Best Western Opera Grands Boulevards

Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 13% lower than similarly priced 3.5 star hotels

More about Paris

My Wife in front of the restaurant (January 2011)My Wife in front of the restaurant (January 2011)

The Pompidou CenterThe Pompidou Center

Rue des Ursins with no. 1 on the right.Rue des Ursins with no. 1 on the right.

One of the outdoor showsOne of the outdoor shows

Paris for New Years

by Nicki2010

Hi All,

We are looking at coming to Paris for 3-4 days around New Years. I have been to Paris a few times before and we want to go to Art Galleries during the day. Does any one know what is open or closed during this time? Mainly I want to find out about New Year Eve, my husband and I are both young, do you have any ideas of places to go.

Thanks

Re: Paris for New Years

by Dabs

I've been to Paris twice over New Year's Eve and I will tell you where you shouldn't go, the Champs Elysses at midnight! That is unless you like enormous crowds of drunk people, broken bottles and some really crappy fireworks. And avoid the central metro stations around midnight, we were jammed onto a train with a million other people on the way over and on the way back I was pretty sure we were going to be trampled to death in the metro station trying to get on a train.

Like anywhere else in the world, the restaurants jack up their prices on New Year's Eve so whatever you do expect to pay a lot.

Most places like museums were open on New Year's Eve day but some of them closed a little early, you could check the websites of the ones you are interested in when it gets a little closer. The last time we were there transport (metro, RER) was free for at least part of New Year's Day, check into that before buying your transit passes. We ended up with some extra tickets from our carnet (10 metro tickets bought in a bundle) so we gave them to someone at the airport.

Travel Tips for Paris

Le joie de vivre

by diemusikerin

Paris has a most unusual atmosphere. It's lively, but controlled. Fun and exiting, yet quiet and oh so European. You feel it when you walk around the streets of Paris. It's different, yet it's not. It's so hard to explain. Beauty and history are all around you. You see lots of flowers, statues, gold decor throughout the city. It's a city of beauty. To narrow down one thing about Paris would be difficult. The Eiffel Tower, the Musee D'Orsay, the Champs-Elysees, the Louvre, Monmartre, Sacre-Coeur, the bakeries, restaurants, the Seine - each has it's own special quality. I think the thing is: it's Paris. But if I was to choose, I was say Monmartre. It's the most interesting and typically "French" area in Paris. It includes the Sacre-Coeur church on the top of the area and has the best view of Paris (better than the Eiffel Tower because it's almost too high). It's pretty breathtaking. The church is absolutely gorgeous inside as well. But the coolest part is all the cafes and the square were all the painters paint and try to sell their wares. It's a pretty romantic spot. A nice place for a meal - great breads and pastries - see the sights and just soak up the Parisian atmosphere. My fondest memory of Paris was when I went out to this beautiful garden while my family was taking a nap. I walked out of our hotel and across the street was this old palace - the Palais Royal. The grounds were gorgeous. In the courtyard there were flowers, a fountain, and chairs around so you could sit. I brought my book and sat there reading in the lovely Spring weather. It was so relaxing. Watching the people go by, the rush of the water, the birds, everything was beautiful. I will never forget that moment. I could see how this could be a romantic place to be as well. There are little cafes in the arcade surrounding the courtyard so perhaps a turnabout the garden with the sweetheart and then some coffee and dessert would be the perfect cap to the day.

Jardin du Palais Royal

by extrajoce

The jardin du Palais Royal is often overlooked by tourists as it is between the busy Opera (itself not far from the big department stores) and the musee du Louvre. It is a delightful and peaceful garden, which I find very typical of the Parisian elitism. The Ministry of Culture has a view on the famous colonnes de Buren.
Overall, it has a classic architecture, but I love the arcades, old shops, benches, gardens, and the quiet in the heart of the city.
Metro Palais Royal - Louvre, or Pyramides and 200m walk.

Tour Eiffel - i used to...

by rhiannon1968

Tour Eiffel - i used to consider it a tourist-trap, and to some extent I still do. Last time in Paris I was forced to ride the elevator to the top... well, it was night and we really had suberb views over Paris. Thinking back, it was a good idea, though I am not sure I would have enjoyed it during daylight.

Speak French!

by bvermesi

French are an interesting and helpful people, but DO try to speak some French if you go to Paris. Even though most of them understand English, they must be as embarrased to speak it, as you may be to speak French. And if you cannot communicate in their language, try to go with someone who can :-)

Packing for Paris

by Brehone

I take one airline approved rolling suitcase (that fits in the overhead compartments) and a duffle bag packed in side for any souvenirs I might bring home! For two weeks of travel I take 3 skirts and 2 pairs of pants. I take 5 T-shirts and 3 light sweaters to layer in case it is cold. I also take one black dress for dinners that may not be casual. The most important things I take are two pairs of good walking shoes. One I wear on the plane and one I pack in my suitcase. Bandaids in case of blisters! (I tend to walk a lot when I travel so this frequently is a need of mine) Digital Camera-then you don't have to worry about film and can delete and retake pictures along your trip. Binnoculars for the cathedrals and the Eiffel Tower.

Comments