De l'Odeon Hotel

13 rue Saint-Sulpice, 6th Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75006, France (formerly hotel de Rocroy)

Hotel Odeon Saint-Germain
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 87% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• ScubaBoy's Profile Photo

Small but perfectly formed!

A lovely little hotel in a great location in the Latin Quarter and very close to 2 metro stations.

We had room 1 which has the classic parisan tall windows and a comfortable 4 poster bed. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, as I was expecting tiny rooms as per many of the reports on the virtual tourist site, but the room was fine for my wife and I.

Breakfast was nice, and available in your room for no extra cost, just remember to order it the night before.

All the staff we found spoken good or adequate english, and they enjoyed laughing at our attempts at french.

I found it a little strange that the en suite bathroom only had a bath, rather than a shower, so not a hotel for the eco traveller, but my wife loved the bath and constant hot water.

I can't comment on the value for money as we booked this via Airmiles, but the payment using the airmiles pre-pay voucher was very smooth.

Unique Quality: 4 poster bed (in at least room 1)
    Breakfast in bed (at no extra cost)
    Great location for the Latin Quarter, Metro and Saint Sulpice.
    FuBar a few doors down is great for a nightcap - great cocktails.

Directions: From Odeon Metro, go up the slight hill beside the HSBC bank with the Horse Tavern in front of you, bear to the right, & Rue Saint Sulpice is the second right. The hotel is green on the outside, about half way down on the left.

More about De l'Odeon Hotel

We Loved the Hotel Odeon Saint-Germain...

by TripAdvisor Member antbloom

Small, chic and superbly decorated hotel in Saint-Germain district, the Odeon Saint-Germain surpassed the expectations we had of a hotel at this price or indeed of hotels costing much more. Every member of staff from Brice the manager to the porters was warm and welcoming and it was obvious they loved their hotel and their role in making our stay memorable. Our beautifully decorated room was of a decent size considering the building is almost 600 years old with all the comforts expected of a modern hotel including double glazing, air-conditioning, LCD television, well stocked mini-bar, safe and lovely bathroom. This is now our hotel of choice in Paris and we're happy to recomend it to all...

Perfect and Elegantly Understated.

by TripAdvisor Member EuroStyle

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Odeon Saint-Germain for seven nights in November of 2007. This was our First Wedding Anniversary, and as we have been to Paris before, we wanted a quieter but still elegant location. The Odeon definately lived up to our expectations. We had informed the property that we'd be landing very early and wanted to leave our bags....when we caught an RER Express train from CDG and arrived even earlier, they told us to go have breakfast and in one hour we could have a room ....we were shocked! This was the first of many nice gestures during our stay. After breakfast at the Cafe Danton around the corner, we came back and voila! We had a cute room, number 31....after a qucik shower and nap we were off into the city and it made such a great start to our stay. The place was sold out before and after our stay, so they really hustled to make that happen for us. Our room was in the back and very quiet, which was great because that part of rue Saint Sulpice is a bit noisy when cars go by on account of it being a skinny street and echoing. Our room had a great bed with canaopy, and very modern bathroom with an American rainfall shower, which was a suprise and nice bonus. The entire hotel looks like it was just redone, and the tile in the bathroom looked like no one had even walked on it before. The room was not huge (but that is Paris), but neat, cute and very liveable. The daily housekeeping was perfect and the staff friendly and unobtrusive. We did not eat at the hotel as there are so many great places a scant 1 1/2 blocks over on Blvd St Germain. There is a modern computer tucked in a corner of the lobby with free internet which was a nice touch, and a small sitting room right when you walk in on the left where guests waited for us. On the last day, they gladly stored bags for us, and we were sad to leave. Sitting here we cannot think of one thing negative about the property or our stay.....it ranks better then other stays at pricier hotels like the Costes and way cheaper. We will definatley stay here again......

