Exclusive Splendid Eiffel

Hotel Splendid Tour Eiffel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Splendid Hotel

I stayed at the Hotel Splendid in the 7th Arr. in the last week in March 2005 with my girlfriend and we were very impressed with the hotel. Our room had a balcony with a suburb view of the Eiffel Tower! The location of the Hotel was perfect, it felt like real Paris, away from the the main tourist areas whilst still being only a pleasant ten minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and the Seine. The Splendid is located on the Place de L'Ecole Militaire, which contains a couple of good eateries, a Metro station and a supermarche which is handy for a quick breakfast before a day of site seeing.
    The hotel was clean and the staff friendly and all spoke excellent English.
    When I visit Paris again, I will definitely try to stay in the Hotel Splendid.

Unique Quality: Great view of Eiffel Tower

Directions: 7th Arr.

• suzyav8trix's Profile Photo

A fair deal, not too far from tour d'Eiffel

My husband and I enjoyed our 3 night stay at this little hotel in June 2003. It was 99 euro a night and the exchange rate was ok back then so it was about $100 a night. (this was high season -- I see from their website that their prices have increased, dramatically, about 50%!)

The front desk staff were great -- even if we were dumb, rude Americans, which we were at the time. (I had not yet refreshed my French or read about the customs and applied them like I have since...)

The room was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in -- and I've been a lot of places in Europe. But it was clean and we didn't spend much time there and it was quiet and the bed was comfortable. And we could see the Eiffel tower from our window. The bathroom was about the same size as the bedroom -- so it was actually on the large side. There was no air conditioning, but a room fan was provided and of couse, we could open the windows and it did cool down at night.

It was close to the metro stop Ecole Militaire and you could walk to the Eiffel tower.

Since we had to travel to Le Bourget everyday, this wasn't the most convenient of hotels for us (me bad.) I would recommend it, though, as the price wasn't bad and the accomodations were quite nice, if the location is right for you...

Directions: It's about 1/2 way between the Eiffel Tower and Invalides

More about Exclusive Splendid Eiffel

Great Location for the Price...

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagoExplorer

I recently stayed at Hotel Splendid. The room was small, but the location is terrific. If you are looking for a moderate-priced hotel room in Paris, this place was perfect. One tip...try to book a room on one of the upper floors, if possible. The views are better and there is less street noise.

Just okay

by TripAdvisor Member Lucybird

I booked the Hotel Splendid for my boyfriend and I's anniversary in May. We paid a lot more for this room then we had for other rooms in Paris and it was a tad disappointing for the price. Our room stunk like stale cigarettes (I know--common in Europe--but none of our other hotels had this problem) and the bedspread had a decent sized hole in it. The balcony was small but the view was nice...that is definitely the only reason to spend the extra money here. The staff was great, though the maid came in while we were still asleep in the morning. I probably wouldn't stay here again unless I got a much better rate.

The Perfect Neighborhood

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Splendid during our first ever trip to Paris. Our first impressions were fabulous as we came up the stairs of the nearby metro stop into the neighborhood. A VERY lovely area. The hotel was just a short stroll down a lovely greenspace away from the Tour Eiffel. The room was clean and quiet. A bit cramped but not too small. The staff was somewhat friendly but not great. Our only complaints are the lack of air conditioning and a bad shower curtain experience. Overall, a GREAT location and a good hotel for the price. We would stay there again.

A great stay

by TripAdvisor Member whiteoakmark

We just returned from a Valentine's Day / Week-end in Paris, and staying at the Hotel Splendid was a wise choice.

The location was PERFECT! A 10-minute walk to the Eiffel Tower, 5 minute walk to Rue Cler, 2 minute walk to Metro station (Ecoile Militaire), 10 minutes from Napoleon's Tomb, a 6 Euro cab ride to the Bateaux Mouches (river boat cruises). I can't emphasize enough the efficiency of the Metro, so having a stop this close is a plus. There is an ATM right across the street.

The local bistros were great. For non-smokers, go to "BistroB"-----they have a non-smoking section! This is about a 10-minute walk from the hotel. We also skipped the 12 Euro breakfast, and opted for local cafe au lait and croissants. Your choices for restaurants are limited on Sundays; many are closed.

The room was more than adequate. We paid US$125 (thru Expedia) and paid a 65 Euro upgrade per night for a Junior Suite-----this afforded us the Eiffel Tower view; for a special trip with your significant other, I think it is worth the $210 per night price tag. If you want to skip the view, then go with a standard room.

