Best Western Derby Eiffel

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• saussi67's Profile Photo

Not bad overall

I arrived at the Derby Eiffel at 11:30am on 17 April, 2008, was hoping to check in early. The person at the desk ignored me for at least two minutes until he finally got around to acknowledging my presence.

I asked if I could check in early, yes not a problem, here is the key to your room around the corner through the rear door. I was hoping for a front facing room, but I got a room in the courtyard at the rear of the hotel. Not an issue in itself, the courtyard is surrounded on all sides by the hotel itself and the surrounding buildings. There were four rooms out there. I entered the room, it was dark and dingy, smelt terribly of cigarette smoke (I asked for a no smoking room). Went into the bathroom, which was bigger than the bedroom, looked recently renovated. I then shut the door and it didnt seem to seal properly. I shut the door and tried the door and it seemed locked, but it looked as though it has been forced open at some stage as all the door frame and part of the door itself was damaged. I went back to the reception desk, for which I waited yet again to be acknowledged. I asked if I could be moved as I didnt feel safe in the courtyard by myself and the door didnt look right. Sorry all the rooms were gone, everyone had checked in early that day.

So I went back again and tried the door a few times to see if it did lock and it appeared to be safe enough, but I slept the two nights with the two available chairs up against the door as an added security measure.

Now this courtyard that my room was off, was used as a smoking area, which is ok for people who smoke, but as a non smoker and the door not sealing properly I had three days of second hand smoke. Including the fact that people would gather there from 6am in the morning until 9pm at night and talk and laugh.

After a long day of wandering through Paris streets I came back to the hotel only to be interogated by the front desk lady as to where I was going and which room I was staying in.

So overall my stay at the Derby Eiffel was adequate, but my room was less than welcoming and quite pricey.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Views of the Eiffel Tower.....

I spent a few days staying in the hotel, when some Finnish friends were visiting Paris through work committments.

It was pleasant and comfortable - there were a great many young Americans in the hotel.

Unique Quality: Quiet and comfortable.

• jnyvegas's Profile Photo

Ok for me

The price was right at $90 night, the room is small, old and the walls were thin so I was expexting a noisy sleepless night. To my suprise it was very quite all night and it had a good breakfast. The lady who checked us in let us up to our room @ 10am. I think an older crowd of people was staying her so it was very quite.

Unique Quality: The only problem with our room was that my wife had a spring in her back all night and could not sleep, so we changed hotels. Not a bad place for a cheap stay if you get a good bed.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Comfort with a view of the Eiffel Tower

The Derby Eiffel was my very first hotel in Paris, in fact, my first ever experience in Europe.

I was surprised how small the rooms were and the bathroom was just functional (I'm picky about bathrooms!) After subsequent trips, I think it rated about a 5 on my scale of 1 to 10 in Paris accommodations; very clean, very basic, a nice view of the Eiffel Tower, but small and undistinguished. The location is convenient and in a real Paris neighborhood. But the neighborhood has hotels with more distinction and atmosphere.

More about Best Western Derby Eiffel

Loved The Best Western Derby Eiffel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member babe352

My Husband and I stayed at the Derby Eiffel after doing quite a bit of research on trip advisor. We were not disappointed. All of the staff were very helpful, friendly, and spoke perfect English.
We were blessed to have met the famous Michelle, and she is just so friendly and helpful and full of love. You can tell she loves her job and helping people.
The room was small as expected and emaculate, with everything we needed. Hairdryer, shampoos, q tips, nice soaps, and even shoe shine pads! We could view the Eiffel Tower from our room by looking to the right. My husband took some great shots of it as it was getting dark and then lite with all the twinkling lights. We never ate breakfast at the hotel. We went a few doors down to a bakery that had lots of goodies. It is quiet at night and that is what we were looking for We felt very safe when walking back at night. Lot's of good cafes and restarants nearby, and the Metro is a block away. The air conditioner worked good and was nice to have up on the 4th floor. We highly recommend this hotel, and would stay again if we ever get back to Paris. A "Don't miss" is a ride on the Seine at night only 8 Euro. We walked down, to the Seine and the Boats are right there.

Great stay at Derby Eiffel

by TripAdvisor Member jones35

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at Derby Eiffel that my husband had booked as a suprise for my birthday.

We were very impressed with the hotel our room was an adequate size and very clean also the bathroom quite compact but with a bath and power shower!!!

Breakfast was buffet style with choices of fruit, breads ,meats ,eggs, yoghurts etc and was enough to set you up for the day.

Michelle on reception was outstanding always smiling and happy to talk and make recommendations she booked us the Seine dinner cruise for my birthday and even arranged for me to have a cake on the cruise! As has been said before she is an asset to the hotel and always had time for a chat we were sorry to say goodbye to her.

The location of this hotel makes it ideal if you want to explore Paris which we did by foot and also by metro. The metro station is only 2 minutes from the hotel.

All in all for the money we paid we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would reccomend it to anyone.

Great Location

My group purchased a package for 3 on Travelocity from Dallas to Paris staying at the Best Western Derby Eiffel from March 8-12, 2006. We found a great deal -- basically $640 per person with flight and hotel.

The room was a typical European style room (i.e. small). The bathroom was also typically small but recently remodeled with new tile and a new pedastal sink. The bathtub was a typical European tub with a glass panel for half of the tub that rotated over the tub if you wanted to shower.