Perfect Hotel in a Perfect Place

by TripAdvisor Member Peter_Guillam

The Hotel de l'Odeon was recommended to me by an American friend who is in Paris frequently and visited the hotel in March of 2007 while the renovations were being completed. He speaks French and so offered to call and also use the hotel's website to make the reservation for me. My wife and I stayed five days there in June of this year. By then the renovations were complete and what I found was a small (28 rooms), perfect gem in perhaps the most charming area of Paris. The rooms -- we asked to see more than one so that we could recommend the hotel to our friends -- are beautifully, artistically done, quiet and comfortable, with every convenience. The front desk and staff are attentive and eager to help in every way. The hotel presents a charming aspect on a quiet street leading to the church of St. Sulpice, and near the Odeon Theatre -- you're really where the Latin Quarter and Saint-Germain-des-Pres meet, and that's the best place to be in Paris. This is an exclusive "boutique" hotel for those who want the best yet in a small format. Paris itself is better when experienced in a hotel like this. We may just return here every year. And the photos on the hotel's website, I would suggest, are a most accurate rendering.

Do Not Stay Here, you will be ripped off!

by TripAdvisor Member sflovesgirltrips

This hotel took advantage of american women. They changed the hotel rate on us at the last minute, then agreed to accomodate us, but then to only overcharge us at check-out.
They were extremely difficult to communicate with and managed to cancel 2 of our dinner reservations we had made weeks prior to arriving in Paris. The rooms were extremely small, as well as tiny bathrooms. There were zero extra amenities and some of the hotel personnel were outright rude to us.
There are so many other better values in the same neighborhood. I would never stay here again, nor recommend it to anyone. In fact, i will be spreading the word quite quickly as to the bad nature and bad stay we had at this hotel.

One of the Worst Hotel Experiences I Have Ever Had

by TripAdvisor Member scammedinparis

Where do I begin? From lying concierges to canceled reservations, to worst of all, a bill that charged for 6 people when there were only 5 and then scammed an additional 200 Euros out of one of our unwitting travelmates, we saw it all.

First, we arrived at the hotel only to be treated awfully by desk attendant/concierge #1 (in a series). We asked him to confirm our reservation for the evening that had been made weeks ago -- without calling the restaurant he assured us that the restaurant was closed until after January 1st. We asked that he call to confirm -- he refused to and said "no restaurant in Paris will pick up the phone after 8:00 p.m." We learned just a day later that the restaurant was open the whole time. Desk attendant #1 also treated us rudely, lectured us on how "you are in Paris now" and refused to provide any assistance at all. Desk attendant #2, for his part, was initially helpful (named Jean), only for him to supposedly make us a reservation
on a different night. We traveled across the city to the reservation and were told by the restaurant that the hotel had canceled the reservation. Worst of all, however (desk attendant #2) had quoted us before our trip a price that we all agreed on -- two rooms for 5 people. When it came time to pay the bill, suddenly he tried to charge
us the three person price for both rooms. After much hand-wringing and
showing him the emails on which he quoted the original price, he accepted our payment. The four of us left before out last travelmate, who left a couple of hours later. Not knowing that we had the argument
about the bill, the last travelmate asked desk attendant #2 if it was taken care of. Seeing a golden opportunity to scam the group out of more money, #2 told our travelmate that we left her an additional 200 Euros to be paid without any explanation. She paid it, not knowing the
difference. Now the hotel refuses to refund the money or even explain how they arrived at their inexpicable prices. Truly awful. There are so many amazing places to stay in St. Germain - why would anyone ever stay here? Overpriced, rude, cramped, unreliable and who knows how much you will allegedly "owe" upon check out?

A Hotel for Those Who Love Paris

by TripAdvisor Member hsydhdhd

My December stay in this superb hotel was full of surprises--all of them pleasant and appreciated.

I have lost track of how many times I've stayed at this hotel ("my" Paris hotel) over the years, so I was eager to see for myself this year's renovations. What an elegant upgrade! The lobby has been transformed into a beautiful conversation area; my room (#15) was more elegant than ever--new appointments, upholsteries, and bath. It was hard to imagine how the hotel might be made more charming, but this is what has happened.

