2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Pharaoh cafePharaoh cafe

The flying buttress of Notre DameThe flying buttress of Notre Dame

View of the city from Level 1View of the city from Level 1

at the base of Eiffelat the base of Eiffel

Where to watch England v Algeria in Paris?

by Jimmyp41

Hello,

I hope you can help me please.

I will be in Paris on the 18 June, I am English and I would like to watch the England v Algeria world cup match.

Can you recommend a good place to watch the match please?

After looking on the web I've found O'Sullivans and The Frog & Rosbif, both near Metro stop Châtelet. They look alright, however your opinions of them will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

by fossettes

The first place that came to my mind was say The Moose - it's a Canadian sports bar in the 6th. then I went to their website to get the address for youi and saw this:

World Cup in 3D - The Moose is showing all 25 games of the world cup in 3D. The bar will provide glasses, and of course, food and drinks. We hope to see you there.

WOW! Who knew!? Hope it works out for you...

by fossettes

sorry for the typos - and I forgot to give you the address:

The Moose 16 rue des 4 VentsParis 75006

but you have probably already gone to the website!

by cubsur

Last time I was in the Frog and Rosbif Les Halles they were showing the football from English TV.

Take a look here

Jim

Travel Tips for Paris

Tips for Versailles

by wildstrawberries

1) If you didn't manage to wake up early for Versailles (like arriving there at 9am), you're better off going there in the afternoon. We heard that crowds there are unbelievable between 11 and 2.

Instead we went to the top of Eiffel tower and had a great morning there before taking the RER from Champ de Mars Tour Eiffel direct to Versailles. It worked very well.

The crowd has eased and we paid less for entrance to the State Apartments, around 5.30 instead of 8 EUR. (after 3.30pm)

2) There is, upon exiting the Versailles Station, a McDonalds restaurant with a great indoor playground.

You could let your kid play there first before going to the palace. Thereafter my daughter has no more energy to protest 'another' castle tour(lol).

3) Read my tip on buying tickets to and from Versailles if you have a Carte Orange.

Impressions of Impressionists

by fishandchips

The Orsay is possibly my favourite gallery in France with the Picasso a close 2nd. I really love the art here and the building layout that has everything from huge spaces to intimate rooms depending on what is being displayed.

Being an old train station the Orsay has its own querky appeal when standing on the level 5 viewing platform. You can imagine the trains coming through here though they haven't been about for many years.

The clock in the level 5 cafe is a great centrepiece (though you're looking at the back of it) and the small courtyard to the side of this has good views down the Seine.

Rose Windows

by Sharrie

Marvel at the beauty of the only rose windows allowed to retain their original colors. Louis XV declared stained glass outmoded & replaced most of the rose windows with clear glass in 1756.

The western rose window (c1230) shows the Virgin at its center. Surrounding her are kings, virtues & vices, month of the year & signs of the zodiac.

The northern rose window (c1250) also shows the Virgin at its center. Surrounding her are figures & scenes from the Old Testament.

The southern rose window (c1270) shows Christ surrounded by apostles & martyrs.

Oooh Monsieur!!

by orlikins

Well ooh la la!

I must say, for a single lady, Paris can be absolutely fantastic for the old self-esteem! No matter how awful and monstrous you think you look in comparison to the chic Parisiennes, some guy will ****ALWAYS**** try to chat you up! :-)

One day, I got chatted up 3 times in town. Of course it would be the one day I got sunburnt, had no make--up on, looked like crap with messy hair. :)

Then there was that 60 year old guy who offered me a fine view of the city from the back of his car.

At the same time, like men anywhere, they soon get the message if you're not interested in them. If you do not welcome this kind of attention, then be firm, avoid eye contact and don't look touristy (i.e. looking at maps, speaking a different language in public).

Basically you literally cannot even sit down on a park bench in the city centre without some randy romeo trying it on.

I enjoyed some of the attention, I cannot deny it, but there were other times when I wished they would just go away and "laisse-moi tranquille" :)

Rennies, s'il vous plait?

by Zanee

I never like to be caught without my regular types of medication when abroad - you may not be able to get the particular brand you use and as medicines are all behind the counter you may not like to try explaining ! However, my boyfriend got indigestion from a particularly heavy galette, and the guy who served us in the Pharmacy at Les halles spoke perfect English (we had our request prepared - just in case! ) and they were cheaper than in the U.K . I had to be dragged away from the toiletries - I could quite happily have spent all my money on the beautifully wrapped goodies - they sure know how to make a 10 euro soap look alluring!

Comments