Caron de Beaumarchais

Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais
Hotels.com Travelocity Venere.com

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Step Back to 18th Century

We stayed for 4 nights during Easter week. Since we were on a long trip and this hotel is already well out of the 'budget' category, I booked their least expensive room, but was surprised to find that the description on their website as to "Courtyard" room, actually should have read, "Air Shaft"!! and a very small one at that, which meant that the only window, which opened onto it only gave a view of a nearby concrete wall and some air. Therefore, we felt a little claustrophobic when in the room, as it also was the usual tiny, can-hardly-turn-around-in space.
    Otherwise, the stay was good; of course the staff very personable and helpful. The room was equipped with WiFI and TV with CNN International channel; hairdryer provided in bathroom and ours had a tub/shower.
    The breakfast, as evidently at many hotels, is also a bit expensive, but for 12.50Euros/pp it was quite full, including coffee, tea or chocolate; fresh Kiwi fruit; wonderful natural yoghurt, soft-boiled egg, assorted croissants AND breads with butter and homemade jams; in a lovely setting (see photo soon when I get the rest of my photos downloaded).

Unique Quality: The over-the-top 18th Century decoration lends a very distinctive, unique atmosphere--SEE their website. The location is superb; being close to the Seine on the right bank and in the middle of Le Marais, i.e., lots of restaurants and sight-seeing.

• tmikeyt's Profile Photo

Romantic litlte hotel

First, I should begin, by stating that I last stayed in this hotel in July 1994 and plenty can change in 10 years.

At the time of my stay, the hotel had undergone a recent renovation and this was part of the reason for my selection of it. That and because of the proximity to a few places I'd care to visit. Also it was in the Marais District which had come into popularity at the time.

At the time, I was working as a 'sometimes' travel agent, and used that status to claim for myself a discounted room on an upper floor with a balcony to overlook the street..

I chose this place from a guide and tried to place a phone call. We had a bad connection and the proprietor spoke little English and I spoke absolutely no French (shame on me).

So we decided I would place a fax to their number and we would work arrangements by fax. Of course these days, you have the possibility to place your reservation online.

My stay went without problem except at checkout, when the manager seemed to lose my room key and as I left, still could not find it. I presume housekeeping or someone took it as I was in process of checking out.

I would suggest you take a look additionally at trip advisor and research this property. If you follow the links, you can find several people who have stayed at this hotel in recent years who will seem to share about the same sentiments I had of it.

Unique Quality: I think probably the best qualities of the staff at the time of my stay was that first, I got a travel agents discount, which is quite a lot. Aside from this, I was given a nice room upstairs, not quite high enough, yet still with a room, overlooking the street and some of the buildings outside.

The room came with a double bed, most approximately the size of an American Queen size bed. I was somewhat displeased with the odd arrangement for the tub. A bathtub with a flexible shower stalk, but no shower curtain, made for a damp situation. I don't enjoy baths, and prefer a shower and made the most of the situation in the best possible way. However, the bathroom was charming and was not cramped by any means. The furnishings had a look of antique, but were somewhat inexpensive reproductions and rather looked it. Overall the room was certainly nice enough. I wouldn't want to pay full price for this room though. My rate was about $110 per night and that was before the Euro and when you could get about 6 Ffr for one US Dollar. So now, if you look at the rates, which really haven't changed much in several years, you can see the difference in what I paid and what they charge your average guest.

The best things about this hotel were the staff and the simple but nice breakfast each morning. It wasn't like a German breakfast buffet, yet wasn't as simple as an Italian breakfast, being only a piece of bread or two and some coffee. Here, you would get wonderful, fresh croissants, yogurt, juice and magnificent coffee. It was just the right amount. I think you also had some option to poached eggs.

Other features were that it wasn't a long walk to the Cathedral, nor the Seine. The Picasso museum wasn't far either.

It's a nice little place, but I think you can find a better value for the money. I think should I return to Paris in coming years, I'll take a simple, straightforward Holiday Inn, if available and spend my money on more meaningful things.