The bed was not the greatest, but after walking (and climbing steps at Notre Dame and Arch de Triomphe!), eating and drinking all day and night....the bed didn't stop us from sleeping (and other things). The bath was larger than those we've experienced in London and Dublin. The electric heaters warmed the rooms quickly. I am not sure about Air Conditioning------this could be something to ask about in summer months.

Go to the small convenience store across the street and buy "Kronenbourg 1664" ---in bottles---for less than 2 Euros each. You can replace the 5 Euro offerings in the mini bar as you drink them. (I may not be Rick Steves, but that is my helpful hint to make Europe more affordable!)

The desk personnel were extremely friendly and helpful. Especially "Frederick"----he seemed to be working all the time!

If you go in the spring and summer, you have to go to Rue Cler (3 blocks away), pick up picnic supplies (bread, meat, cheese and wine) and walk just a couple of minutes to dine on Champs du Mars, in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower.

The 7th Arr. is THE area to stay, and the Hotel Splendid is an affordable option. We would definitely stay here again!

Gag! Room 106 was terrible!

by TripAdvisor Member ButterYellow

I guess some of the rooms in this hotel must be adequate for these other people to rate this hotel well. I can't see how they would if they stayed in room 106!

We asked for a top floor and got the bottom floor. Maybe the higher up rooms are nicer, I don't know. Our room was dingy with stained and worn carpet, a dirty looking lumpy bed, door frame coming off the wall, all around gross. Like other reviewers said, the bathroom was moderately clean. I was shocked! Although the cleaning lady did leave behind some black hairs in the tub and on the floor....gag!

Yes, the location is good, but next time we're going to book through priceline. Our friends got a 5 star for the same price we paid. It was further away from the main sites in Paris, but it's only about a dollar to ride the metro back to the area.

Je t'aime, Paris!

by suzyav8trix

"Paris -- Ooh la la!!!"

As I prepare for my 3rd trip to Paris, this June (2005), I can't help but think about all the wonderful reasons I can hardly wait to get back.

My first visit was September 1990. It was a week's trip for my 1st wedding anniversary. My husband and I were living in Zurich, Switzerland at the time. We took a train to Geneva and then took the TGV to Paris. My husband is a train nut, so he was in his glory. I had bought the package through American Express, I think. I don't remember which train station we arrived at, but we had a Holiday Inn hotel reservation someplace NOT in the center of the city. The weather most days was overcast and misty. But it was my 1st anniversary -- so what did I care? We saw all the "musts" that week -- the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Musee d'Orsay, the Arc de Triumph, the Champs Elysees, Versailles. It poured rain the day we went to Versailles. We took the metro everywhere. I went to the flagship Hermes store and bought my 1st Hermes scarf. It's still my favorite. We flew back to Zurich out of CDG on Air France.

I need to find the pictures from that trip. I know they're packed away in one of my many boxes. All in all, I have to say that after that first trip, I was in love with Paris.

It was nearly 13 years later when we made our second trip. My husband and I both work for an airline. Our airline was getting a brand new Airbus A320 aircaft from the factory in Toulouse, France in June 2003. We are both "plane" nuts and we figured why not attend the Paris Air Show and then go down to Toulouse and return on the delivery flight? (for all you airplane buffs out there, see my "Delivery Flight" chapter for more info on that)

So, we bought tix on Continental Airlines. Although our airline employee benefits gave us an opportunity to fly much more inexpensively -- we did not want to risk "stand-by." Service on CO from Phoenix to Houston was the same as any other airline. It was a morning flight, so we had coffee and a bag of peanuts. What can I say about our flight from Houston to Paris? It was a Boeing 777 aircraft in economy for approx. 9 and 1/2 hours. While each seat had personal entertainment, the system was old and slow and not easy to use -- especially if you wanted to change programs. (Having just flown to London on British Airways in Dec 2002, that was my camparison for this CO flight.) The system on BA was much faster and more modern. The seats were about the same -- not very comfortable, but adequate. I'm short, so I really can't fairly comment about the legroom. The food on CO was salty, fatty, and bland. I don't remember what it was, except that I barely picked at it. Soft drinks were free; there was a charge for wine, beer, and cocktails on CO (not on BA). As I had been looking forward to a glass of wine on my way to PARIS, I was very dissappointed that I would have to pay for it. I did not partake as I saw that it was some no-name American swill that they were serving. I slept for most of the flight, thankfully. Upon arrival at CDG it took 70 minutes for our luggage to arrive. If I have a choice, I will choose not to fly Continental Airlines again.

