Best Western Derby Eiffel

saussi67's Profile Photo

Not bad overall

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 13, 2008

I arrived at the Derby Eiffel at 11:30am on 17 April, 2008, was hoping to check in early. The person at the desk ignored me for at least two minutes until he finally got around to acknowledging my presence.

I asked if I could check in early, yes not a problem, here is the key to your room around the corner through the rear door. I was hoping for a front facing room, but I got a room in the courtyard at the rear of the hotel. Not an issue in itself, the courtyard is surrounded on all sides by the hotel itself and the surrounding buildings. There were four rooms out there. I entered the room, it was dark and dingy, smelt terribly of cigarette smoke (I asked for a no smoking room). Went into the bathroom, which was bigger than the bedroom, looked recently renovated. I then shut the door and it didnt seem to seal properly. I shut the door and tried the door and it seemed locked, but it looked as though it has been forced open at some stage as all the door frame and part of the door itself was damaged. I went back to the reception desk, for which I waited yet again to be acknowledged. I asked if I could be moved as I didnt feel safe in the courtyard by myself and the door didnt look right. Sorry all the rooms were gone, everyone had checked in early that day.

So I went back again and tried the door a few times to see if it did lock and it appeared to be safe enough, but I slept the two nights with the two available chairs up against the door as an added security measure.

Now this courtyard that my room was off, was used as a smoking area, which is ok for people who smoke, but as a non smoker and the door not sealing properly I had three days of second hand smoke. Including the fact that people would gather there from 6am in the morning until 9pm at night and talk and laugh.

After a long day of wandering through Paris streets I came back to the hotel only to be interogated by the front desk lady as to where I was going and which room I was staying in.

So overall my stay at the Derby Eiffel was adequate, but my room was less than welcoming and quite pricey.

gordonilla's Profile Photo

Views of the Eiffel Tower.....

by written on February 5, 2005

I spent a few days staying in the hotel, when some Finnish friends were visiting Paris through work committments.

It was pleasant and comfortable - there were a great many young Americans in the hotel.

Unique Quality: Quiet and comfortable.

jnyvegas's Profile Photo

Ok for me

by written on January 25, 2005

The price was right at $90 night, the room is small, old and the walls were thin so I was expexting a noisy sleepless night. To my suprise it was very quite all night and it had a good breakfast. The lady who checked us in let us up to our room @ 10am. I think an older crowd of people was staying her so it was very quite.

Unique Quality: The only problem with our room was that my wife had a spring in her back all night and could not sleep, so we changed hotels. Not a bad place for a cheap stay if you get a good bed.

Callavetta's Profile Photo

Comfort with a view of the Eiffel Tower

by written on October 4, 2004

The Derby Eiffel was my very first hotel in Paris, in fact, my first ever experience in Europe.

I was surprised how small the rooms were and the bathroom was just functional (I'm picky about bathrooms!) After subsequent trips, I think it rated about a 5 on my scale of 1 to 10 in Paris accommodations; very clean, very basic, a nice view of the Eiffel Tower, but small and undistinguished. The location is convenient and in a real Paris neighborhood. But the neighborhood has hotels with more distinction and atmosphere.

Nearby Best Western Derby Eiffel

• Business Services
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Paris Travel Forum

Need advice about Paris, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Paris and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Paris hotel reviews