We had two twin beds and and wall mounted pull-down twin. The beds were a bit hard but still Cable TV in the room. The only English channel was BBC. Room had a small fridge that met our needs for storing wine, cheese and grapes.

The hotel is in a fantastic location just a couple of blocks away from the Ecole Militaire metro stop and several blocks away from the Eiffel Tower. There are plenty of restaurants and stores in the area. Rue Cler, which has lots of stores and restaurants is close to the metro stop.

The staff was very nice and very patient when we would stumble back to the hotel at 4:30 or 5:00 am after spending the night at the bars and clubs.

The wireless internet worked sporadically in the room but was OK in the lobby if you take your laptop. You have to purchase a subscription card for 10 euros that gives you 3 hours of internet access.

Had a Pleasant Stay

We enjoyed our stay at the Derby Eiffel.

It was in a convienent location, very close to a Metro stop. It was also pretty close to the Eiffel Tower, about a 10 minute stroll.

The room and bathroom were extremely clean, and looked to be newly decorated. We were upgraded from a double room to a triple (for no extra charge). The extra space was very nice, since the third bed folded into the wall, we had plenty of room to move around.

We skipped the breakfast, since it cost extra. There were plenty of little places to pick up an inexpensive breakfast near the hotel.

The only drawback was that the rooms were very American, and lacked charm. However, to some an American style room may be a plus.

Perfect little Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mpjc121

My partner and I stayed at the Derby Eiffel for four nights with another couple and thought it was just a wonderful hotel. It is not five star and we knew this going there so we adjusted our expectations. The rooms are a little small like most everyone on here mentioned but they were comfortable and had AC which was a blessing because temperatures were in the high 90's while we were there. The bath products are actually very good and the rooms were always spotlessly cleaned everyday. It is very close to the Eiffel Tower (maybe a 10 min walk through a lovely park) and the Metro is on the next street corner over ("Ecole Militaire" is the name of the stop if you're looking at the Metro map). Buy a 5 day "Paris Visite" Metro ticket when you get there and you will save a lot of money instead of buying individual tickets. Skip the breakfast in the hotel as it is pricey for what you get and go across the street to the cafe on the corner next to the supermarket for fresh croissants and inexpensive breakfast options. Also buy baguettes, cold meats, cheese, fruits and water from the supermarkets and small shops nearby for lunch if you want to save money. Michelle at the hotel is a wonderful source of info, speaks good English, is super friendly and has great info on tours you can take. The hotel has an internet computer in the lobby which you can pay 10 Euro for a card with an hour of access which is actually pretty cheap for hotels in Paris. The "Comptoir" cafe next to the Metro stop is a great place to go at night for deserts and drinks (they have a killer chocolate cake and ice cream desert)Overall we were thrilled at the location, price and available options in the neighborhood where this hotel is located. I would go back there in a second if I got another good deal.

Stained carpets, tired bathrooms

by TripAdvisor Member MitYon

We booked the Derby Eiffel for the 2nd part of our 4th stay in Paris following recommendations on TripAdvisor. Our previous hotel was delightful so our first impressions of the DE which consisted of a tiny room with Eiffel Tower view if you stood out on a ledge on the 6th floor and craned your neck sideways, was less than good. Reading the reviews again on our return it seems nobody else noticed the stained carpets, the damaged tiles in the bathrooms, the sad and tired bathroom fittings (less than shiny taps etc). We'd asked for a bath but noticed the room had only a shower. Michelle gave us keys to another room and told us to take our pick. The other room was much bigger and the bathroom was palatial with two wash basins and a full size bath. Fantastic. It wasn't street facing, but looked directly into apartments all surrounding an inner courtyard. We sacrificed the view for space and a bath. The room wasn't ready for us so we dumped our luggage in the wardrobe and went off for the day. On our return the room had obviously not been cleaned properly - and it soon became obvious nothing would be done about it. This made our first night particularly uncomfortable. A lightbulb in the bathroom was not working, and after a conversation with Michelle, my partner was given a lightbulb and managed to climb up on the basin area and change it himself! He managed to also fix the shower and the "toilet shower" that evening.
Next day the room was cleaned very well (except the stains on the carpets) and we became used to the non-shiny taps etc.
We belatedly decided to stay another night and moved to another room. Again, a tired bathroom, with a half size bath this time, and barely room to move in the bathroom, but the room itself was quite spacious compared to the first one we had seen. The inspection tile on the bath was wedged in with a piece of folded up card!
If you seek perfection, this is not the hotel.
With regard to staff, Michelle was as helpful as she could be, but seemed to have no power to address our problems. Other members of staff were not so welcoming but we did get them to smile when we attempted our French! Wherever you go in Paris you always get a much better reception if you at least attempt to speak French in the first instance.
However, on the plus side - the toiletries selection was very good - if this is what floats your boat.
The location is superb if you want to be in the Eiffel Tower/Trocadero/Invalides area, Metro is a step away, and quiet, safe streets at night.
Maybe our first experience was unusual, but I can't overlook it and the fact that the overall feel of the place is of a jaded, tired hotel means we won't be staying here again, and we won't be recommending it to anyone either. There are definitely better hotels in the same area.

Comments