Best Western Left Bank Saint Germain Hotel Paris

9 Rue De L'Ancienne Comedie, 6th Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75006, France

BEST WESTERN Left Bank - St Germain
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

• Location good, staff mediocre

Was just there (March 2005) for two nights with my family as a quick side trip from our longer vacation in London. Can't really recommend this place. Breakfast was good (and included in price), location was great (near Odeon metro, not far from St Michel/Notre Dame), but staff was indifferent. Check in was at 3 - we showed up at 3:30 and were told our room wasn't ready because the previous guests had requested late checkout. Got in the room around 4.

Unique Quality: What's to say - it's a small hotel in Paris. Breakfast was worth the time. Smell in room was a bit musty. All told, the place was adequate - I just didn't really care for the people. I think we paid about 180Euro per night, which included breakfast.

Directions: Steps from Odeon metro stop, right off Blvd St Germain in the Latin Quarter.

More about Best Western Left Bank Saint Germain Hotel Paris

Batobus: Is this Adventure for You?

by hquittner

Although the Batobus is usually not the fastest or cheapest way to get around Paris, it has advantages at times. If you are near its stops either where you stay or want to go, it may be as fast or faster than the Metro. If for instance, your day plan will include the Eiffel Tower and the Marais (near the Hotel de Ville) it is only 1hr ride (30 minutes downstream in reverse). But you must be familiar with the sights along the Seine. It would be a good test of your recognition powers (you can read ahead too) and if you use a camcorder you can review it when you get home.(We will have travelogs from such an adventure). The first time we used the Batobus was in June 1991 with a grandchild (aged 10) who although new to Paris was entranced. There were only 10 riders then and he could move about freely. The last time was November 2001 and although offseason, it was almost full and he would have been restricted (but still able to see and maybe compromise others). What you see on the boat is what you know. There are no guides, speakers, pamphlets, etc. The views (see travelogs) are river views. There are 4 intermediate stops from the E.T. to the Hotel. (left bank) with 10 minutes between each stop, and returning 2 intermediate stops (rt. bank) going downstream, thus 1 + 1/2 hours round trip. The boats run every half hour and a schedule can be downloaded from the web. The other risk is that travel is best on a nice day. A waterside seat on the right side is best for viewing but standing at the front or back is better for photography.

Great Hotel, Great service

by TripAdvisor Member munchkin

Just returned form 5 notes at this hotel and were thrilled. Audrey at the front desk was outstanding, helpful, knowledable, fun to talk to. The bfast staff was also a delight, and housekeeping did a great job each day. The rooms are smallish, not great for families, but perfect for two. All have character and ambience. We've been to Paris 6 times and this is the best palce we've stayed. And the location is wonderful, very lively area, filled with cafes (even Starbucks, for what thats worth) and restuarants, even Le Procope, the oldest in the city.

my favorite hotel in paris

I am pleased to recommend anyone who wants a fabulous location in a safe, interesting part of town to Left bank St. Germain. The hotel maintains locked doors for security and 24-hour desk service. Audrey was especially helpful. Every form of transportation is just outside your door - taxis, Metro, tour buses and city buses. Nice restaurants and shopping are literally steps away. St. Germain is a charming, safe area. My mother and I travelled alone and never felt insecure. Our deluxe twin room was colorful, sufficiently large and had a view on Notre Dame's church.

Worth it for the location

by TripAdvisor Member celia_alcoff

No doubt there are more luxuurious hotels in Paris but the location of the BW Left Bank can not be beat. If you are looking for the true Parisian experience- this is a great place to start. The rooms were nothing special but were clean and adequate for two people. We tried out the breakfast (included) the first morning but then realized that we had some of the best bakeries in Paris just outside our door and opted to pick up fresh, warm croissants and bring them back to our room to enjoy. We spent most evenings exploring the St. Germain neighborhood around the hotel- tons of cafes, boutiques etc. The Odeon metro is less than a block away from the hotel and will allow you easy access to the rest of the city.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member janiceg

The great things about this hotel: location and its charm. Plus they were running a promotion in February that made it affordable. Breakfast is handy and the service forthcoming. I did get some bad information from the front desk, however. I was told most every shop would be closed on Sunday, both in our area and on the Champs Elysees. I was glad I stuck with my plan for the day, however, as a multitude of shops were open in both locations, and some as late as 7:30PM.
Also, the management sold me on a shuttle to the airport for our 1:15 PM flight, leaving the hotel at 9:45 AM. I ended up in a van (granted I came downstairs at 9:49 AM) that was supposed to be making another pickup some distance away at 9:45 AM, which also carried an irate gentleman needing to make an 11:30 AM flight and a nervous couple bound for a 12:30 PM flight. Why were we all in one shuttle? Trying to package the whole day's departures in one van created incredible anxiety for everyone. I was 3 and one-half hours early for my flight and found myself the brunt of everyone's anger because they feared being late for their's. I would sooner take a cab for about the same price (the shuttle was 36 euros for two, plus I probably over-tipped at 6 euros) or, to do again, I'd drag my suitcases to the train station rather than suffer that kind of anxiety on an otherwise perfect trip to Paris.

