eventually, we did - don't buy your rooms at this hotel.

What Is that smell?!

by TripAdvisor Member AussieTraveller15

Well, where to start with the Altona Hotel...?

I travelled there in October 2006 with a friend and our main issues were the following:
- cleanliness
- staff

However, to start on a more positive note, the hotel is easy to find from Barbes Rochecourt metro station, and this is convenient if you are using the metro to get around. It is close to areas such as Montmartre, which has its ups and downs. The upside is that you are nearby to lovely parts of Paris such as Montmartre, however the downside being that it can be a bit dodgy at night! So, location quite good, however you do need to watch your back a little.

The room was quite small, however for a room with ensuite it probably was reasonable.

Flopping onto our beds after arriving, we were hit by the waft of cigarette smoke from the bedding, nice. This was a daily welcome home for us, as the smell seemed to get stronger, as if housekeeping were smoking whilst making up the room. Turning back the sheets, we discovered a few unidentifiable spicks and specks, charming. The floor also needed a good vacuum.

The shower cubicle was tiny, and the shower head had a tendency to drop down or fall away from its holder on the wall.

Our floor was quite noisy, there were at least 2 families with young children also staying nearby, one with a very unhappy baby. A couple of days into our stay, we noticed the most unpleasant stink coming from one of the rooms where it sounded like a family of 8 were sharing a room meant for 2 people. To this day, we have no idea what the smell was, but it was a vile mix of dirty nappies, spicy food, unwashed bed linen and unwashed humans - it was one of the most revolting things I have ever smelt in my life. We reasoned that perhaps one of the children had been sick and that housekeeping would resolve the stink that day, but alas not, and the smell just got worse.

Now, the staff at Altona Hotel are some of the strangest I met on my travels! It seemed to be run by two Frenchman, who we suspect were twin brothers, and they shared the most appaling attitude towards their guests. After a brusque meeting at reception, we went to use the lift which we couldn't get to work. On a later occasion one of the owners saw us standing by the lift trying to get it to work and snapped "Yes, you can use the lift!", i replied "we can't get it to work" so he flounced over and demonstrated that if you wanted to go UP in the lift, you had to press the DOWN button, logical no?

The staff also mimicked our attempts to speak French, and not in a light-hearted manner, they clearly despised us being there, paying them money to stay in their hotel. Being Australian, we are naturally friendly, yet our smiles were met with sullen glares and yes, mocking of our attempts to speak French.

Having said this, there was one gentleman who worked there who was quite considerate and although not friendly like we are used to, he was civil towards us. He was a tall, dark skinned man, which doesn't narrow things down much, but I think he deserves a special mention for his attitude in this shoddy hotel!

Breakfast was included in the room rate and it is a traditional French hotel breakfast, croissants, baguettes and jam basically! However, if you're on a budget as we were, it is appreciated as it helps you fill up for the day!

Altona was recommended to us by a travel agent back home as a good budget option. Yes it is a budget hotel and we weren't expecting 5 star luxury, however little things like cleanliness and friendliness we think are standard, and these were sadly lacking at Altona Hotel.

Good for money

by TripAdvisor Member DidMexico

I think this hotel just represents what you pay for: it was cheap and I did not expect a good quality of service and that is what I had!!

I just wanted a good location, cheap hotel to visit Paris during 3 days and I was pleased with this hotel: beds, very quiet, and hot water... What else ask for??

Well, I recommend this hotel for people they do not care about confortable place or good quality of sevice, this is a good place not to spend lot of money and be in a veru good location to go anywhere in paris!!!

Hope that will help your next trip!!

Have a nice stay!!!

What's the deal?

by TripAdvisor Member snelpolak

I cannot understand what people seem to be going on about. I found the hotel to be clean and there was plenty of space in our room. The location was good, very close to the metro and in nice parisian surroundings. The breakfast could have been better, but everything else was satisfying and well worth the price.

Please dont stay here!!

by TripAdvisor Member natilly_c

please dont stay at this hotel! it was the only bad spot on what would otherwise have been a good weekend in paris. Hotel was dirty and cramped and apparently lighting the halls at night isn't something which the owners feel has to be done. The shower head was broken which meant you actually has to hold it in one hand while washing with the other. If you want to have an unblemished weekend in paris, dont stay here.

Not bad

by TripAdvisor Member SigBjornybe

The hotel wasnt bad. Quite basic and could do with an overhaul but at this price one cannot complain! The staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel is beside a metro station which gives direct access to the Louvre and Champs Elyesse and a couple of minutes walk from Gard du Nord. Perfect location for a budget trip to Paris.

quite good for the price

by TripAdvisor Member anonNi

dont know what everyone is talking about, hotel was nice, staff friendly, breakfast simple, but nice. room was quite run down but bathroom was lovely and clean. area quite dodgy at night tho.

What you pay for is what u get!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member jetmeaway

Myself & the Fiance stayed in this Hotel in June of 2006 on a City Break for 4 nights. First off it only cost us €140.00 for the room with Breakfast for the 4 nights so on average €35.00 per room per night, so as u may suspect our expectations warent too high. The Hotel was pretty shabby and dusty but the sheets were cleaned every day and the bathroom was very clean. Metro line accross the road that went everywhere. Staff in Hotel didnt speak mush english and were rather rude and abrupt but we just wanted a cheap clean place to stay so we could explore the city and it was perfect for this. Would def recommend a Pub/Restaurant called "Brassarie de Nord" it was brilliant and staff were brilliant craic. !!!

3 star hotel in Paris

by ash9x9

Hi! Can any one advise a 3 star hotel in Paris? Budget around Euro 60-70/night for a double room ,need to be centrally located and safe location, many thnx!

by Gillybob

You might struggle on that budget. If you are able to stretch a bit further - check out my hotel tip for Hotel Tourisme on my Paris page. Their rate is around 80 Euros for a double room.

by marielexoteria

Hotel des 3 Nations costs around 67€. Info on my Paris page.

by doodybee

hotel altona booked through alpaharooms may qualify - near gard du nord - monmatre

by Roadquill

For 60-70 euro per night I doubt you will find a real three star hotel in Paris. Even then it will not be in a good area. Fortunately, the metro in Paris is very good and you can be on the outer metro line stops and still be in Paris center pretty quickly. Once you get 3-4 referrals, check them out on tripadvisor.com and venere.com. The candid user reviews are pretty good and oftentimes you find another one that better suits your needs. I paid 78 euro for a single at the Hotel Louvre Forum several years ago. Very close to the Louvre, and though it was not a ***, I would heartily recommend it for a place to stay, Excellent staff. Karl

by Mikebb

Hi Check out Hotel Sorbonne, in the Latin quarter, we stayed there peak season , but their rates will drop later in year, photos on my pages, recommend you email their enquiry or phone as web page rates may not have specials. Great location.
Good Luck,