We stayed at Hotel Splendid in the 7th, near the metro stop Ecole Militaire. We did not rent a car and took the train and metro from CDG to the hotel. Up and down stairs -- with our luggage -- I'm sure we were obviously tourists. But it was a lot cheaper than a taxi and a good workout, too. I have the largest wheeled carry-on allowed, one tote bag, and my purse. I never travel with more luggage than I can handle by myself -- so it really wasn't that bad. But it did make me wonder what handicapped people do in Paris -- they must not use the metro?

"Paris - June 2003"

Anyways, back in 2003 the Hotel Splendid was 99 euro a night and the exchange rate was much more favorable then. Our room did have a view of the Eiffel Tower. (I'll fill out a hotel tip for this hotel for more info, have a look there.) It was clean and comfortable and we spent very little time there.

We went to the Paris Air Show for 2 days. We traveled by metro and RER to Le Bourget and then took the special show shuttle bus. The PAS is unlike any other airshow I've been to -- it's more like a giant trade show with some flight demonstrations thrown in for fun. We enjoyed every moment of it. So, much so that it's the main reason we're going back again this year.

We had very little time to see Paris this trip; although we did go up the Eiffel Tower at night -- very romantic! And had dinner with a friend in the Latin Quarter...at a pizza place and we drank German beer!

Our time in Paris in 2003 was short and soon we were off to Toulouse via Orly. Our hotel staff told us about the Air France bus -- what a deal! It was like 10 euro each from Invalides and we only had to go up the 3 steps of the bus and our luggage was secure below and soon we were at ORY. I wish I had known about the Air France bus sooner -- it makes a few stops throughout Paris and runs to/from both Orly and Charles DuGualle. And, it's air conditioned.

We took Air France from ORY to TLS (Toulouse.) Very nice, short flight that included a typical French sandwich on a crusty baguette. You can read more about Toulouse on my Toulouse page. We returned to Phoenix from Toulouse via Prestwick, Scotland and Bangor, Maine on a brand-new Airbus A320 ferry flight. It was a privelage and quite wonderful.

And so you may be wondering how I came to love Air France so much... Well, I've been to Toulouse twice in the last 6 months (Nov/Dec 2004 and Feb 2005) and traveled both times on Air France -- a 777 out of Houston and a 747 out of Los Angeles, both in economy class, and return. All flights were tres magnifique! Seats and legroom were more or less the same as those on BA. But the food was better. And the wine and cocktails were free! I had a male flight attendant on my CDG-IAH flight believing that I could speak and understand French -- that was until he asked me something that I could not answer! He was thoroughly charming and I had fantastic service! Now, I must admit, the AF staff on the ground -- at Houston, LAX, or CDG -- can be quite haughty. All I can recommend is to re4member your manners, greet them with Bonjour, try your French, and you may be able to charm them -- but not always. I must also state that I was traveling "stand-by" on all of these flights and still received this wonderful level of service. I also have a friend that works for Air France at ORY and he reassured me about making connections at CDG -- as long as you're staying on Air France, they're pretty easy. Ok, I've gone on long enough about AF. When we go this June, we've splurged and bought business class tix. I'll have to let you know if it was worth it... A bientot.

Hotels in Lyon, Nice, Monaco and Marseille

by rajiv00

Hi All,

Does anyone recommend any good, clean hotels in Lyon, Nice, Monaco and Marseille? My budget per night is about 60 Euros (about $80) but I could go higher if I get a really nice hotel located in some fabulous place.

Thanks for all your help. Hotel names would be nice along with address and phone number if possible.

Rajiv

Re: Hotels in Lyon, Nice, Monaco and Marseille

by JoeNYC

I've stayed at the Hotel Splendid in Nice and it was pretty good. You'll probably have to spend a bit more than that but it would depend on the time. I got a great deal right after the high season in October. It's a short walk from the Promeaede and it has a nice rooftop bar and pool. Not a far walk from the rail station as well.

Here's the link:

I never had hotels in the other places, sorry.

Have fun on the cote d’azur!!

Re: Re: Hotels in Lyon, Nice, Monaco and Marseille

by Mique

Try these links http://www.france.hotels-france.com/us/index.php

and my personal favorite http://www.hotels-de-charme.com/

Re: Re: Hotels in Lyon, Nice, Monaco and Marseille

by Hamster_Huey

Just so you know, 60 Euros are more like 70 USD...

Comments