Carofftel Gobelins

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Gobelins

I had arrived in Paris one day before my girlfriend in Dec 2004 so I needed a place to stay for the night. Hotel Carofftel Gobelins was just around the corner from the hotel we had booked for the rest of our visit, Hotel de L'Esperance, it was reasonably good value (61 Euro for a single) and it was in a great location, very near Rue Mouffetard and the Latin Quarter. Best of all, if you stay here you get vouchers for a free kir with every meal at nearby Au Bon Coin, (see my restaurant tips), a really nice, great-value restaurant which we would never have found otherwise.

More about Carofftel Gobelins

Wonderful stay at the Carofftel Gobelins

by TripAdvisor Member reve23

My husband and I just returned from France last week. We spent 6 nights at the Carofftel Gobelins (5 nights + 1 night on our way back from the Riviera). We loved this hotel and would definitely stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend it to other travelers. Briefly, here are some of the things we appreciated about the Carofftel:

It’s located in a nice, non-touristy neighborhood (the 5th) but not far from the heart of town. It is extremely clean and well-managed. We had booked a double room with a shower for 79 euros a night. What great value for money! We spent 5 nights in a room on the first floor (2nd floor US) and 1 night before leaving for the US on the 5th floor. Both rooms were on the street-side. The rooms are very bright and have a large window. With the windows shut you can hardly hear any noise from the street. We left the windows open at night but the noise from the street (which is very busy even late at night) did not bother us much. The bathroom is of a good size has a window too. The shower is on the small side…about the size of a phone booth and there isn’t much room to move around inside. That is probably the only uncomplimentary thing I can say about this hotel. But they also have rooms with baths. The owner Mme. Caroff is very helpful if you have any questions about transportation, places to eat, etc. If you are catching an evening train, the hotel will let you leave your bags there for the day after you check out in the morning.

The hotel is very well connected by bus and metro. The metro station Les Gobelins is on Line 7. The bus stops are right across from the hotel. Bus 47 will take you to Notre-Dame. The 27 stops right outside the Louvre and goes on to the St. Lazare station. Take the 91 for the Gare d’Austerlitz, which is not too far away, to take the RER C going to Versailles. In the other direction, the 91 will also take you to Port-Royal where you can take the RER B going to the Aéroport Charles de Gaulle.

The hotel is a 2-mn walk to Rue Mouffetard with the open air market, stores and restaurants. There are about 3 boulangeries near the hotel which open very early. Instead of having the 7 euro hotel breakfast, we would walk over to the Café St. Médard near Rue Mouffetard for a café au lait and then pick up breakfast from the bakery. Try 'Le Boulanger du Monge' which is at the intersection of Rue Monge and Avenue des Gobelins.

In an expensive city like Paris, we thought this hotel was a very good choice for budget-conscious travelers.

Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member katosaurus

We stayed at the Carofftel Gobelins from 4 - 8 August 2006.

We paid 83 Euro/night for a large room (which could accomodate up to 4 people, there were only 2 of us) with private bathroom and TV.

Being our first trip to Paris we found this hotel conveniently located in Les Gobelins, very close to the Metro station of the same name. There were restaurants, supermarkets, post office, and a self service laundry all within walking distance.

The owner was very helpful and pleasant.

Would stay here again.

Clean, quiet, convenient

We also had a wonderful experience at the Carofftel. Our triple room was a very good size, bigger than we expected, cheerful, and meticulously cleaned daily. Comfortable beds, too. The bathroom was fairly large and modern. The location was perfect--we could easily hop on the bus or metro, and walking was a pleasure. The Rue Mouffetard Market made us feel as if we were in a small town, and we loved going there for a pastry or just to wander around. We loved Au Petit Bistro (89 rue Mouffetard) for dinner, going 4 times in our week there! Also highly recommend the Creperie Moulin on the Rue Fer a Moulin nearby. They are the genuine thing--don't bother ordering crepes in the cafes, where they're thick and soggy. We found that breakfast in the Carofftel was a huge bargain, despite the high seeming price. You get much more for your Euros--yoghurt, ham, cheese, fruit, juice,in addition to plenty of tea, coffee, or hot chocolate and baguettes or croissants. Staff all very friendly and helpful.