More about Caron de Beaumarchais

My favorite Parisian hotel

by TripAdvisor Member PrimaDawna

I really liked staying at the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais. The rooms are small (like every other hotel room in Europe) but they are clean and charming. We loved our rapid morning delivery of breads and cafe au lait. At first I was not pleased with the location being so far from St. Germain des Pres but it just gave us a reason to take late night strolls arm in arm across the bridges. The hotel is located in a nice neighborhood with a wonderful boulangerie just down the street.

One negative comment... Paris is dead in August. When we made our reservation, we were told it was not necessary as the hotel was going to be empty. I insisted on a reservation anyway and told the father that we would be arriving very early morning. He said it would be no problem to check in early. When we arrived from Los Angeles via Chicago after 20 hours of travel we were told our room was not ready. We were forced to wait 5 hours to check in. Had we known, we would have booked for the previous night also.

We visit Paris about once a year and this is the first time we have stayed at a hotel where we would return.

Perfect

Mid July 2004: We loved this hotel! The place has such a good vibe to it- at the end of our stay, we didn't want to go. We had a 6th floor room with balcony(we recommend), so everyday we would have our own picnic lunch on the balcony watching Paris go by. We really felt like we were part of the city, not just tourists. We decided to bypass the breakfast and opted for the patisserie down the street. Either way, I'm sure you'll be pleased. They say the 6th floor rooms are the smallest but we were pleasantly surprised by how large it was. (And we've had the European experience of tiny rooms)
The staff were very helpful and friendly, and the location was fantastic! We will not think of anywhere else to stay when we come back to Paris.

Wonderful to stay here on my birthday

My fiance and I stayed here for three nights and absolutely loved how quaint and charming it was. The location is fantastic and it still feels private and protected. We had a magnificent view and were very pleased. This ended up surpassing our much more expensive room we had at another hotel at the end of our trip. I would love to stay here again.

quaint,quiet hotel with nice personal touch

My husband and i stayed at this hotel from the 6th to the 9th of october 2004.The hotel was exactly as we had expected both from the information given on its website and from the reviews we had read.The hotel is small, as are the rooms- but very charming.My husband and i found the reception staff very helpful and pleasant.The room was nice and clean,quaint and quiet at night.Also the hotel is in a good location with lots of shops and restaurants nearby and a metro station just a few hundred yards down the road.All in all we had a very nice trip with nothing negative to say.I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Delightful!

My husband and i stayed here on the first week of our honeymoon last year. It was absolutely lovely. We found it charming, the location perfect, the room was very clean and the staff was very helpful. We will definitely stay there on our next trip.

Great experience

My husband and I just returned from Paris and stayed 6 nights here. We had a balcony room which was just perfect. There were no surprises at this hotel and everything was right on target. The Marias district is a lively, fun place to stay. I would recomend this hotel to anyone.

What can I say.....

by TripAdvisor Member BenW

It was Paris in September; flawless weather, friendly people and the wonderful Caron de Beaumarchais. We spent 8 nights there. The neighborhood was fabulous. No freaking tourists messing up the place; just Parisians going about their daily lives. CDB is within three blocks of Notre Dame and two metro stops. We would like to stay at the Crillon, but will no doubt stay here from now on. Reasonable, clean, small, cute, nice, good breakfast. Take your pick. I recommend it without reservation (lord knows you will need one well in advance). Amex taken without problem. You will not go wrong here!

Huge difference between their website and the reality!!!

My husband I had only two nights (one night on our arrival day and the other one before our departure) spend in Paris as we were going to Brittany for the rest of the vacations.

The location is great, but if you drive, it becomes a headache as there is no parking to even empty your car. There is a parking 500 meters away from the hotel: I warn you, very expensive! In addition, the rooms are really, really, small. Their website make their rooms look way prettier and bigger. The breakfast (room service) was wonderful.

Anyway, one week into our vacations, my husband got sick and we had to cancel the second reservation. I called the hotel (so one week before) to tell them that we could not come, explaining them the reasons. The guy was very short and rude telling me that it was not his problem and that he would bill us anyway, because we did not cancel the reservation 15 days in advance.
They indeed billed us for $ 159. Disgusting.

I will never go back there.

Comments