Best Western Premier Opera Richepanse Paris

14 rue du Chevalier de Saint-Georges, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France

BEST WESTERN Premier Opera Richepanse
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Location and Comfort

Our home for a week in Paris was booked as part of an air/hotel package and was an excellent choice for first-timers. The location couldn't have been better: 3 blocks from the Roissybus dropoff; 1 block from the Madeleine metro station; and 2 blocks from Place de la Concorde and the Tuileries. We arrived before check-in on a sunny Saturday morning and warmly welcomed with a place to store our bags and offer to freshen up in the hotel's public washrooms. We were also given maps and a nice orientation of area attractions and services, such as ATMs.

Our standard double, while not exactly spacious, was not at all cramped (for 2) and entirely comfortable with a French balcony, coffee/tea service, flat screen TV, safe, reading lights and air-conditioning, etc. It was also perfectly clean and quiet, although there was some noise from the street in late night/early morning - nothing to complain about. You may also experience some rumble from the metro if staying on lowest floors but we barely noticed it.

This is a nicely decorated, moderate-sized, 4-star with no restaurant or bar but it does have a breakfast room that we didn't use as we were usually up and out before it opened, and the cost (not included in the room rate) was pretty high. No matter; there were pâtisseries in neighborhood and a Starbucks just down the street for grabbing that walkabout cuppa joe.

The location/amenities puts it above budget category but depending on time of year, you can land some good rates booking special offers directly through the hotel's website. The desk staff here are wonderful: friendly, helpful, professional and attentive in every way. Very special thanks to Anne, whose kindness and smiling face made our stay just that much more delightful!

As it looks like rates swing according to season and booking method, I'm not including a price: see the website for current offers and availability.

Unique Quality: Location, cleanliness, staff, nice range of amenities. They list high-speed internet access in the rooms (we didn't use) so could be a good hotel for business travelers.

More about Paris

musee d'arte  modernemusee d'arte moderne

Central nave of St Germain des Près, Nov 2010Central nave of St Germain des Près, Nov 2010

AgenAgen

La Conciergerie.La Conciergerie.

Strikes and Such

by MapleMoose

http://www.easytravelreport.com/ tells me that there seems to be periodic strikes by air traffic controllers with one happening a couple of days ago. They say expect more in September. Now we know Europe can be a hotbed for strikes but what I am wondering from the foregoing is, can one expect things may be a bit calmer in August, at least in France because of holiday season? Wondering also about the train labour situation as we have a Thalys train booked to Holland.

by Roadquill

Whenever I travel to France (and Italy for that matter) I always plan on giving myself time in event of strikes, e.g. 4 hour layovers rather than 1 1/2. There are usually delays, but rarely complete stoppages.

by Waoife

Unfortunately strikes by public workers are quite frequent in France. I normally go there at least once a year between June and September and have been impacted by strikes several times over the years.

On the plus side, however, the strikes are normally well publicized and tend to have some sort of pattern eg the same day every week. Also, it's very rare for the strikes to take place on a Saturday or Sunday as presumably the impact of a strike on a weekday is much higher.

As already advised, I'd check news sources regularly for the latest information.

by cubsur

I am in France now. Yesterday's strike by air traffic controllers closed several small sirports completely and reduced traffic by 50% at several others including Bordeaux and Paris (Orly).

Apparently they are on strike to preserve their 32 hour working week, among other things.

Stikes on the railways, especially in the south, are frequent and ongoing.

Yes, the only thing you can do is to watch news reports and check websites of airlines and railways. Although the dates of the strikes may be announced in France it is quite hard to get the information in advance from non-French sources.

Travel Tips for Paris

Too Much Walking!

by jengresser

Paris on foot is lovely, but too much walking from one desnation to the other...the best thing...the craperies....have to have one with chocolate and bananas in front of the Eifel tower...and trust me...go up on the stairs and down on the elevator..otherwise you get really dizzy! Getting lost! We stayed in the Ibis, next to the airport...So, we had to take the train into the city, the catch the Metro to make it through town, and anything outside the city, for instance Versailles, you have to take the Bus! Buy a 2 or three day pass and study the maps! But the French, no matter what you've heard are amazingly nice!!! Even if they couldn't speak English, they tried to help us find are way around.

Take your time

by tini58de

Take your time to see all the beautiful sights:
the Eiffel Tower as well as the Triumph Arc, Montmartre as well as the Notre Dame - but also enjoy a cup of coffee in one of those street cafes, strolling around the smaller streets and just get the feeling of this fabulous city!!!
. Being able to have this time with my Dad!

Mobbing Mona Lisa

by bakpakchik

The world's most famous smile, most famous strokes of paint on canvas. The Mona Lisa. Never expect too much of anything ... you will always be disappointed. Mona Lisa to me is the most over-rated painting in the whole world. I grew up with art teachers oohing-aahing over it. At the Louvre, i managed to get a close look. I looked and I looked and waited for the brillaince to dawn on me. It never did. I was more fixated by the mob around it than with the reason behind the mob. The Mona Lisa is for all the people you see in this picture ... people with shorts and sandals and bakpaks and siunglasses on top of their heads. All trying to get a look at what their guidebook says they cant leave Paris without looking at. I preferred Haystacks by Van Gogh in Amsterdam. It wasnt mobbed, and certainly wasn't preceeded by a lifetime of conditioning. Hence, it didnt disappoint.

Fête de la Musique

by iamjacksgoat

My first trip to Paris happened to fall upon the Fête de la Musique, an eventful music festival that happens every June 21st. Music is everywhere you go! Free concerts are also everywhere. Walking down the Champ de Mars at night, there was a free concert going on. My friends and I encountered a bunch of French men on roller skates. When they saw us, they screamed, "I LOVE America!!!" To sum it up, it is crazy, chaotic fun. However, it gets annoying when you try to get some sleep!

The Ultimate Travel Companion!

by Phalaenopsis03

Before I go on any trip, I always make sure to purchase a travel guidebook, especially from the National Geographic Traveler series. They not only provide me with important information and advice, but the illustrations contained in their books are simply beautiful.

Comments