Great Value Two-Star Hotel

My wife and I stayed 6 nights at this hotel in May, 2006. We had read the great reviews and we expected a lot. We were not disappointed. The location is excellent, about a half block from the Les Gobelins Metro. Everything in the hotel is mini-sized: the entry foyer, the elevator, the bathrooms, and especially, the shower which was 24"x30" and was difficult to turn around in. In fact, the hotel's facing to the street is only a double door wide, sandwiched between 2 restaurants (one of which is very good, reasonably-priced Chinese). The hotel does not offer Internet access, which makes it difficult to send e-mail; Internet cafes are a thing of the past, at least in Paris. There is cable TV, but except for an occasional sports event, there is no English language channel. Trumping these negatives are 2 major pluses: the hotel is impeccably clean and would put many US motels to shame. And perhaps most importantly, the rates are extremely reasonable. In fact, a one-star hotel around the corner charged as much as the Carofftel. Incidentally, the hotel has a very user-friendly web site and reservations can easily be made over the Internet. As other reviewers have said, do ask for a room facing the street. The view out the window is pure Paris residential!

The staff, especially the often-mentioned Christine, speaks good English and is quite accommodating. We did not partake of the 7.50 euro breakfast offered by the hotel. There is a very good mini-mart next to the McDonalds around the corner. In the other direction (north), the Rue Mouffetard market is real "local" collection of shops and food stands. On balance, we're giving the hotel 4 out of 5 stars. The lack of Internet was an issue for us; it might not be for someone else. That factor aside, we thought the hotel was great and would recommend it as an excellent value in a very good central Paris location

An adequate hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ChildOfTheKing

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in June 2006 while we crammed in a visit to Paris on our way home from Greece. We booked through Expedia and paid 80 Euro per night.

The hotel is an older style one with a bit of character that you don't get in a hotel chain. You don't get a credit card-style room key, but rather a real key that locks the deadbolt to your room. The front desk required us to leave the room key while we went out and about for the day which I thought was a little odd, but apparently they just didn't want us to accidentally lose it. What if someone else had come in after a shift change and said they were us?! I don't remember having to show our passports to get our room key when we returned.

There is a tiny dining room (and I mean tiny) just beside the front desk, but we never used it. Being close to the Mouffetard market and an incredible bakery (a couple doors down from the Starbuck's), we had too many eating options than to want to eat right at the hotel.

We had a room on the fourth floor that did not face the street (Rue Gobelins) so we did not have any issues with noise. The elevator is small and very slow moving, but this is an older and small hotel after all. It eventually gets you to your floor.

The room itself was very small, but we were basically only there to sleep so it didn't matter. The double bed (which is the size we sleep on at home) was fine - not great but not bad either. The bathroom had a smallish tub with a shower and it was adequate. The entire hotel was clean which was our only real concern. There is no air conditioning but they did provide us with a fan. Fortunately it wasn't unbearably hot when we were there. The tv in the room was a 12" colour tv with a remote, which was okay. Again we were hardly ever at the hotel so I didn't mind it.

All in all we got what we wanted at Hotel Carofftel - a clean place to sleep for a small amount of money.

by TripAdvisor Member lucy1000

I came here with my husband for a few days in May. I liked it and found it to be a very good value. I searched extensively on tripadvisor and many other websites and could not find many hotels in this price range with good reviews.