stayed for four nights in Feb and will definitely stay again

by TripAdvisor Member MartinMcG

excellent value for money hotel in a great location, we stayed for four nights in february and found the room clean and of a decent size and the staff friendly. Perfect location for exploring Paris right beside some excellent restuarants. Will be coming back to Paris in the future and will definitely stay here again

our favorite in paris

We have just returned from 20 days at the hotel and it is now our favorite in Paris. It is most attractive, the staff is most helpful, professional and, for the most part, fluent in English. The rooms are most attractively furnished. The lighting in the bedroom was quite dim (we are both readers) and I requested a floor lamp and they quickly complied. That made a huge difference in our enjoyment of the room. Breakfast was very adequate and, again, the staff most accomodating and pleasant (as were the chambermaids). The location is superb and the metro station is 1/2 block away. Wonderful shops, bakeries, bistros all in the immediate neighborhood.

We are happily recommending it to our friends and look forward to a return visit.

Fantastic experience

It was a fantastic experience! For someone who was travelling alone, the staff made me feel at home and part of their family. They were very accommodating and made excellent recommendations on restaurants and nightlife activities. The breakfast area was cozy and a great place to interact with a blend of locals and other travelers. I met a lot of friendly people at this hotel and would strongly recommend it to anyone who's travelling from abroad.

i loved it

This hotel is located in a very good area of the city. It is within easy walking distance from Rue de Renne, St Sulpice, and the beautiful Luxembourg Palace and gardens. It's also within medium walking distance to the Louvre, the Latin Quarter, and Notre Dame. The staff was exceptional and all spoke English, as well as Spanish. The complimentary breakfast buffet rivals that of any hotel, and I've stayed in a few. If you're looking for a big expensive hotel, this is not for you. If you're looking for a great stay in a nice hotel with a wonderful, knowlegeable staff that won't break you, I recommend this hotel without hesitation. Great stay!

Hotel Westin Paris, Marriott, or Pullman Eiffel Tour

by SusanVC

I have been searching and researching the 1100 hotels in Paris for the past two days. I've finally narrowed it down to three hotels:

The Hotel Westin Paris
The Marriott
The Pullman Eiffel Tour Hotel

Any suggestions? I actually pulled the Hotel Westin Paris hotel from a VT members Paris page and I am leaning towards that one. I can earn miles/points there, it's seems safe, the veiws are spectacular, the rooms are big, it has lots of history (wow!), and the Louvre is close by. The only drawback is the cost as it is a touch over my budget. However, we are only staying for one night and are creating a memory of Paris that will be with us forever!?

Thanks in advance.

by davidmg

Any one of these properties is luxurious. They are all "safe", in that I wouldn't in the least be concerned about safety issues. And, since it is only one night, I would not over-think this decision. Choose one and enjoy yourself. Actually, you will spend very little time in the room anyway.

by GrumpyDiver

I haven't been to any of the hotels you mention in Paris, but have travelled extensively and stayed in many of the major chains.

The Westin's are always at least a step or so above the the Marriotts I've stayed in.

My only thought would be that you will be should be spending most of your time out and about in Paris, not staying in a hotel room. Perhaps that would help you decide...

By the way, I just got back from a week in Paris yesterday. Images and thoughts are on my Paris page:

by nomad7890

I am a Starwood member - but when I stayed in Paris last December I selected the Best Western Left Bank-St. Germain. It's an older hotel with an excellent location. I am a woman traveling alone and was very safe. Was great to walk around at night in the different neighborhoods. The Louvre was fairly close. You can get the address and map it at the Best Western site bestwestern.com. Yup, I've stayed at some BW which I did not care for, this one was good for the price and location, clean, and did not feel like a chain.

by SusanVC

Thanks again to all of you.

If I'm not mistaken I do believe that I got the idea from your website Pedmar. I think I am going to bite the bullet and book it as it has everything that I want except free WIFI but I probably won't have time for posting when in Paris. I hope not anyway. It would help to plan stuff but that's okay.

Comments