Caron de Beaumarchais

ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Step Back to 18th Century

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 26, 2009

We stayed for 4 nights during Easter week. Since we were on a long trip and this hotel is already well out of the 'budget' category, I booked their least expensive room, but was surprised to find that the description on their website as to "Courtyard" room, actually should have read, "Air Shaft"!! and a very small one at that, which meant that the only window, which opened onto it only gave a view of a nearby concrete wall and some air. Therefore, we felt a little claustrophobic when in the room, as it also was the usual tiny, can-hardly-turn-around-in space.
Otherwise, the stay was good; of course the staff very personable and helpful. The room was equipped with WiFI and TV with CNN International channel; hairdryer provided in bathroom and ours had a tub/shower.
The breakfast, as evidently at many hotels, is also a bit expensive, but for 12.50Euros/pp it was quite full, including coffee, tea or chocolate; fresh Kiwi fruit; wonderful natural yoghurt, soft-boiled egg, assorted croissants AND breads with butter and homemade jams; in a lovely setting (see photo soon when I get the rest of my photos downloaded).

Unique Quality: The over-the-top 18th Century decoration lends a very distinctive, unique atmosphere--SEE their website. The location is superb; being close to the Seine on the right bank and in the middle of Le Marais, i.e., lots of restaurants and sight-seeing.

tmikeyt's Profile Photo

Romantic litlte hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 6, 2004

First, I should begin, by stating that I last stayed in this hotel in July 1994 and plenty can change in 10 years.

At the time of my stay, the hotel had undergone a recent renovation and this was part of the reason for my selection of it. That and because of the proximity to a few places I'd care to visit. Also it was in the Marais District which had come into popularity at the time.

At the time, I was working as a 'sometimes' travel agent, and used that status to claim for myself a discounted room on an upper floor with a balcony to overlook the street..

I chose this place from a guide and tried to place a phone call. We had a bad connection and the proprietor spoke little English and I spoke absolutely no French (shame on me).

So we decided I would place a fax to their number and we would work arrangements by fax. Of course these days, you have the possibility to place your reservation online.

My stay went without problem except at checkout, when the manager seemed to lose my room key and as I left, still could not find it. I presume housekeeping or someone took it as I was in process of checking out.

I would suggest you take a look additionally at trip advisor and research this property. If you follow the links, you can find several people who have stayed at this hotel in recent years who will seem to share about the same sentiments I had of it.

Unique Quality: I think probably the best qualities of the staff at the time of my stay was that first, I got a travel agents discount, which is quite a lot. Aside from this, I was given a nice room upstairs, not quite high enough, yet still with a room, overlooking the street and some of the buildings outside.

The room came with a double bed, most approximately the size of an American Queen size bed. I was somewhat displeased with the odd arrangement for the tub. A bathtub with a flexible shower stalk, but no shower curtain, made for a damp situation. I don't enjoy baths, and prefer a shower and made the most of the situation in the best possible way. However, the bathroom was charming and was not cramped by any means. The furnishings had a look of antique, but were somewhat inexpensive reproductions and rather looked it. Overall the room was certainly nice enough. I wouldn't want to pay full price for this room though. My rate was about $110 per night and that was before the Euro and when you could get about 6 Ffr for one US Dollar. So now, if you look at the rates, which really haven't changed much in several years, you can see the difference in what I paid and what they charge your average guest.

The best things about this hotel were the staff and the simple but nice breakfast each morning. It wasn't like a German breakfast buffet, yet wasn't as simple as an Italian breakfast, being only a piece of bread or two and some coffee. Here, you would get wonderful, fresh croissants, yogurt, juice and magnificent coffee. It was just the right amount. I think you also had some option to poached eggs.

Other features were that it wasn't a long walk to the Cathedral, nor the Seine. The Picasso museum wasn't far either.

It's a nice little place, but I think you can find a better value for the money. I think should I return to Paris in coming years, I'll take a simple, straightforward Holiday Inn, if available and spend my money on more meaningful things.

Nearby Caron de Beaumarchais

• Shuttle Service
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

Paris Travel Forum

Need advice about Paris, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Paris and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Paris hotel reviews