As the type of traveller who likes to go around all day -- morning to night -- exploring, and wandering, and walking around the city ... I thought this was a very nice place to lay my head at night. We stayed in the twin bedded room with bath -- (one full or queen size bed with a twin bed). The room was pretty large. Ample room for both of our large suitcases, and we used the twin bed as "storage". The room (and hotel) was very clean and well-kept. Bed was comfy. Bathroom was large enough, and the tub was deep and good for soaking at the end of a long day. For me, the bath was worth the extra 10 euros. Location was okay, but not perfect. Down the street, (if you're facing the hotel -- a block to the right, past the fountain), there's the Mouffetard Market in the mornings where there are many cute cafes, fruit stands, and interesting shops. It'd be a shame to miss this if you stay at this hotel. Hotel is near to transportation -- very very convenient bus lines across the street and a metro stop also. (The metro is NOT one of the main lines, so you have to learn how to transfer.) Most people wouldn't consider it walking distance to any of the major places of interest, but if you learn how to use the bus / train systems, it's not too much of a problem. We really enjoyed walking around Rue Monge, and just looking around the neighborhood surrounding the hotel. Very good bakeries and decent restaurants nearby too. (La Forge seemed to be pretty popular for the locals.) Starbucks was nearby, which was good for accessing a good ole cup of "American" coffee, instead of espresso or cappuccino. Coffee with a chocolate croissant (from the bakery across the street) were a perfect breakfast. Hotel has an elevator which could fit me and my husband with both of our big bags.

The negatives -- not too many. No international TV. Didn't seem like a big deal until we got tired of trying to speak French and just wanted some English programming for the end of the day. Not near to the big sites, requiring much use of public transportation. My husband had knee problems, and so it was hard for him to go up and down the metro stairs multiple times a day. If possible, try to avoid the large metro stations (e.g., Chatelet), because these require longer transfer walks. The rooms were not fancy by any means -- and so if nice furniture / decoration is important, then this isn't the place fo you. Interestingly, you had to leave the keys at the front of the hotel every time you left your room and the keys would just hang on the wall. Mostly, the keys were watched over, but a few times, I went to the desk and nobody was keeping them secure. We did not have any problems with security, luckily, and I haven't seen any complaints on the internet either. I think many other hotels in Paris are like this.

All in all, I do recommend this hotel. Mostly for the value and cleanliness. It was comfortable and probably had larger rooms than other similarly priced hotels. The hostess Christine was polite and answered our questions in terms of how to get where, but did not seem to extend past this. (I was a bit disappointed in this aspect, but many other reviewes seemed to have good experiences with her.)

If you're a first-timer and staying in Paris for only a few days, I would probably recommend choosing the hotel based on location. If you're willing to fight it out a bit with transportation and want to save some money, then I think this hotel is very good.

Ok Hotel, but very small uncomfortable beds

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in April. We were looking for an inexpensive hotel in the 5th district. I studied in Paris some years ago and I just love this particular area of the city so I was quite keen on finding a hotel in this area for our visit.

It is a great location. The hotel was clean. Very good price for the room. Really inexpensive. The room itself was a decent size. However, the furniture, including the double bed seemed like it was "miniature size" if that makes any sense. My husband is about 179 cm (6'0) and I am about 175 cm (5'9) and it seemed as though our feet were hanging off the end of the bed. The bed in and of itself seemed like it was only about 140cm wide which seems very small for a double bed at a hotel. At first I thought that they had given us a single room by mistake due to the size of the bed and not the size of the room. Besides being small, the bed was extremely uncomfortable and I found it really hard to get any good sleep (which ended up making me cranky.) :-(

The owner of the hotel was not as pleasant as everyone on this site claims that she is. We asked her to help us check on when a particular bus we needed to catch to the airport would be leaving and she just seemed annoyed.

As far as the breakfast was concerned, I would recommend skipping it and going to one of the many cafes in the area. It just wasnt worth the price for what you got. There were croissants, lots of white bread, jam, yogurt, cereal, juice, coffee, water. I would have just preferred to have to a cafe and had a warm breakfast. I am not into eating croissants for breakfast. That isn't breakfast to me, but to others this type of breakfast may be fine and totally what you are looking for. It is all a matter of what you like. I just want to point out about the possibility of being able to go to a nearby cafe (of which there are many) for breakfast if you like warmer food or something else other than what is listed above. It is optional at the hotels in paris whether you take breakfast there or not meaning that you usually pay extra for it. So you can opt out and spend your money at a cafe instead.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again because of the bed. It was just really uncomfortable. We stayed in a room on the 1st floor (that is the 2nd floor -if you are an American reading this) and maybe it was just a bad bed and maybe other beds in the hotel are comfortable. I would have paid more to stay somewhere else and have been able to get a proper nite's rest.

