Best Western Hotel Parc Des Expos

BEST WESTERN Parc des Expos
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Paris

Camelia Hotel entrance, Place de la nationCamelia Hotel entrance, Place de la nation

Jardin des PlantesJardin des Plantes

The windows of Sainte ChapelleThe windows of Sainte Chapelle

TrocaderoTrocadero

WE WILL NEED A CELL PHONE WHEN WE GET TO PARIS

by virginiamwaters

We will be living near the Luxenbourg Gardens and would like to buy a cell phone that works in France. Where can we buy one for just the two weeks we will be there, and how much do they cost? Thank you for your answer and time.
I am handicapped and have a wheeled walker to use, but I can't go up and down the Metro steps and would like a map of just the metropolitan bus routes for I have used the Metro in my past visits and regret I can't navigate the steps now. Thank you in advance. Merci Boucoup. Virginia Waters

by ForestqueenNYC

I can't help you with the cell phone, but here is an excellent site for the RATP. I use it often. You can download and print the bus map.

by Beausoleil

We used the closest Orange store for the cell phone. There are plenty of cell phone stores in Paris so ask someone on the hotel staff where to find the nearest one.

If you don't already have a Paris map, go to a news stand, FNAC or tabac and ask for "Paris Pratique par arrondissement," a small map booklet with a complete index of streets that also includes bus, RER and Metro maps (all separate) and a list of emergency phone numbers in Paris. It's only 5 x 7 inches so fits easily in purse or pocket . . . very useful.

Enjoy your trip.

by leanneedwards

There is an Orange store on Blvd St Michel close to Luxembourg gardens.. I walked by it everyday but now that I want to pass on the info I am not sure exactly where I think closer to Luxembourg RER stop heading toward the Seine on the Left side of the street... Hope that helps...

by leanneedwards

Sorry Right side of the street... Hope you find it ha ha...

by Beausoleil

leanne, That's the Orange store we used. Very central; very convenient . . . and very nice people who work there.

by ndong

Hello,
As far as cell phones go you can actually purchase a phone prior to your trip. There are several companies that offer this service when i went last year i used a company called "call in europe" and it worked out pretty well. Like i said there are other companies you can find by googling "cell phones in europe"
we went with them because they were the cheapest. I hope this helps and enjoy!

by Beausoleil

That's good to know Pedro. The Orange store on Blvd St Michel close to Luxembourg gardens also has English speaking personnel. They installed everything for us and showed us how to use it. (We had never used a cell phone before.)

by Beausoleil

Wow, that is really nice of them. The fellow at the store near the Luxembourg Gardens spoke English very well but it was not his native language. I suppose most young business people speak several languages in this day in age.

We'll keep your Orange store in mind. Thank you.

by ForestqueenNYC

For my sake, I wish all of Paris DIDN'T speak English, because I am trying to learn French. Everytime I open my mouth, as soon as they hear my accent, they speak back in English. So I keep talking in French, but I need practice hearing different people speak French not just those with whom I hang out.

by Beausoleil

Hi Francesca. We've run into that problem too. We just keep on in French and either they switch to French with us . . . or they speak English and we speak French. We have noticed when this happens they seem to feel comfortable helping us with our French and making suggestions. Persevere. ;^)

by Bogmom

Several parents near me rented phones which would work abroad when their teenaged children travelled with school groups. You may want to check that option, since renting a phone for two weeks will likely be less expensive than purchasing a phone.

Travel Tips for Paris

Place des Vosges - A Peaceful Spot to Rest

by tpal

It was a typical first day in Europe for us...flew all night, slept practically not at all, it's 8:00 am here but our bodies insist it's 3:00 am and...way too early. Of course, our room won't be ready until the afternoon so the best we can do is drop off our luggage, find some coffee and see what is nearby. Happily we were staying in le Marais and very close to Place des Vosges.

We had walked around the square and its immediate alleys and adjoining streets for as long as we could physically endure. Finally, we just needed to sit and rest. We (most particularly me) trudged to the center of the square, walked through the sand walkways and turned our shoes into dust. We found our way to an available and, as it turns out, ubiquitous Paris bench. While probably the most uncomfortable bench I had ever encountered, it felt perfect. Intro Photo: The young woman in the photo seemed equally satisfied to have the cast iron support in the middle of her bare back and her duffel bag in the dust.

Photo 2: At this moment, a more idyllic stop would have been difficult to imagine. With it's shady lanes lined with precisely spaced and pruned trees, many local Parisians take a break while teenagers hurry back to school.

Photo 3: At another corner of the square carefree children playing under the close supervision of their nannies. It seemed an entirely safe and comfortable place.

RATP.FR

by gandara

Public transportation works really well in Paris. No use having a car.
To find out how to go from one address to another, check www.ratp.fr
You can even download the public transports map on your handheld.

You can also check for strikes. The bus lines 82 and 84 are always a nice ride, if you want to go sight-seeing without being spotted as a tourist.

Paris Tip

by bluefelt

We sat in the sun in the park near the Louvre (which was CLOSED) and talked to people in poor French grammar. It was very relaxing after we had been backpacking all over Europe for 2 weeks straight.

Little Green Man Walking

by Rixie

Motorcycles are everywhere – seeing them parked in lines on the sidewalk, you’d think that the Hell’s Angels were in town. Where the Dutch have bicycles, Parisians have motos and velos. They sometimes drive down the sidewalk.

Les Parisiens are not big on regulations. You can almost see the Gallic shrug. Motorists park wherever they please: facing in either direction, half on the sidewalk, and on corners, sticking out into the intersection. Their motto seems to be, “If there’s no parking space there, make one of your own.”

Pedestrian signals (little red man standing still, little green man walking) exist only as loose suggestions. The little red man means “You may have to dodge cars.”

Maps!!!!!!!!!!

by Fra.da.

If you plan to rent a car to visit the area sourrounding Paris, do not forget to bring a very good route map. Signals in this area are not so good (I compare them to the ones you find in Italy) and it is easily to get lost. Then, you are never given information about how far is the destination you are about to reach.

Comments