Of course, the best reason to stay at this hotel has not changed: its location in the heart of the 5th arrondissement, steps away from all the Rive Gauche venues those who love Paris want to experience. The staff continues to be helpful and the hotel's services are impeccable.

I'm looking forward to my next stay!

JC

One word : FABULOUS !

by TripAdvisor Member MartinVA

My Stay at the Hotel Odeon St Germain was marvelous. I Stayed there with my wife and our two children. The Hotel is perfectly located, in Paris' Historic city center. There are plenty of shops around, restaurants, bars, and it is really easy to move from there to anywhere in Paris. The Service was perfect, and all the personel was really available and nice to us. The rooms are large and nicely decorated, everything is provided, including a private sauna in our room which was great after a day walking in Paris (ask for room N°39) and free broadband access in both the rooms we had.

I really recommend this hotel, and I already recommended it to all my friends planning to go to Paris

A Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member jenneritt

We booked this hotel (the Hotel Odeon St-Germain on St. Sulpice in the St. Germain de Pres - there are several "Hotel Odeon's" in Paris, so be careful) after reading TripAdvisor reviews for a 5-night anniversary trip to Paris. I was expecting a small room, and was not disappointed on that front. The room was miniscule with a depressing view of the "courtyard", and we had even upgraded to a slightly larger
(i.e., more expensive) chamber. It was well appointed, but it was difficult to find room for our luggage and there was no closet space, and only 4 shelves for clothing. The bathroom had a shower, but no tub, and it likewise, was only large enough to fit one person at a time. The shower was nice and spacious, however. Our neighbor was smoking like a chimney throughout our stay, so even though the hotel was advertised as non-smoking, it wasn't on my trip, with smoke permeating everything and the staff completely unconcerned. Although others have commented that all Paris rooms are small, that is not true. I've previously stayed in Le Grand (near the Opera Garnier) and the room would have fit a Winnebago and had a gorgeous view of the opera house. I also see that others have said that the staff were nice
and helpful. I would agree that they were nice (all spoke English well), but they were not at all helpful, and often seemed put-out if you asked a question. We left after fifteen minutes of waiting for the
evening desk clerk to finish a personal phone call at one point. Another night, I asked the clerk if I could still buy a drink from the
honor bar. He said no, that it closed at 10, although it was only 9:45
pm; he simply didn't want to be bothered. And worse, when we got food poisoning from the oyster restaurant that the hotel recommends on their web site and advertises in the lobby (partially my fault for eating raw seafood), we called down to enquire about a doctor. The desk person said they could call one, but when was asked how much it would cost, they said they didn't know. They suggested a pharmacy if we were concerned about cost. Now, for a $100 night hotel, I would expect this level of service, but I was paying close to $300 a night, I had just explained that we were tremendously ill and couldn't even get out of bed. I would have expected the hotel to call and enquire on
the doctor's fee and then ring us back. It would have been nice had they offered to run someone to the pharmacy for us, but at least they could have checked on a doctor. Then, when I checked out of the hotel,
the desk clerk was having trouble with her printer, so I couldn't get an itemized receipt so that I could get the substantial 15% rebate on the VAT tax. She said she would email it to me, which they still haven't done. On the positive side, the location was excellent, and very near the Odeon metro stop. But next time, I will certainly pay a little extra and stay somewhere else with a better reputation. I prefer boutique hotels, but at this one, the service and room were definitely subpar for the price.

It's okay for a boutique hotel in Paris

by TripAdvisor Member bermondsey_traveller

Can't comment on price as this was booked for me as a business trip but as far as boutique hotels go, it was comfortable and doing a fairly good job of looking hip, which it was certainly there to do. All in all, the best place I've stayed in Paris on business so far.

My only problem with this place was the sense that it was just a bit too cramped to fit everything in that it wanted to. Bedrooms had ornate drapes over the bed and were just a bit too 'burlesque' for the amount of space available. Breakfast was served on bar tables, which didn't seem right somehow.

Very nice for a paid-for business trip but would I bother with L'Odeon for a romantic getaway or a personal trip to Paris? Probably not because there are so many other hotels that would probably suit my needs and presumably my wallet better.

Comments