Otherwise, if you are a couple of inches shorter than we are and don't mind an uncomfortable bed, it is a great location and great price!

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member CA4Travelers

Our family of 4 stayed at this hotel on our last trip leg in Paris in early July. We'd stayed in the St. Germain area two weeks earlier on arrival in Paris, which is more conveniently located within walking distance to many of the major attractions (Louvre, Notre Dame etc).

We stayed in Room 22 which faces the street with floor to ceiling French doors with a small geranium festooned balcony. Room was plain yet clean, spacious enough, with significant street noise at night. We wore ear plugs and closed the french doors, using the portable room fan. The staff was helpful and accommodating.....good value. We opted for the breakfast because it was convenient but you might do better for the price in a nearby cafe or boulangerie. We need our coffee.....
Different crowd here in this district.....lots of university students, more diverse and with a relaxed atmosphere. We enjoyed the nearby Rue Mouffetard with its cafes and market stalls filled with quality fruits and vegetables, wines, fish, etc. Metro station Les Gobelins is a block away and easy to use.

Not a bad place to be when departing Paris by plane (CDG). The RER station (Pont Royal) that serves the airport (both terminals) is a 15 minute walk away and is easy to negotiate as compared to the larger stations that serve multiple train lines. There's even a street elevator that serves the station.....

Good hotel for a bargain price

by TripAdvisor Member lawgrrl

We stayed in this hotel for four nights in September and it was very pleasant. There is quite a bit of street noise but we got a fan and closed the doors and it wasn't too bad even though the weather was really hot in Paris during our stay. It was very clean and it was great to have a bathroom en suite. The shower was very small and required a slow and delicate shower but no worries otherwise. It's convenient to the subway, near the Mouffetard market and tons of restaurants. We'd stay there again.

Any fire or gas explotion in a Quartier Latin hotel yesterday?

by david_bxl

I am asking this because the phone, fax and e-mails of CAROFFTEL (Av. des Gobelins) are not working anymore, NO ONE picks up the phone, morning, afternoon or evening. Anyone on the street to confirm if that hotel is still there.

Many thanks for any information !

Cheers, David

RE: Any fire or gas explotion in a Quartier Latin hotel yesterday?

by mariev

There is absolutely nothing in the local news and such a thing would have been mentionned

by CALSF

August is the annual vacation month. Maybe the hotel is either short staffed or closed.

RE: Any fire or gas explotion in a Quartier Latin hotel yesterday?

by Beausoleil

I pulled up the following from their web site. I assume you have the correct information? Have you tried to FAX them? That might work because they could reply at their leisure rather than ignoring a phone because they were with a customer.

Hotel Carofftel Gobelins
18 avenue des Gobelins
75005 PARIS
Tel : 33(0)1 42 17 47 47
Fax : 33(0)1 45 35 00 57
E-mail : hotcarof@wanadoo.fr

by david_bxl

After more than 36 hours, I've got an e-mail from a kind member of the staff who took the time to writte me back during her holidays. Sometimes we don't see the obvious, it's August. CALSF is right, the hotel is on holidays and it seems someone forgot to put the fax on automatic.

I was assured my reservation will be kept till they are back in town.

Thanks, yeah, I double check the numbers and I've even tried other Paris numbers just to make sure my Skype (2 cent/minute to all EU, great, isn't it?) was working properly.

by CALSF

At least we know for sure the hotel did not suffer any fire or gas explosion damages! :)

Yes, I feel your concern as I've had hotels not email me after I've sent my c/c information.

Bon voyage!