Arotel Hotel Paris

Musee d'Orsay, ParisMusee d'Orsay, Paris

Nov 2009 - nightly light showNov 2009 - nightly light show

Versailles

by mani8kgm

We are staying at the Ibis Montmartre. And comtemplating a trip to Versailles! I believe the train is the quickest way there. Can we buy tickets to the palace at the station- think I read that somewhere? What is the best way, time, to get to Versailles. There are different types of tickets. Which is the best one to buy- is it the passport? Please help!
Thank you, in advance!!

Re: Versailles

by Mikebb

In 2007 we visited Versailles Palace. Staying in the Latin Quarter we travelled on the metro, one line change, less than 40 minutes. We purchased our entrance/ tour tickets jon arrival just outside the train station. You will see a notice. This allowed us direct entry and saved time. Recommend you include entry ticket for gardens, very special.

If you visit my Paris page you will see photos and a tip on Versailles, most likely a travelogue also.

Good Luck,
Mike

Re: Versailles

by mani8kgm

Excellent. Thank you so much! This is exactly what we will do!

Travel Tips for Paris

Paris

by Docu2001

I have only one suggestion for Paris ... and that is ... go!

Each of you will discover your own Paris. And if you fall in love with it, you will imagine your own Parisian endings to a hundred stories you will tell yourself about how your life was changed by the city of light.

Walking in Paris is the only way I know to become familiar with it ... Stop when you can and listen ... look up and deeply every chance you get. And if you are very fortunate, you will meet a person who shows you a place ... thick with history and experience ... smelling of it. A small Chinese restaurant, its walls painted a highly polished red ... and a small, old woman dressed in a floor-length silk dress, who told stories of Picasso and the War and how she fled for her life once ... when she was a young mother and wife.

The tower

by TinKan

This is probbly one of the best known pictures of any city skyline.
Paris is to some a very romantic city and has something to offer all. We took the bus tour in July and it rained every day. We were the only people on the upper deck of the bus with our ponchos on and enjoying the city sights.

SMART WAYS TO SPEND YOUR DOLLARS

by nygaston

Description:
- MUSEUM
Transportation + museum : it is always the same issue, you have to choose between the efficiency OR the savings. Generally, (and mostly with children), I prefer the efficiency, when the savings are not so important...

- RESTAURANT
lunch is cheaper, and they have generally a standard good MENU around 10 Euros. When you don't see the MENU, ask for it.
For desserts, the drinks and the cafe, generally the restaurants charge more (2 or 6 times); so I like to go in a Tea Room : the cafe is good and they have a lot a cakes, for a better price.

- DINNER
I enjoy the food markets in Paris where the products are cheap and fresh. But, I like to cook French recipes. You can also go out in Chinatown, just for a vietnamese soup (PHO) or the Student Area (Quartier Latin) where the dinners are cheap and good.
Sometimes, I prefer a very big and good breakfast (cereals, eggs, fruits, etc...), then a light lunch and a good dinner.

- BARS, CAFE
Attention, you will have 3 rates for your drinks, the prices can be 3 or 8 times the normal ones.
1- at the bar, the cheapest
2- at the table
3- at the terrasse

- CULTURE
When people speak loudly, we think that they are American or Australian; when they don't, we think they are British (indeed !)

- TRANSPORTATION
Metro and bus: I like the bus, because it is a good and cheap way to see Paris.

Customer Satisfaction:

ATAC
LIDL

Good food and products:
The French Markets

Always, Always say Bon Jour. ...

by Jack_Olson

Always, Always say Bon Jour. Even is just asking where the restroom is. In American culture we think we are being respectful by not taking up anymore of the persons time than necessary, so we get to the point and get out of their way. But in Europe and especially France, if you don't acknowledge them as a human being first by saying hello or good day it is an insult that they are not worth being treated as human. And if you say hello in French so much the better.

Packing List

by adriniu

Backpacks are good .... for me at least. I went in December and it did rain so it is good if you bring your rain gear if you are going in the same period of time that i did. Get a good camera!! Beautiful place such as Paris ... you will want to capture the beauty of it all with the right equipment. But if you are a student like me with only a auto-zoom camera, do not stinge on the quality of the film. I used Konica Film and i heard that Fuji film and paper sucks (my cousin said so) so maybe you will wanna avoid Fuji.

Comments