Art Hotel

More about Paris

Jardin de LuxembourgJardin de Luxembourg

The flying buttress of Notre DameThe flying buttress of Notre Dame

famous stained - glass windowsfamous stained - glass windows

Paris kitty in a window near Luxembourg GardensParis kitty in a window near Luxembourg Gardens

Hop On Hop Off & time required to visit museums

Dear VT Colleagues,
These are the final set of questions that are keeping us in dilemma before we fly to france tomorrow. Reading more is confusing me more! So please clear my questions :)

1. There is an offer of 29 Euros for 2 days in hop n hop off. Is it worth taking ?(the last trip ends 8pm) one more offer is for 4 days(40 euros) including Sienne cruise.
2. How much time is it required for a very casual visitor to see Louvre & Muse D'Orsay? What is the normal queue time in the evenings?
3. Is there an option of getting only show ticket (not even champagne, as we are non-alcoholics) for Moulin Rouge? If so ,how much?

Thanks

by dhdear

Thanks again for the 5cents answer:) Yes,at least a lot of prior information is always handy when visiting cities like Paris. We decided not to take the open tour bus, may be we will try Segway tours. (too expensive a deal it is. I am personally not interested in those shows,but because Moulin Rouge is hyped so much, we thought we will try a visit. We did not book any tickets online as we want to be as flexible as we can and roam around the city in leisure.

by telsoar

I think a tour bus is a good idea on a first day or two of the trip, to get the "lay of the land", so to speak. There are other options besides the yellow buses tho. I look forward to the Seine Cruise, but you can take that separately (do it at night!!).I often take a quick tour in new cities, Barcelona, for example.

by dhdear

We had a wonderful and easy managed trip to Paris. We did not take any tour buses nor did we have a fixed itinerary. We just had a must see list of places to visit and we were planning on that day's morning. We even watched French Open :) Roland Garros I would say is definitely a worth experience. A hint to get the evening ticket is don't wait in the queue, just go to the front near the gate and you need some previous experience to squeeze in and run when the security officer allows the entry. I know this sounds rough, but this is what we experienced. :)

Travel Tips for Paris

Taking the stairs on the Effiel Tower

by Mudfish

As most travelers do, I went to the Effiel Tower with friends. Being young and impatient, we decided to skip the long lift line, and opt for the stairs up the tower. But once you reach the 2nd story, you have to purchase an additional ticket to get to the top via the lift. By chance, on the day we visited, the ticket counter on the second story was out of service. So after a scuffle with the french workers, we were escorted down, and never made it to the top. So skip the stairs. Take the lift, even though i know this is a no brainer to most. My favorite memory of Paris is from a small cafe that me and a friends stumbled upon around lunch time. An old couple worked behind the counter and served us simple food and drinks. Speaking no french, I pulled out an English/French dictionary to try and thank the old couple to spoke almost no english. It took us nearly 30 mins, but the four of us (two americans and the two french), we both learned a little of the others language. Mostly, we all just laughed. Such a simple moment I will never forget.

Get a good look at this musical on DVD

by sourbugger

Sourbugger is not exactly a great fan of Film Musicals, but this 2001 effort "Moulin Rouge", is a geat romp with Ewan McGregor, Nicole Kidman (in every man's fantasy outfits) and even little Kylie Minogue as a green fairy.

I far as I can work out, the filming was mostly done in Australia and never got within a mile of Paris, but the bohemian lifestyle and mindset of year 1900 is wonderfully portrayed.

It must also have been worth several million in free advertising to the oweners of the Moulin Rouge itself.

The Moulin Rouge itself is still therefore living off past glories...but hey..you can always dream of those naughty days and Nicole in a basque and suspenders.

Eiffel Tower

by eho

Go up Eiffel Tower to watch the sunset.
I started lining up at 7:30pm and got up around 8:30pm. This just gave me enough time to take pictures of the city before the sun set begins. I also managed to get a 'front row' stand to see the sunset. I couldn't believe that I was actually in the Eiffel Tower watching a beautiful sunset along with tourists from all over the world!

Dirty !

by Yseut

Somehting I really HATE about Paris and parisians if that few of them clean after their dogs.
They are supposed to pay an "amende", but policemen nevers stop them.
So, be careful about where you put your foot !!!

Packing List

by SCondrey

As always, I recommend traveling light. You have to carry everything you take. See my Amsterdam page for my packing recomendations. Black, Black and Black! Shoes, clothes, sweaters, etc. Dress nicely and you will fit in well. I have a first aid kit that I carry on all of my travels. It includes sample packets of Motrin, Tylenol, Band-Aids, cough drops, Tums, etc. If you wear glasses this is a good place to keep your repair kit.

Comments